Backlash At UNT Over Governor Abbott At Graduation

I don't think the push back is a bad thing. I think it's healthy and appropriate. I'd be writing the same thing if it was Governor Wendy Davis coming here and conservative students were pushing back against her. We live in political times that are an oil-and-water mix of deeply polarizing and disengaged. Governor Abbott just won a divisive election that featured some prominent cultural issues including abortion and gay marriage. Identity issues like these aren't tax policy or transportation funding; they're intensely personal and I don't think it's practical nor fair to expect people affected by them to ignore it.

Some of our students have some hard feelings towards Governor Abbott because of his stance on these and other issues. Were I one of those students, I'd be upset about his being the commencement speaker because a commencement ceremony is supposed to be about the graduates and their accomplishments, and it's hard to see that when the speaker believes in and advocates for ideas that become official policies that remove agency from you as an individual.

Like some people have posted earlier, I don't expect that Governor Abbott will show up with a partisan barn burner of a speech. I expect he'll give a great speech and that the folks who are upset about it will boycott Commencement or otherwise protest it and that's a healthy thing.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

It was a coup getting Brint Ryan on our BOR.

That guy has invested a lot of cash in this school system for sure

Rick

I just wish he had put that same 100K in an account marked "coaches/AD buyout fund". It would have been a much better use of his money.

Edited by SilverEagle

So, if these dolts get into the real world and they get a new boss or CEO that "doesn't reflect their culture or beliefs", are they going to quit or sign a petition to have them removed?

it's pretty alarming/disappointing that you and so many others equate "the real world" with sacrificing individual principles.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

I just wish he had put that same 100K in an account marked "coaches/AD buyout fund". It would have been a much better use of his money.

You mean $1 Million he gave to UNT Dallas, as $100K wouldn't have been enough to buy anyone out.

I'd like to see some passion for winning and demand for accountability towards athletics from him for sure.

Also, he's part of the group trying to raise funding to renovate the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells.

Rick

You mean $1 Million he gave to UNT Dallas, as $100K wouldn't have been enough to buy anyone out.

I'd like to see some passion for winning and demand for accountability towards athletics from him for sure.

Also, he's part of the group trying to raise funding to renovate the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells.

Rick

Still, it would have been a good start, and a better use of the 100K than donating it to Abbott.

Pitiful that the Governor of Texas charges $100,000 for an appearance in front of the taxpayers/voters who elected him....still, it is a good thing to have the Governor on campus.

If you don't agree with who the speaker is, don't attend. If he speaks to a half full venue, then you have gotten your point across. All this back and forth is pointless.

Except this isn't what will happen. If Abbott doesn't pull out, I expect that his speech will be rudely interrupted by some disgraceful act. I expect it will make all the news channels.

I expect some 21 year olds will be happy to get there local 15 minutes.

• Upvote 3

Minor coup? It was a $100k donation from Brint Ryan to Abbott that got him here "for free". Not much of a coup.

you must not know what curremt speaking fees are. 100k is a coup.

For a comparison, UH is spending $135k for Matthew McConaughey http://m.chron.com/local/education/campus-chronicles/article/UH-to-pay-McConaughey-135-000-actor-will-donate-6171143.php

Except this isn't what will happen. If Abbott doesn't pull out, I expect that his speech will be rudely interrupted by some disgraceful act. I expect it will make all the news channels.

It's fine for people to voice their displeasure at him being named the speaker. If he does give the speech as planned, however, anyone attending should be respectful.

• Upvote 3

I expect some 21 year olds will be happy to get there local 15 minutes.

The sad part is that acting like an ass won't be limited to the 21 year olds.

so...you don't agree with the dissent? and you want it silenced?

Seriously, why can't someone just be big enough to walk away if they don't like the invited speaker, particularly a political one, without making it into a huge spectacle? I just don't get it--what good does it do to hurl insults at a university for having the state's governor come and give a commencement speech, a state that just elected him, rather easily, I might add.

I really don't get that at all, especially at a public university. The same would be the case if Ann Richards had given a commencement speech in Denton back in the 80s. It just makes you sound like the vocal minority that always whine about things when they don't go your way. Just don't go--that is your stance. But accept that a public university is made up of both Dems and Pubs. Its ok to get a liberal speaker, just as it is to get a conservative speaker.

In the end, all this has done is show "intolerance" at a university--which is supposed to be the tower of virtue regarding diversity and tolerance of all things. If a LBGT commencement speaker showed up here, would there people who would go crazy? Yes and they would look remarkably stupid, just like the liberal loudmouths do right now. Its one thing to disagree and to not show up because you don't like the speaker's politics--by the way, that seems incredibly shallow to me--but to go and cry to the media about it is just so weak. I cannot stand Barack Obama, but I'd respectfully listen to a commencement talk he would give at a graduation if for no other reason than he was invited and asked to talk so he deserves to at least be heard, plus he's the freaking President, a position that deserves respect, whether its Bush or Obama or Clinton or Reagan. Same with the governor...

We live in a world where the first thing people are taught to do when they don't agree with something as petty as a guest speaker at a college commencement is to go and stir up the hornet's nest in front of their desired media. Its beyond ridiculous, in my opinion...

• Upvote 7

Seriously, why can't someone just be big enough to walk away if they don't like the invited speaker, particularly a political one, without making it into a huge spectacle? I just don't get it--what good does it do to hurl insults at a university for having the state's governor come and give a commencement speech, a state that just elected him, rather easily, I might add.

I really don't get that at all, especially at a public university. The same would be the case if Ann Richards had given a commencement speech in Denton back in the 80s. It just makes you sound like the vocal minority that always whine about things when they don't go your way. Just don't go--that is your stance. But accept that a public university is made up of both Dems and Pubs. Its ok to get a liberal speaker, just as it is to get a conservative speaker.

In the end, all this has done is show "intolerance" at a university--which is supposed to be the tower of virtue regarding diversity and tolerance of all things. If a LBGT commencement speaker showed up here, would there people who would go crazy? Yes and they would look remarkably stupid, just like the liberal loudmouths do right now. Its one thing to disagree and to not show up because you don't like the speaker's politics--by the way, that seems incredibly shallow to me--but to go and cry to the media about it is just so weak. I cannot stand Barack Obama, but I'd respectfully listen to a commencement talk he would give at a graduation if for no other reason than he was invited and asked to talk so he deserves to at least be heard, plus he's the freaking President, a position that deserves respect, whether its Bush or Obama or Clinton or Reagan. Same with the governor...

We live in a world where the first thing people are taught to do when they don't agree with something as petty as a guest speaker at a college commencement is to go and stir up the hornet's nest in front of their desired media. Its beyond ridiculous, in my opinion...

I want to buy you a beer!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1