So, we sign a QB with such terrible mechanics that he has to be tutored, yet he will probably end up at either TE or DE. Also, we were the only school to provide him a shot at QB, thus securing his committment. On the other hand, we sign a young man and immediately place him at TE and won't even consider him at QB although he was a 4-5 star QB recruit with offers from all over the country. Makes sense.

....and if you had actually seen his "mechanics", or the lack thereof, your post would be dripping with even more sarcasm.......or stronger stuff. I just got through looking at Dillmans junior highlights again, and after actually seeing Chumley out there I have to say SURELY this is just a charade and the QB/TE swap between Chumley and Dillman will take place this fall.

Otherwise, if this "player-in-the-absolute-wrong-position" continues, I refer you to the unofficial motto for the unofficial athletic department crest......Jesus help us!

• Upvote 3

Another tidbit...Coach Caralla is freaking awesome. He was out there wearing boxing gloves on the offense's sideline pumping guys up. I think right now he's wearing a helmet greeting guys as they're coming onto the field.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here is my report.

QBs

1. Mcnulty, only because he doesn't turn the ball over (against our D) his arm strength is honestly pathetic. He under threw two wide open post patterns, the only other throws he made were now routes (1-2 yards) and quick outs

2. Dajon has the better arm strength, footwork and speed, his pocket presence must become better, he holds the ball to long, but when he rips it his arm is unmatched. He threw several deep outs with zip on the money, and one was from left has to a 5 yard out on the far sideline great ball, perfect spot, and 1 1/2 steps in front of DB

3. Means has the size, arm strength, and pocket presence to be our QB of the future IMO. The dude can run. He still has things to work on, quicker reads, leaving his first receiver quicker and making it through his progression.

4. Whoever else.

RBs

1. Jimmy show, ready for him to take the load

1a. Jeffrey Wilson looked awesome today

2. Erick Evans, holy balls batman that cat has some wheels or as we in the coaching world say, the "Juice"

3 Rex Rollins once healthy he was working out on the side today, really getting after it.

WRs

1. Carlos is going to give you what he did last year

2. Goree is a more athletic carlos who can do it all. I am beyond excited to watch him work for the next 4 years, if we can just get someone to get him the ball!!!

3. Turner Smiley he and Darvin are one in the same, an athletic option, waiting to be overthrown by the Carthage boys

4. Darvin Kidsy #4 on the list # 4 on the roster, probably going to be the punt returner

4a. O'Keeron Rutherford once he learns how to use his body, and continues to get stronger he is going to be a huge get for us.

OL

LT Michael Banogu

LG Sam Rice

C Kayden Kirby went down with a sprained ankle got rolled up pretty bad

C Creighton Barr did a pretty good job filling in

RG Micah Thompson

RT Chris Miles get excited people this kid can play!

Defense

I'll be honest when watching the defense ( I focused on secondary however this is what I got) we ran a 4-2-5 all day no odd fronts today

DEs

1. Andy Fluesche

2. Jarrian Roberts

2a. Malik Dilonga

3. Tillman Johnson ( was hurt ) on crutches and in a brace he was walking and putting some weight on it but not much went through a pretty intense upper body workout with Rex

DT 3 technique

1. Austin Orr

1a. Sid Moore (only because he doesn't have Orrs natural size everything else about him is 1

DT 1 technique

1. Haboul by a long shot

2. Sir Calvin

ILB

1. Judge Fred again this one ain't even close dude was making plays sideline to sideline, flashed some (hold your breath) Zach Orr running down receivers in crossing routes. I actually started giggling when he did that, can't remember if it was Smiley or Kidsy

2. Anthony Wallace got the nod today but Bean was out there plenty. Good to see Wallace competing in there.

2a. Blake Bean

Rover/OLB

1. SED Ellis in running situations

2. Cedric Fernandes HOLY CRAP this dude stole the day for me... He was everywhere played multiple positions in coverage came up with a pick, several good tackles, funnels

Safeties

1. McClain

2. Gray both started w 1s

I can't remember which one rolled down I'm pretty sure it was McClain

Corners

1. Kenny Buyers even though he got beat several times by each Carthage boy (qbs couldn't get it to him)

2. Chad Davis

3. Jamaal Marshal still getting comfortable out there, he should be number 1 by the fall he has all the tools and he looks very comfortable out there.

Offensive Takeaways

We will look VERY bland next year but tempo was much faster today, gave the OL some problems bc they couldn't get to the line fast enough. We ran about 8 plays that I tracked

1. Stretch

2. Toss/option/ wtf was that play out of shotgun

3. I call it Fast where receiver takes 1 step and balls on em.

4. Switch route (slant by outside, speed out inside)

5. Play action

6. Play action

7. Play action

8. Old school Power

Defense

Kids seem to be flying around, several mix ups in secondary that allowed big play TDs, but I was pleased with the speed we have on the field. I am still frustrated our corners played 7-8 yards off all but maybe 10 plays. I will say we triggered MUCH faster than last year and came up and tackled. Several stunts and twists that got Dlineman on the QB NOW.

