Greg Abbott to be UNT commencement speaker

So, the answer is yes. You're part of the problem. Frankly, I don't really care how much you donate or buy club seats (because it's some sort of pathetic gaslighting attempt) because your attitude towards the university and the loathing nature you to have to the alumni and students is frankly disgraceful and disgusting.

It's a lot like your "son" comments. It's completely pathetic, and you think it claims you some sort of false superiority, that you are some gatekeeper to the "real world" and that UNT is simply what you think it is. It's narcissistic.

I might be getting you mixed up with someone else, but I thought I saw you post one time that you worked for the athletic department.

If that's the case, I would certainly hope you would be concerned with donation levels and ticket commitments from alumni.

• Upvote 1

I might be getting you mixed up with someone else, but I thought I saw you post one time that you worked for the athletic department.

If that's the case, I would certainly hope you would be concerned with donation levels and ticket commitments from alumni.

this would explain the angst directed my way.

I guess.

unsurprisingly, everything seems rather blown out of proportion here...so being that sage of reason, let's see if I can't reel things in (while of course using my indignant tone of superiority, so as to simultaneously ramp the emotions back up)

first, I've zero problem with Abbott being brought in to speak...and I have zero problem with those voicing opposition to his speaker-dom.

that would be disappointing and would reflect rather poorly on Abbott's character and hubris. it is a politically charged time...and he is a politician, and one who has to be aware, or at least has been made aware, of the pervasive political leanings of an institution like UNT. if a bit of internet dissent is enough to discourage him perhaps he wouldn't have made for a great person to impart life-lessons.

I mean, in the end...it is their commencement.

remind me...you're stationed out in Aledo, right? wanna check your local or county police blotter and then come back and tell us how well the "adults" are doing?

No.

And we're talking about proper adult behavior befitting that of higher education, but you know this. Otherwise I agree with everything else you posted above. Carry on.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No.

And we're talking about proper adult behavior befitting that of higher education, but you know this. Otherwise I agree with everything else you posted above. Carry on.

Rick

Because everything was just hunky dory in 1989 when you were in college right? Nobody protested anything, nobody in any frat did anything embarrassing, no one ran their mouth and said something ridiculous? I love when people whine about the generation behind them. Who the hell do you think raised them?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Because everything was just hunky dory in 1989 when you were in college right? Nobody protested anything, nobody in any frat did anything embarrassing, no one ran their mouth and said something ridiculous? I love when people whine about the generation behind them. Who the hell do you think raised them?

Funny, I don't remember a single protest or "petition" from my time at UNT. Maybe I just had better things to do.

Like watch paint dry, for instance.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Let me guess...all those unhappy about Abbott would be praising the choice had it been Clinton, yes?

Just college folks being college folks. This too shall pass. Long term is "tomorrow night's party" for a lot of these folks. They can't see further than the end of their nose and have no clue, nor do they care, of the potential benefits for UNT from having the sitting Gov on campus.

My son's Academy had Obama as a graduation speaker. You think the Midshipmen were happy about that? Not one little bit, but he came and they showed the respect they should for a sitting President.

A side note...O came after my son graduated, so thankfully I did not have to sit through the Obama thing. But, I darn sure would have and been plenty respectful as well of the Ofice of the President.

Graduation is not about the Commencement speaker. The speech and speaker together is nothing more than part of the show...not the focus. The focus is on, or should be, those who are graduating, who have sacrificed to earn their degrees, their parents and friends who have provided support along their journey, and all the faculty and staff who have helped them accomplish their graduation dream.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't recall any protests but there were plenty of embarrassing misbehavior.

I can't remember the name of the frat, but the one that had the house in the middle of campus just east of the Super Pit was caught dealing dope on campus. They were kicked off campus and their house/apartment complex was bulldozed.

Then while working for paramount pictures on campus members of our chapter of Sigma Nu broke in and destroyed several movie honey wells on set just for fun. They were caught and expelled.

Two TAMS students brought the Feds on campus when it was found out that one of them had acquired the latest personal printer and was copying dollar bills and buying everyone free snacks and drinks out of the snack machines over in McConnell Hall. I don't know what the outcome of that one was, but I'm sure someone got in deep trouble and punished accordingly.

But at least your willing to admit how rediculous and embarrassing this small protest has become.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

And now a segment on the Ticket so that every sports loving male 30-55 in DFW can sigh and shake their head...

Don't you realize nobody listens to that crap cuz of June's, backstabbing Jub, and general buffoonery? Just be glad it wasn't discussed in a real Sportz station.

• Upvote 2