Future OOC

DeepGreen

funny/weird/creepy how you count them...

one of two explanations

1. I keep a thorough database of everything you've ever written...divided into no fewer than 75 different sub-headings including "RV Scheduling", "Benford Sucks" and "Old, Out-of-Touch, White Man Rants"

or

2. there's a running total right under your name.

• Upvote 2

That was Purdue. Didn't work out...unless you want to schedule them sometime in the 2020's as I recall. I read the emails from the Purdue AD discussing it...he was all for it, except with all the conference changes he was now locked in until the 2020's sometime.

Yes, I realize it is hard to believe but sometimes it just doesn't work out. And Purdue was not the only P5 talked to about a 1 and 1 that did not work out due to any number of things. Understand some schools got it done...doesn't mean UNT did not try and doesn't mean UNT isn't still trying.

But, you do realize we have a HC very leery of playing P5's at Apogee. He prefers OCC home games he feels UNT has a better than equal chance to win, and so do I for that matter protecting the home turf and building wins at home is very important to our HC.

What is wrong with scheduling in the 2020's?

AState goes to Iowa State in 2024 and hosts in 2025. We wanted earlier but we took what they were offering rather than get nothing.

Terry Mohajir was on CBS Radio yesterday. He was asked how he finagled a home and home with Mizzou. His answer? "We asked. That's how."

one of two explanations

1. I keep a thorough database of everything you've ever written...divided into no fewer than 75 different sub-headings including "RV Scheduling", "Benford Sucks" and "Old, Out-of-Touch, White Man Rants"

or

2. there's a running total right under your name.

I'll take door number 2!

AState goes to Iowa State in 2024 and hosts in 2025. We wanted earlier but we took what they were offering rather than get nothing.

Terry Mohajir was on CBS Radio yesterday. He was asked how he finagled a home and home with Mizzou. His answer? "We asked. That's how."

Man, how did yall get an AD with such foresight and tenacity? I realize that a metropolis like Jonesboro, Arkansas is an attractive place to visit and the bump in recruiting must be phenomenal for Mizzou and Iowa State...I'm certain they just laughed at RV when he called them and asked them to come to podunk Denton in the middle of nowhere where their is certainly no talent to try and recruit.

The sarcasm and irony here just hurts my fingers as I typed this post. :thumbsd:

That's called foresight. Do you seriously think our AD possesses this quality? Really?

Some ADs get it done.

And some are named RV...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This.

And if we are going to play lower division schools lets bring in SFA instead of the likes of Portland....Hell, SFA would travel better than SMU.

I've been saying this for years. Our schedule would be chock-full of Texas programs. So many easy road game destinations. We wouldn't even know what to do with ourselves.

But again, isn't up to UNT entirely. There must be mutual interest in a series between any other program.

• Upvote 1

So I was killing a little time this morning by checking out OOC schedules of our conference foes and ran across WKU's schedule (the probable conference fav, or at least East fav). Not to point the finger away from us to take any well warranted pressure off of our own athletic department, but they are also playing a 5 home game schedule. However, they are playing at three P5 teams... @ Vandy, @ Indiana and @ LSU. Two of those games are going to be winnable for them if their offense is anything close to what is was last year.

Also, we open up our home slate against Rice as everyone knows. However, we are sandwiched in between Texas and Baylor on their schedule. That is very favorable for us. They will be vulnerable and hopefully we will be reeling off of a good W in Dallas the week before.

We travel to Iowa the week after the Rice game and Iowa might be looking ahead because they have a big conference game @ Wisconsin the week after us. Following the Iowa game we travel to Mississippi to play Southern Miss after they will be coming off a probable thrashing @ Nebraska, they also follow our game with a road game @ Marshal.

We come home the week after Southern Miss to hopefully pound Portland for our only sure fire win. At this point of the season, we will have a very realistic chance of being 4-1 before hosting WKU. WKU is a probable loss, but it is a home game and we have proven to be able to win games against better teams at home... 2013 wins over Ball St and Rice...IMO both better teams than us that year and we pulled the W. Nevertheless, probable 4-2 after the WKU game with a shot at 5-1.

Even with the graduation of Cato I believe Marshal is going to be a loss... they have recruited well across the board for the last handful of years and have a couple of really good bruising running backs. Also, our road record, particularly under McCarney is bad so most arrows are pointing to a loss. So a shot at 5-2 at this point with a probable 4-3 record.

After the Marshal game we come home and host utsa. All arrows point to getting our first W vs these dudes, finally. So, a shot at 6-2 after this game but with a probable 5-3 record.

Now, this is where our scheduling is going to hurt us and will be a defining stretch of the season, IMO. November 7-21 we are @ LaTech, @ Tennessee and @ MUTS. To salvage the season into at least a memorable one we will have to win one of these. The most winnable one will be @ MUTS. No team will be vulnerable going into this game vs us. La Tech and MUTS will be coming off of winnable games before us. Tennessee will be playing competitive games the weeks before and after us vs Mizzou and SC, but that is irrelevant. They are Tennessee and they are finally primed to have a good year in arguably the best conference in the country. Oh, and we're their homecoming game. Nevertheless, we still have to beat one of these teams, odds are it will have to be MUTS. The problem with it being them is we play MUTS the last game of this 3-game stretch and confidence very well might be shot at this point (goes back to scheduling). At this point we could be 6-4, but 5-6 is a very real possibility.

We end the year at home vs UTEP. UTEP is a beatable team. They are going to be unproven in a lot of areas, specifically at QB (like us). But we get them at home. This will be a probable must win game to sneak into bowl eligibility.

So, after doing a little schedule analysis of our entire slate, we will need to start hot this year and the schedule is favorable early on to do just that. The late season stretch might be brutal. If we don't start the first quarter of the season off on a good note this will be a very, very long season. To play devils advocate, if we don't start off on a good note going into the Halloween game vs UTSA we very well could be 1-6. And that would before the, IMO, most difficult stretch of the season Nov. 7-21.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Or, unless you happen to be 6-6 and get a bowl the previous year, then follow up with another 6-6 season with an FCS win.

You can't count it towards your bowl eligibility the 2nd straight year.

I seem to recall this very conversation and this very "every other year" thing coming up here a few months ago. Somebody linked somewhere that the every other year thing no long applies.

Source: Hell if I know. I could very well be wrong.