Excellent writeup Harry. Thanks for taking the time.

Isn't Ochs a center? Were they working him in at guard?

It looks to me that they are looking at Barr as the backup center. I saw Ochs participating at guard during the drills.

One correction, Shanbour was suited out and participating in QB drills. In fact he was assigned to Chumley as his personal trainer for a couple of the basic QB drills. On more than one occasion he had to stand next to Chumley to show him how to stand and how to do the basic motions of the drill. The coaching staff was very unimpressed that Chumley seemed to have make no effort to learn this basic stuff on his own during the fall. Nor did it appear that he had spent any time at all throwing the ball to someone. His throwing motion looks like a strange combination of throwing and pushing the ball out there.

The short assessment? No way in hell Chumley plays QB for us. And the more time we waste letting him go through the motions (and that's a generous assessment) the longer it will take for him to settle into his ultimate position.

Conner Means is making a serious run at being the starter. That nice run you mentioned was a "wow" run from where I was standing. We're not talking about straight up an alley through a big hole, or around the end and out of bounds. We're talking RB-moves-and-making-defensive-players-miss-type run. When I commented to KRAM about how impressive that run was, a student standing behind me said "yeah, that isn't surprising since he runs a 4.6 forty".

From all indications, it looks like after they get past the top four QB's getting reps, the #5 might be Wells. I can see that. He has a good arm, pretty quick release, and he has above average speed.

At WR, #16 continues to be a mystery. When I talked to one player, he said that it must be Grimm. I said Grimm is wearing a red QB jersey, so it couldn't be him. At one point he was standing next to Rutherford waiting to get into the rotation. He looked just as tall as Rutherford. He's white btw. I only mention him because #1 he's tall, and #2 they keep putting him in there and throwing the ball to him.

Wylie Reinhardt needs to be moved somewhere else. I've yet to see him catch a ball and #47 Terrance Johnson has been.

Also, my favorite FB Jerrod Lynn briefly got into the passing game. One of the QB's threw a long (30+ yds) "hail Mary"- type throw to him in the end zone. He was double covered and didn't make the catch, but I thought the play was interesting.

Also, Wallace was suited up, but he got dinged up somehow in a previous practice so he and others (Gehringer for one) were over by the video tower doing stretching exercises......I suppose that's what they were doing.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

Questions for anyone that attended.

1. Did any of our D linemen draw a double team, and beat it?

2. Did any QB get up from being sacked, grab the O linemen responsible for allowing said sack by the face mask and dog cuss him back to the huddle? Oh wait...they're getting love tapped... Ok, so after getting love tapped, did they jump on the O linemen for giving up the love tap sack?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The DE's are the ones getting most of the sacks.

2. Did any QB get up from being sacked, grab the O linemen responsible for allowing said sack by the face mask and dog cuss him back to the huddle? Oh wait...they're getting love tapped... Ok, so after getting love tapped, did they jump on the O linemen for giving up the love tap sack?

Nope.....not that I noticed.

Rick

Silver -- you were right he was dressed out but I did not see him or Chumley or anyone other than McNulty, Greer, Williams, and Means in the scrimmage... he appeared to be on the sideline and was doing all of the hand signals.

Rick, I think our best defensive lineman may be Tillman Johnson but Austin Orr looked pretty good as well. It is still too early to say for sure.

I was on the off side of the field (closer to the dorms) so I wasn't able to catch much of the action over on that side. If anyone has anything to add along with Silver please feel free to jump in here.

#47 Terrance Johnson is an intriguing prospect and I am glad Silver mentioned him. He has a great frame that has a lot of room for growth and he moves very well with his feet.

Rheinhart is more of a blocker than anything else. They REALLY need him to step up his game as they lose their top two after this season. Personally I could see Chumley there although he may even be more valuable at defensive end.

On Rick's question about a defensive lineman beating a double team, I did not although it's tough in the 1st scrimmage as you are trying to match up name and numbers at every position and just acclimate yourself to the lay of the land. I expect we will get more detailed positional reports as this goes on.

Rick

You know, it's been a long time since I saw any NT QB do that. If I had to guess, the last one that might have done that would be Danny Meager. I saw him grab a WR one time who was going into motion the wrong direction and practically flung him in the correct direction.

Rick, who was the last NT QB that you ever saw do that?

Edited by SilverEagle

Isn't Terrence related to Tillman?

Twins. Apparently Terrance stopped playing football as a freshman in high school and played basketball the rest of the way, but he's bigger than Tillman. With a redshirt under his belt he could be ready to really start developing. Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

One correction, Shanbour was suited out and participating in QB drills. In fact he was assigned to Chumley as his personal trainer for a couple of the basic QB drills. On more than one occasion he had to stand next to Chumley to show him how to stand and how to do the basic motions of the drill. The coaching staff was very unimpressed that Chumley seemed to have make no effort to learn this basic stuff on his own during the fall. Nor did it appear that he had spent any time at all throwing the ball to someone. His throwing motion looks like a strange combination of throwing and pushing the ball out there.

