MGB video: McCarney names top three in QB race

Brett Vito

Not experienced with defensive formations, but when "odd front" is being thrown around, does that mean we are lining up a LB at the LOS, having a DE stand up, or taking the center head on?

Kinda curious to what that does, if anyone will indulge.

• Upvote 1

Not experienced with defensive formations, but when "odd front" is being thrown around, does that mean we are lining up a LB at the LOS, having a DE stand up, or taking the center head on?

Ok the past few seasons we have been an "even" front team. That means 4 down lineman. "Odd" front means anywhere from 3/5/7 guys on the line. Most of the time it means taking a DL out and putting in another LB or DB. 3-4 is an odd front defense, 4-3 is an even front defense, 5-2 odd. Hope that clears things up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Odd front means what shade the DL is playing. Generally speaking when a DL lines up directly over an OL/TE it would be an even shade (6,4,2), but if he lines up on the outside shoulder (9,7,5,3,1) that would be an odd technique. Inside shoulders are given an even number with i so 2i would be the inside should of a G. 1 would be the A gap between G an C, 3 would be the B gap between G and T. 5 is outside shoulder of T. 7 is inside shoulder of TE or completely outside an OT. 9 or wide 9 is outside should of TE or way way outside of OT. See Detroit Lions for a wide 9.

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 1

Ok the past few seasons we have been an "even" front team. That means 4 down lineman. "Odd" front means anywhere from 3/5/7 guys on the line. Most of the time it means taking a DL out and putting in another LB or DB. 3-4 is an odd front defense, 4-3 is an even front defense, 5-2 odd. Hope that clears things up.

Awesome thanks. Interesting situations that would create...

Odd front means what shade the DL is playing. Generally speaking when a DL lines up directly over an OL/TE it would be an even shade (6,4,2,0), but if he lines up on the outside shoulder (9,7,5,3,1) that would be an odd technique. Inside shoulders are given an even number with i so 2i would be the inside should of a G. 1 would be the A gap between G an C, 3 would be the B gap between G and T. 5 is outside shoulder of T. 7 is inside shoulder of TE or completely outside an OT. 9 or wide 9 is outside should of TE or way way outside of OT. See Detroit Lions for a wide 9.

Ok so our DEs will get to use their speed more instead of having to go 1-on-1 with a tackle?

Odd front has nothing to do with where you are lined up..it is the # of players you have lined up. Even or odd amount of DL. I could line up in a 4,0,4 and that is not an even front. That is an odd front.

This is what I was thinking.

So we're thinking of standing up one of the DE's? Do we have the size for this kind of DL?

Means has been a little disappointing. He didn't have good stats out of high school, so I was hoping he'd show some signs by now. He didn't make a dent in the QB race last year, and he's 4th out of 4 this year. He's young, so those aren't necessarily bad signs, but they aren't good signs.

Hopefully Dajon can push Mcnulty and Greer, because we need a young QB to step up. No offense to Greer, but hopefully Dajon can pass him up for no reason other than the fact that he is younger and will be here once both Mcnulty and Damarcus Smith run out of eligibility. Coach Mac says they'll cut that group to 2 before spring ends, so it'll be interesting to see if that 2nd guy is Greer or Dajon.

Still don't get why Dillman isn't going to be given a look. I don't think he'll be our QB "savior". I just think he could be a solid CUSA QB if developed properly, and Means has been eliminated from the QB race early on for the 2nd straight spring, and Chumley is almost assuredly not going to stick at QB. Maybe the guy isn't Dillman, but either way this is an issue that needs to get addressed.

• Upvote 2

I think a lot of this odd front stuff has to do with Chad Polk and them playing to his strengths. I think they are giving him an opportunity to stand up and use his quickness to get to the QB in comparison him being down in a 3 point would allow an OT to get his hands on him quicker. This is also Cosh putting his fingerprints on the defense as Aldo is mentioning, a little 3-4/3-5-5. This will be good, by doing this it will allow the most athletic, fastest and best tackling 11 on the field.

I think a lot of this odd front stuff has to do with Chad Polk and them playing to his strengths. I think they are giving him an opportunity to stand up and use his quickness to get to the QB in comparison him being down in a 3 point would allow an OT to get his hands on him quicker. This is also Cosh putting his fingerprints on the defense as Aldo is mentioning, a little 3-4/3-5-5. This will be good, by doing this it will allow the most athletic, fastest and best tackling 11 on the field.

Using a 3-3-5 would make sense with Marshall as the Nickel.

Excited to hear that the defense will be more versatile this year.

I see the defensive front making huge strides in 2015. A full year under the training of Coach Patrick for development plus the scheme nuances of Coach Cosh will pay dividends in a big way. Should hopefully compensate for the lack of experience at LB and in the secondary.