MGB: Tuesday practice wrap with QB update

Brett Vito

That must be a family member.

*Regardless of Josh being injured or not his on the field statistics at Navarro were average, and average is a generous comment. He might be a great guy and a hard worker, but his stats at JUCO and what I have personally seen from him lead me to believe that this staff is incompetent at talent evaluation. It's no hard feelings and if Josh somehow finds the field again I hope he lights it up. Another backfire that no one will be held accountable for...

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

7.6 YPA and 64% completion is generously average? (9.1 YPA in conference play).

Granted it's JUCO competition, but that's nothing to scoff at when put into North Texas context.

Also, his film couldn't predict what happened in 2014 (see: Gabbert, Blaine). Just saw a guy who couldn't make the mental hurdles. Maybe he improves? Let's hope so.

His stats say 11 games played, while it should be six as UNT90 points out.

I'm not telling you I, personally, think Shanbour should not be given a chance. Or that I, personally, don't think a QB under 6' deserves a chance. I'm just saying that Mccarney clearly wants tall quarterbacks and does not want to run an offense that would help neutralize a short QBs' inherent disadvantages (i.e. a shotgun heavy offense).

For him to play he would have to be so good that Coach Mccarney is willing to change his offensive philosophy to better suit Shanbour. Right now they've already stated there are only 4 QBs who will be given the reps to legitimately compete for the starting job (Mcnulty, Greer, Means, and Dajon). I'm just trying to realistically explain Shanbour's chances, not whether or not it is fair. I definitely agree that Coach Mccarney's QB decisions and evaluations have every right to be questioned by us fans, given the lack of results.

....and yet Seneca Wallace was/is 5'11".

• Upvote 3

Granted it's JUCO competition, but that's nothing to scoff at when put into North Texas context.

Also, his film couldn't predict what happened in 2014 (see: Gabbert, Blaine). Just saw a guy who couldn't make the mental hurdles. Maybe he improves? Let's hope so.

i cant say if greer is good or not, but i can say with certainty that there is an issue with coaching this position. not sure who to put most of the blame on, but mac, chico, and even RV (considering chico was here before mac) should be responsible. save all the mac is restricting chico talk because plenty of offensive co ordinators have to work around conservative coaches and defense first teams.

the evaluation, play calling, development, preparation, etc has been below average.

the spring game was a joke, and i am sure it will be the same this year. completing passes against #29, the forth string safety is nothing. if our practices and scrimmages are anything like the spring game, then how can you get a fair assessment of who can play when the real heat is on.

the gameplan looks as if the talent of the players is not even considered. every qb on this team has some kind of talent and strength. its up to the coach to find it and make it work.

• Upvote 2

the gameplan looks as if the talent of the players is not even considered. every qb on this team has some kind of talent and strength. its up to the coach to find it and make it work.

I agree with this. The team should revolve around the talents of the respective QB, and not force them into the system. Why sign them in the first place? Ie, option with Dajon (even Means), downfield passing with Greer and Means, dink and dunk with McNulty, etc etc.

Put the shorter QBs like McNulty in boot plays, keeping the bigger guys climbing up the pocket. I'm just ranting now so I'll end it there.

....and yet Seneca Wallace was/is 5'11".

Look at Seneca's stats at Iowa State. He threw more interceptions that touchdowns for Mccarney. He was not a good fit in the offense Mccarney likes to run.

Also, Wallace was recruited about 15 years ago, to a different college. Looks at the QBs Mccarney has offered while coaching here. The only QBs he has offered under 6'2" have been Andrew Mcnulty (a family friend) and JT Barrett (Ohio State signee who was in Heisman contention as a RS Freshman).

I have a hard time calling McNulty a "tall QB," since I did the "stand next to test" (which someone on this board made famous) around 2 and a half years ago, and he didn't even look to be quite a legit 6 footer to me. I guess maybe he could have grown a couple of inches since then. Regardless, I just hope this staff (and a certain QB) wakes up to the QB situation and lets the best man win regardless of size or stature. I'm afraid that we're going to have a tough time winning without getting a major spark from the position.

I disagree. When I've seen him in person I've been surprised at how tall he actually is. I think he's 6'1", at least legitimately over 6'. Definitely not a tall QB, but he's a scholarship QB, not a walkon like Shanbour, so that makes a difference as well. Edited by BillySee58

With this staffs track record with QB evaluation how does a QB being on or not being on a scholarship make one bit of difference? It all seems like a hogwash to me. If D. Smith doesn't come in and make us competitive McCarney's job should be on the line. 4/5 losing seasons and seemingly nothing to hang your hat on going forward...why keep him around?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

With this staffs track record with QB evaluation how does a QB being on or not being on a scholarship make one bit of difference? It all seems like a hogwash to me. If D. Smith doesn't come in and make us competitive McCarney's job should be on the line. 4/5 losing seasons and seemingly nothing to hang your hat on going forward...why keep him around?

With somewhere in the vicinity of a $2 million buyout, you can be assured that Coach Mac will be back in 2016.

I was kind of hoping Shanbour could somehow work his way into the top 4 this spring so we could see him in 11 on 11 in order to be able to actually evaluate his ability in live action. After watching them a bit last year and a couple of the early practices this year, I felt like having Greer AND Means both in the top four was kind of redundant since they both seemed to bring similar skillsets to the table while Shanbour was a completely different (albeit unproven) element that would spice up the competition and give the coaches pretty much 4 different styles to evaluate.