The short assessment? No way in hell Chumley plays QB for us. And the more time we waste letting him go through the motions (and that's a generous assessment) the longer it will take for him to settle into his ultimate position.

Conner Means is making a serious run at being the starter. That nice run you mentioned was a "wow" run from where I was standing. We're not talking about straight up an alley through a big hole, or around the end and out of bounds. We're talking RB-moves-and-making-defensive-players-miss-type run. When I commented to KRAM about how impressive that run was, a student standing behind me said "yeah, that isn't surprising since he runs a 4.6 forty".

From all indications, it looks like after they get past the top four QB's getting reps, the #5 might be Wells. I can see that. He has a good arm, pretty quick release, and he has above average speed.

At WR, #16 continues to be a mystery. When I talked to one player, he said that it must be Grimm. I said Grimm is wearing a red QB jersey, so it couldn't be him. At one point he was standing next to Rutherford waiting to get into the rotation. He looked just as tall as Rutherford. He's white btw. I only mention him because #1 he's tall, and #2 they keep putting him in there and throwing the ball to him.

Wylie Reinhardt needs to be moved somewhere else. I've yet to see him catch a ball and #47 Terrance Johnson has been.

Also, my favorite FB Jerrod Lynn briefly got into the passing game. One of the QB's threw a long (30+ yds) "hail Mary"- type throw to him in the end zone. He was double covered and didn't make the catch, but I thought the play was interesting.

Also, Wallace was suited up, but he got dinged up somehow in a previous practice so he and others (Gehringer for one) were over by the video tower doing stretching exercises......I suppose that's what they were doing.

• Upvote 1

So, we sign a QB with such terrible mechanics that he has to be tutored, yet he will probably end up at either TE or DE. Also, we were the only school to provide him a shot at QB, thus securing his committment. On the other hand, we sign a young man and immediately place him at TE and won't even consider him at QB although he was a 4-5 star QB recruit with offers from all over the country. Makes sense.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4

So, we sign a QB with such terrible mechanics that he has to be tutored, yet he will probably end up at either TE or DE. Also, we were the only school to provide him a shot at QB, thus securing his committment. On the other hand, we sign a young man and immediately place him at TE and won't even consider him at QB although he was a 4-5 star QB recruit with offers from all over the country. Makes sense.

ULM offered Chumley at QB too, but I believe both they and we offered him there with the intention of moving him at some point. Just my opinion on that recruitment. If reports like the ones we are hearing continue then that switch will happen sooner, rather than later.

As for Dillman, we'll see. Hopefully Means and/or Dajon have, or keep having, a good spring to solidify our future at that position. If not, it'll really be a shame if we never give Dillman a chance.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

I have a couple QB questions for Silver or anyone else who was there:

1. How well did Means throw the ball? That's the question mark with him. He was a good runner in high school and had about 9 or 10 rushing TDs as a senior iirc, so that gave me comfort in him, knowing he had athletic ability if QB didn't work out. Especially since his stats as a senior suggested he had a very long way to go.

Curious on how he's progressing as a passer.

2. Where was Dajon on the depth chart/how many reps was he getting compared to the other QBs and primarily with what huddle(s)? Loaded question, I know, but Vito had mentioned he thought Dajon may move up after last Tuesday's practice. I'm curious as to how deep Dajon is in the doghouse, and if he needs to do more than just do well in practices to move up or if he has moved up.

i thought Means threw the ball well. Honestly, they can all throw pretty nice balls with the exception of Chumley who has the arm but needs more refinement and is not as used to the footwork Chico requires etc. i think Means has a good arm, probably as good as McNulty or Greer, not quite as good as Dajon.

They all seem to get time in the QB drills. When it moved to 7 on 7 you saw more of the top 4 but the others also were able to throw to receivers. Once the scrimmage started it was just the top 4 (Mini, Greer, Williams and Means).

I thought the all had their moments on Saturday, I just felt Dajon was slightly better overall. I did not see him make a major mistake which is so critical with this staff (maybe too much so frankly). Dajon and Means seemed to get equal shares with McNulty getting the most and Greer second.

I'm sure Silver and others will be willing to chime in their perspective.

I thought the all had their moments on Saturday, I just felt Dajon was slightly better overall. I did not see him make a major mistake which is so critical with this staff (maybe too much so frankly). Dajon and Means seemed to get equal shares with McNulty getting the most and Greer second.

This.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

i thought Means threw the ball well. Honestly, they can all throw pretty nice balls with the exception of Chumley who has the arm but needs more refinement and is not as used to the footwork Chico requires etc. i think Means has a good arm, probably as good as McNulty or Greer, not quite as good as Dajon.

They all seem to get time in the QB drills. When it moved to 7 on 7 you saw more of the top 4 but the others also were able to throw to receivers. Once the scrimmage started it was just the top 4 (Mini, Greer, Williams and Means).

I'm sure Silver and others will be willing to chime in their perspective.