#14 Cedric Fernandes holy cow this kid can play, he was bouncing around, flying to the ball, playing the ball in the air, he was the most impressive player on the field to me today.

Overall, we got a lot of work to do if we are going to "Hit 6" and become bowl eligible. I got to stand by Vito and Don Lovelace today it was interesting and fun to hear there perspectives.

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 6

I can promise I missed several stand out performances as I tried watching t much instead of keying in. I listed him under Rover/OLB in the 4-2-5 he wouldbe the 5th DB who replaces SED Ellis who is in on obvious running situations, and fernandes goes in in obvious passing downs, he also played some safety today as well.

• Upvote 1

I can promise I missed several stand out performances as I tried watching t much instead of keying in. I listed him under Rover/OLB in the 4-2-5 he wouldbe the 5th DB who replaces SED Ellis who is in on obvious running situations, and fernandes goes in in obvious passing downs, he also played some safety today as well.

Basically taking Zac Whitfield's position in the nickle package.
  • Upvote 1

Interesting that we haven't heard much from Cortney Finney. He was supposed to compete right away, but he's pretty small so I didn't think it was a for sure thing.

As for Fernandes, he went to my high school and started on varsity the season after I graduated (he was a freshman when I was a senior). He's very athletic, but his problem was that he was just not very big. Definitely not your average walkon, and I could see him being a good player for us. Always was happy to hear we got him as a walkon.

Edited by BillySee58

Interesting that we haven't heard much from Cortney Finney. He was supposed to compete right away, but he's pretty small so I didn't think it was a for sure thing.

As for Fernandes, he went to my high school and started on varsity the season after I graduated (he was a freshman when I was a senior). He's very athletic, but his problem was that he was just not very big. Definitely not your average walkon, and I could see him being a good player for us. Always was happy to hear we got him as a walkon.

The SEC didn't seem to be bothered by his size. Per Vito, Fernandez was courting SEC offers before he blew his knee.

The SEC didn't seem to be bothered by his size. Per Vito, Fernandez was courting SEC offers before he blew his knee.

Interest maybe, but not offers. I follow the Martin kids closely and the only player from that class (2014) who ever listed offers was Myles Garrett, until Justin Hollins transferred in. If an SEC school ever offered then it would've been listed because of how closely those schools' recruiting processes are covered.

Fernandes played his sophomore year, missed his junior year with a torn ACL, and played all of his senior year. It was a torn ACL. As long as they have played and have film it doesn't really mess up kids' recruitments as much as people may think. Either way, he was always a great pickup as a walkon.

Edited by BillySee58

Interest maybe, but not offers. I follow the Martin kids closely and the only player from that class (2014) who ever listed offers was Myles Garrett, until Justin Hollins transferred in. If an SEC school ever offered then it would've been listed because of how closely those schools' recruiting processes are covered.

Fernandes played his sophomore year, missed his junior year with a torn ACL, and played all of his senior year. It was a torn ACL. As long as they have played and have film it doesn't really mess up kids' recruitments as much as people may think. Either way, he was always a great pickup as a walkon.

You're more in tune with this than I. FWIW, Vito referenced offers.

– One guy who is climbing the depth chart is walk-on Cedric Fernandez. I don’t get excited about walk-ons until they actually produce in the fall or earn a scholarship, but Fernandez had two interceptions today, is seeing time with the second team and he’s not just your regular walk-on. I asked about him. Turns out Fernandez was a pretty big time recruit with SEC offers before he blew his knee out in high school. He’s only a redshirt freshman, so he has time to develop.

You're more in tune with this than I. FWIW, Vito referenced offers.

Yeah, I read the article. But like I said, I don't believe that information is accurate as someone who follows that high school team and, as a result, Fernandes. Our coach is great at publicizing and promoting our players, and SEC offers, not just interest, would've been reported and they never were for Fernandes. His injury was not that devastating to where it knocked him from being an SEC recruit to a walkon. A torn ACL would alone wouldn't drop a kid that far. But he is what he: a really quality walkon who could earn a scholarship and it wouldn't be a fluke.

Well he was removed from the box, splitting the difference between the inside receiver and the OT after checking his run read, the slot crossed his face and he turned and ran them down and tackled him for a 2 yard gain after running over 1/2 the field, he still needs to work on getting off run blocks, but he will be a high level player this year. He was playing against D1 talent for the first time early last season, and even admitted he got better and more comfortable as the year went on.