So far, it does not seem like the coaches have any intention of moving anyone up so it is a moot point. Unless one of the 4 contenders gets demoted, it seems like the competition is set for the spring. Once we move to the fall, I am assuming that the bottom 1 or 2 will be replaced by Smith (assuming he is eligible) and those remaining players will compete for a spot on the opening day depth chart.

Oh of course he will be and it's just another failure by RV waiting in the wings. Our 2 main revenue sports might see firings in back to back years because of boneheaded decision making at the top of the athletic department. I hope I am dead wrong. Our current stable of QB's participating in spring practice screams 3-9. We have a slight shot at 6-6 (maybe 7-5) if D. Smith comes in and plays as advertised. If not, 2016 to Dan McCarney is going to be what 2015-16 is to Benford. And it will be another unacceptable job(s) by our beloved AD.

Yes that may help in the development of Dajon. Hopefully it will be more of a one read type of offense.

Dajon's issues are in his head though. I don't know how you can see improvement there except in game-time action.

It doesn't matter how "simple" the offense is for him, if an opposing DL or blitzing LB gets through the line, his decision making skills have shown to be terrible... except VS Nicholls when he could just tuck-&-run for 40yds because he could out-athlete everyone on their team.

I've been critical of Greer, but I'll admit I liked what I saw from his JUCO stats. I was surprised at how last season went for him. I also don't think anyone wants to see him fail, they just want to see a solid QB step out on Saturday so they can light up the scoreboard. If it's Greer, then it's Greer. If it's Shanbour, it's Shanbour.

I'm starting to wonder if it's not the QB talent coming to the UNT that's the problem.

• Upvote 1

I think Shanbour will be considered if 2015 kicks off similar to 2014.

If 2015 starts off with some wins, forget about Shanbour.

Aside from what I've mentioned earlier with him being a 5'10" guy in a primarily-under-center offense, I wonder how bad the other guys would have to be in order for him to get a chance. Mccarney has signed 9 quarterbacks in his 5 recruiting classes, only 1 of which has had their eligibility expire (Osborn).

So, theoretically, that's 8 misevaluations at quarterback if Mccarney were to have to resort to playing a walkon in 2015. That would take a major sucking up of his pride if Mccarney were to give Shanbour a shot, and say that his scholarship guys couldn't get it done. Would he be able to suck up his pride like that? I'm not saying he wouldn't be able to, but I'm saying that's what it would take.

Edited by BillySee58

Dajon's issues are in his head though. I don't know how you can see improvement there except in game-time action.

It doesn't matter how "simple" the offense is for him, if an opposing DL or blitzing LB gets through the line, his decision making skills have shown to be terrible... except VS Nicholls when he could just tuck-&-run for 40yds because he could out-athlete everyone on their team.

Like some have pointed out, Dajon also has to mature off the field too. This is going on year 3 and he still seems to be immature.

I'm starting to wonder if it's not the QB talent coming to the UNT that's the problem.

Yep. And not just the QB position. We have evaluation issues at lots of positions, and seem to play only those that know the system perfectly, and have no patience for developing young talent. Only way a young guy is out there is if we have no other option.

I do like what I am hearing about simplifying things. This can help get younger guys in faster. It also makes sense because so many jucos are coming in. I wouldn't be surprised if Cosh came in and said we need to simplify some of this stuff.

• Upvote 4

Okay well if you simplify the reads it should lead to a quicker decision and the ball get out before the blitz or pressure can get to him. Decision making and pocket awareness are 2 things he needed work on with in game scenarios. Simplifying the reads will help with his decision making process. It will also help the other QBs.

• Upvote 2

A valid point. Smashmouth and control the ball with a good defense is not a bad strategy if you have the horses.

I have been keeping an eye on Arkansas as they seem to follow the same approach with Bilema. The difference is they can recruit the top offensive linemen in the country.

Does a skill position players like QB want to be in a wide open offense? Sure they do. Look at La. Tech... they aren't landing Jeff Driskoll because they intend to run the ball a lot. Which means we have to evaluate and take more risks than perhaps some other programs do.

Let's not forget Dajon, Shanbour, and Cousins are still sophs.

Means, Wells, and Chumley are still freshman.

There's still time, and typically it takes time to develop QBs. We (North Texas) can't rely on a true freshman to come in and take the reins. We don't have that kind of offense, and can't get that kind of talent in.

When they're juniors is when I expect guys to make that mental and physical leap, we just didn't have that last year for a number of reasons. I think this year will be a better year for our QBs across the board.

I mean, can't get any worse than last year in terms of passing. Right?

• Upvote 2

Let's not forget Dajon, Shanbour, and Cousins are still sophs.

Means, Wells, and Chumley are still freshman.

There's still time, and typically it takes time to develop QBs. We (North Texas) can't rely on a true freshman to come in and take the reins. We don't have that kind of offense, and can't get that kind of talent in.

When they're juniors is when I expect guys to make that mental and physical leap, we just didn't have that last year for a number of reasons. I think this year will be a better year for our QBs across the board.

I mean, can't get any worse than last year in terms of passing. Right?

Ideally, you want that credible senior on the depth chart to show them the ropes when the coaches can't be around.