Means throws it better than Greer and probably McNulty. His throwing motion is getting more "natural" (as opposed to Greer who you can tell is thinking about his throwing motion while he's throwing). Of the top four DW has the strongest arm and the most natural throwing motion....but Means is catching up. As I said in my summary, I think Wells has some potential.

DW usually gets in there after Greer. I just don't get it about Greer. At this point, I would put Wells ahead of him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

# 16 at WR is Grimm

I don't think so. Grimm was wearing a red QB jersey with 16 on the front. There would be no reason to switch to a white jersey with #16 on the front. When they ran him on special teams the other day, they didn't change his jersey. He wore his red QB jersey.....just like Wells did and just like Shanbour did when they did special teams duty.

I don't think so. Grimm was wearing a red QB jersey with 16 on the front. There would be no reason to switch to a white jersey with #16 on the front. When they ran him on special teams the other day, they didn't change his jersey. He wore his red QB jersey.....just like Wells did and just like Shanbour did when they did special teams duty.

There was no 16 with a red jersey, but definitely a white jersey. Very tall and lean. Maybe you mean #13? Cousins was out there in drills. and #19 shanbour was out there in drills and went out there once during scrimmage for a red zone play.

• Upvote 1

I was out there specifically watching the offense. WRs vs DBs (which included QBs), and the QB drills.

WR vs DB drills

• Rutherford is physical. At one point during 1 on 1, he was getting pressed by #25 I think. He faked inside, punched outside, hitting #25's left arm in the process. That pretty much stopped #25 in his tracks, ran off the field holding his shoulder, and got carted away by the medical staff. Felt bad for #25, but Rutherford has the mental tools to play physically on the outside. Dude can ball, but he did miss on a route once, and coach C got on him.
  • Rutherford flat out beat a guy with his speed, after some solid moves and creating space coming off the line of scrimmage.
  • Goree was in the slot during drills, didn't get to see much of him.
  • Grimm is tall and long, and he made some nice catches on the right side of the field, but had alligator arms on the left sideline. Might have been the sun. He has a very high catch point.
  • Can't remember if this was scrimmage or drill, but I think one of the twins knocked Carlos down on a short dig when the ball was clearly out of play. He was chirping and getting into Carlos' head. Loved it.
  • I didn't get to see much of Marshall from where I was, but when I did look, he was always blanketing his receiver. Reacts well to the receiver and dude is fast. Lean.
  • #85 was getting open a lot, the ball just wasn't getting to him. Kinda small, but stout guy.
  • Means and Dajon were generally doing a good job with ball placement and throws. Greer had some great throws down the sideline, then some real bad misses down the middle, or on short throws.

QB drills

• Chumley: nope. As many of us had mentioned before, he is a very raw QB. HE IS HUGE though. Very wobbly, very powerful errant throws to Coach C, who is just standing there. Sometimes he didn't want to catch the ball (you can break a finger on those kind of passes). As Silver mentioned, Shanbour was there helping him with his motions, which was simply to fake hand-off to an invisible RB, cock it back and throw.
  • Shanbour was very vocal in drills, very involved.
  • Everyone but Chumley looked just fine, nothing concerning. Everyone's passes were typically clean, although on short throws, Greer's ball kept going at an angle. The back of his ball pointed up. Shanbour's ball kept going low.

Scrimmage

• Disclaimer: hard to see the entire field standing behind the defense.
  • McNulty didn't have a good enough day, imo, to hold off Means or Dajon (for that day in particular). Took a long time to decide where to go with the ball, scrambling several times. He is waiting for something to develop, instead of anticipating. Ball deflected a time or two at the LOS. Made some good passes, and made some poor choices. In other words, same that I saw at the end of last season.
  • Dajon I think ran with the twos? Hard to tell at times. Did well throwing on the run, made some decent throws. All in all, an okay day with no major mistakes. Relaxed, at times made quick decisions, at times hesitated. His performance didn't scream, I'm the one, however.
  • I couldn't get a good read on Means. He was placing the ball in some impressively tight windows, but either his receiver would drop it, or the DB was getting a fingertip on it. Not sure if it was indicative of Means' decision-making or the DB's abilities. His throwing motion looks much improved from last year. Dajon and Means both have gunslinger mentality, if you will. It's just a matter of ball accuracy at this point. Means' long run sure was impressive.
  • Greer looked just okay. Decision-making was the word of the day for many of these QBs.
  • Someone got a pretty clean hit on Sam Wells. Definitely wasn't playing tag. Greer and Wells are definitely behind the other three.
  • Shanbour came in for one red zone series. I think an option play (where he should've kept it, from my angle), a short pass play, and a handoff.
  • The long runs from Ivery, Wilson, and some other guy mentioned previously really showcased acceleration and speed. I couldn't see what happened at the line, but when they hit the hole, they were gone. I mean, dayum. And speaking of the hole, there were no LBs or safeties in sight (at the second level) when that happened.

That's all I can remember at the moment.

• Upvote 6