Recruiting Budget

Cooley

So, we are ok with returning to mediocrity after JJ pulled us out of the muck? We really did have something special going here then watched it slip away.

Below mediocrity is the accepted norm here. Some will have happy pants if we reach mediocrity.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

C. This has always baffled me when friends from other schools start receiving information upon graduation. A co-worker who recently became pregnant has joined the legacy program from her university. My Mom, who is in her 80's, still receives a letter for annual giving from the university she and my Dad graduated from and were heavily involved in post graduation. Why UNT either doesn't or refuses to do things of this nature drives me crazy.

Edited by UNTLifer

C. This has always baffled me when friends from other schools start receiving information upon graduation. A co-worker who recently became pregnant has joined the legacy program from her university. My Mom, who is in her 80's, still receives a letter for annual giving from the university she and my Dad graduated from and were heavily involved in post graduation. Why UNT either doesn't or refuses to do things of this nature drives me crazy.

Interesting, as I get this stuff from UNT all the time. Including now stuff regarding "Grandparents University". Ha! I think they actually have me pretty well figured out!

Interesting, as I get this stuff from UNT all the time. Including now stuff regarding "Grandparents University". Ha! I think they actually have me pretty well figured out!

That's because you already give. You know when I started getting stuff? After I joined the MGC. Only after.

Not really recruiting new donors that way.

• Upvote 3

I've also noticed that the central database seems to be contingent on giving that first dollar. Then it's like sharks in the water who smell blood. You put one dollar on the books, and every department even remotely affiliated with UNT will suddenly become your bestest buddy ever. Prior to that day? Nobody ever contacts you for any reason ever.

• Upvote 1

I've also noticed that the central database seems to be contingent on giving that first dollar. Then it's like sharks in the water who smell blood. You put one dollar on the books, and every department even remotely affiliated with UNT will suddenly become your bestest buddy ever. Prior to that day? Nobody ever contacts you for any reason ever.

Yep. Crazy.

The University historically discouraged giving and alumni involvement because they didn't want to invite pressure on the curriculum or methods. Obviously that has proven to be a terrible mistake.

Not only does the University not have a campus (forget system) wide program to keep track alumni an encourage building, there are a ton of fiefdoms on campus that now actively discourage the formation of one. The programs that have spent man power and money for decades to build their own databases jealously guard that data from one another. In their mind the benefits of sharing information are outweighed by introducing more mouths to feed, especially with the programs that have done little or nothing to build their own data.

Since a campus wide system was never organically grown over the decades, creating one now from scratch is a tough task. Some one like Smatresk or Jackson are the only people who can find the 1) cash money to pay for this huge IT project, 2) political leverage to twist arms to make people use this system and share their data. No one below that level has the clout or budget.

There is talk now on campus of a "360 view" system for students. This would include ALL the data involved with alumni, from the time we send them a recruitment letter, till they apply, to when they are taking classes, then graduation, then targeted for giving all the way till they give the school something in their wills. However there has been this talk before. This is going to take a lot of money and arm twisting to make work, let's see if it happens.

• Upvote 3

The University historically discouraged giving and alumni involvement because they didn't want to invite pressure on the curriculum or methods. Obviously that has proven to be a terrible mistake.

Not only does the University not have a campus (forget system) wide program to keep track alumni an encourage building, there are a ton of fiefdoms on campus that now actively discourage the formation of one. The programs that have spent man power and money for decades to build their own databases jealously guard that data from one another. In their mind the benefits of sharing information are outweighed by introducing more mouths to feed, especially with the programs that have done little or nothing to build their own data.

Since a campus wide system was never organically grown over the decades, creating one now from scratch is a tough task. Some one like Smatresk or Jackson are the only people who can find the 1) cash money to pay for this huge IT project, 2) political leverage to twist arms to make people use this system and share their data. No one below that level has the clout or budget.

There is talk now on campus of a "360 view" system for students. This would include ALL the data involved with alumni, from the time we send them a recruitment letter, till they apply, to when they are taking classes, then graduation, then targeted for giving all the way till they give the school something in their wills. However there has been this talk before. This is going to take a lot of money and arm twisting to make work, let's see if it happens.

It would be great if we could get some interested alumni from one of our programs that has the required knowledge, for example computer science, to spearhead such an effort, maybe we could get the ball rolling.

It would be great if we could get some interested alumni from one of our programs that has the required knowledge, for example computer science, to spearhead such an effort, maybe we could get the ball rolling.

We need more then just someone experienced in IT. We need someone to initiate changes in the culture in the different colleges and the university as a whole in order to get everyone playing for the same team.

cuz we are a liberal arts college?

This is just pathetic...