Vito's Monday morning UNT WBB search update

Harry

UNTs search for a new womens basketball coach continued Monday.

Here are a couple of quick tidbits.

Swish Appeal, an SB Nation site that covers college basketball, is reporting that Edwina Brown, an assistant coach at TCU, will interview for the job. UNT has not spoken with her yet, but she is another person who would make sense. She has been an assistant at New Mexico, Texas and now TCU.

- See more at: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/03/monday-morning-unt-search-update.html/#sthash.UXZOHMMD.dpuf

Just looked on the Women NCAA Tournament and saw that U Conn just kicked Texas tail.

GMG

That is being very kind. All but doubled them up. A slaughter! Too bad, but, yes, if RV wants to chat with Jalie it seems open to do so now. Wow! U Conn is tough!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

52 point blowout with all that talent. Are we sure Jalie is the answer?

You actually think Jalie's coaching/or a lack of, somehow would have made an impact here? That was UConn's 19th win by 50 points or more this season. Texas had no chance in this one, nor does anyone else.

But thank god we have your superior basketball insight to help us fill in the blanks.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 9

We have only been competitive in women's basketball[in my memory] when Judy Nelson coached in the 80's. Our attendance hovers in the low, and I mean low 100's. I think its going to be a hard sell.

Slinker had three to four years where we were decent in the late 90's/early 00's.

I am actually really interested to see how this plays out. I mean we hit rock bottom with a solid coach or let's say a coach of the caliber I was excited we got. I would love to see an infusion of energy and passion into that sport and that will get me out to some games. GMG

I heard petersons "language in his contract" basically won't let him get out of it all together they're putting him into some administrative position and still paying the guy anyone got truth to that rumor?

Just looked on the Women NCAA Tournament and saw that U Conn just kicked Texas tail. So that means if RV has permission he can now interview Jalie Mitchell. Hopefully by April 1st name the new woman's head basketball coach for UNT.

GMG

Unless RV already has a final candidate lined up April 1st is highly unlikely. I'd expect a coach to be named before May 1st.

Edited by UNTFan23

You actually think Jalie's coaching/or a lack of, somehow would have made an impact here? That was UConn's 19th win by 50 points or more this season. Texas had no chance in this one, nor does anyone else.

But thank god we have your superior basketball insight to help us fill in the blanks.

Rick

Top-ranked UConn in trouble. 7-seed Dayton takes 44-43 lead into halftime of Elite 8 game.

— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter)

March 30, 2015

A 21 point loss...there's ol' Dayton doing more with less again.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 2

Slinker did have a few very good years primarily, the Jalie Mitchell era. Overall, she had a bad record but now looks great compared to Stephenson and Pedersen.

If NT pays Petersen money, there is no reason they shouldn't get someone that can be successful. This program is down so far, it would be almost impossible not to get a significant upgrade.

Personally, I think this would be a very tough spot for a newcomer like Jalie. On the other hand, I think the position would be tempting for someone who has more experience. CUSA is a better WBB conference than MBB, and it is a great BB area. Just get someone that can effectively deal with the players. Stephenson was one of the worse of all times and the veteran Pedersen surprisingly also had severe player relations issues.

• Upvote 1

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/582692489418657792

A 21 point loss...there's ol' Dayton doing more with less again.

I know right? I mean, 37 year old Dayton Head Coach Archie Miller, Asst Coach's Kevin Kuwik, Allen Griffin and Tom Ostrom, together taking Dayton to three NCAA's, including 2 Elite Eights, and an NIT in their first four years there.

Are we sure any of them would be the answer?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

“I am going to continue to look at the best candidates,” Villarreal said. “If that means that we will have to wait, then we will wait.”

So much for this article on March 16th which said

Villarreal has been in contact with several coaches (as expected) and should have a new coach in place in the next few days.

Edited by BillySee58

Is this stealth approach to the hiring process a norm for ADs?

Unfortunately, there are lots of women's HC positions open. Candidates have choices and as such, stretches out the search. Too bad, but that's the case. Probably ran into a "challenge" or two with a few candidates as well...like salary...and maybe what players the team has coming back as a base for the team. Who knows, but no matter when or who is selected, the experts here will have their say and probably still never come to a game. You know...support them from afar! :-) LOL!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

I support the women, it just doesn't entertain me so it's a doubtful scenario to see me at one of their games. However, if they started stringing 20+ seasons I would double take and show up bc of the excitement. I go to men's games bc it's actually entertaining to watch them play, win or lose. Granted the current state of UNT bball is definitely not for the casual, unfortunately. Maybe (doubtful) we'll see a vast improvement next season. Always "next season."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1