SMU’s top five rivalries

Harry

SMU vs. North Texas (Football) — Simply put, SMU and North Texas do not like each other. The schools have played 33 times dating back to 1922 — SMU won the first game, 66-0. In fact, SMU has been pretty dominant, leading the series, 28-5-1. The rivalry is often referred to as the “Safeway Bowl.” Its name is derived from a challenge from former UNT head coach Matt Simon, who said his team would play on a Safeway parking lot during a break in the series. SMU and North Texas took a break after the 2006 season, but renewed their rivalry this past season.

Read more: http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/03/battle-for-the-iron-skillet-headlines-smus-top-five-rivalries.html/

Can't find my old post on it, but our record with SMU is essentially tied once you remove the years where we didn't play at the same level and the years where they were cheating.

The 28-5-1 record makes it sound like no matter what we do, we can't beat the mighty SMU. In actuality, it means that for the majority of the games we've played with them, we haven't been at the same level of competition (D-1A or pro in the 80s).

• Upvote 1

I doubt SMU considers UNT a rival in anyway possible.

We gave them a reason to start last season even if it just scratched the surface. This season we need to show up in massive waves and take over Ford... and of course be a little belegierent. I expect Ford to be 60% green, 10% red n blue and 30% empty. Maybe spread ourselves out evenly so we can get a solid North-Texas chant going throughout the 2nd half while sitting on a comfy lead. Let's just hope this game is televised at least regionally. National television would be a thing of beauty.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Given that we play them every season until 2025, I can see the rivalry. This year's most anticipated game for me is that game at Ford field. I am with Mr. Gooding on wanting to turn Ford field Green and essentially make it look like UNT invaded their turf. Luckily last year's game was nationally televised, so I was able to show friend's and family on the west coast the epic smackdown at Apogee. That was a thing of beauty!

Can we please stop obsessing what, if anything, SMU thinks of us and just keep beating the living crap out of them both in Denton and poppedcollarville for the next nine years?

Should we win all of them, we'll make headway on making that all time series record look better too.

"I doubt SMU considers UNT a rival in anyway possible." One of SMU's forums discussing rivalries that I laughed at. As expected UNT came up and we are just the "bottom feeder school" and "no one would consider UNT their rival". http://ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77672&sid=3d82523f7a7f3f334113cadd9b9f3415

I hate how there are so many rules when it comes to rivalries. Does the fact that the Lakers never beat the Celtics back in the 60s make it less of a rivalry? Also, is there anyone currently on those teams that were ALIVE back then?

I don't care what the overall record is (well, it sort of hurts), or what happened way back when. I wanna whoop their butts, they wanna whoop our butts, and brag about it.

Neither school has any room to talk at moment since we were a combined 5-A LOT for the year. Other than the fact that, well you know,

we won.

And I am sure it just buuuuuuuuuurns them

• Upvote 1

We gave them a reason to start last season even if it just scratched the surface. This season we need to show up in massive waves and take over Ford... and of course be a little belegierent. I expect Ford to be 60% green, 10% red n blue and 30% empty. Maybe spread ourselves out evenly so we can get a solid North-Texas chant going throughout the 2nd half while sitting on a comfy lead. Let's just hope this game is televised at least regionally. National television would be a thing of beauty.

Last time I attended a game at Ford they had us broken up into small blocks that didn't lend itself to coordinated cheering/chanting. We at least gave them all of two sections (124/125). And any block of tickets they want to buy in the end zone.

Notice the score of the first game in our series is listed, but not last year's score. Now why would the DMN not want to mention that score?

This is another fine example of just how much our location hurts us--at least until we beat somebody that the DFW local media and fans care about. SMU is still SWC royalty to the local media, while TCU is officially in the new P5 country club. All we are to the DFW media, for the most part, is a giant commuter school that gets bought for wins by the people they care about, while playing in conferences that are looked down at as being below the highest levels of Texas HS Football.

Absolutely sucks for us, even if a lot of it is our own fault...

This is another fine example of just how much our location hurts us--at least until we beat somebody that the DFW local media and fans care about. SMU is still SWC royalty to the local media, while TCU is officially in the new P5 country club. All we are to the DFW media, for the most part, is a giant commuter school that gets bought for wins by the people they care about, while playing in conferences that are looked down at as being below the highest levels of Texas HS Football.

Absolutely sucks for us, even if a lot of it is our own fault...

Local media finally quit constantly poo-pooing on us since basketball got successful. Now it's just 50% passive aggressive articles.

• Upvote 1