Why Andrew McNulty could be North Texas' most important player

GOMG2013

Oh and if Shanbour is good, play him. It's simple. If he reasonably gives us a better chance to win football games then he should be our starter. If he doesn't then he shouldn't be. But I know that McNulty doesn't give us the best chance to win football games. So if he starts we know where we stand, 4th or 5th place in the west. I hope I am wrong and McNulty has a breakout season. 2700 yards out of McNulty would be a pleasant surprise and would put us in situations to win some football games.

So we didn't even make it to April before the first "McNulty is a lot like Derek Thompson" memes get thrown out there. Alternate home game in Dallas to open the season at SMU, McNulty is just like DT was as a Sr. QB, we gotta give Benford a 4th year to see if he can truly coach a D-1 basketball team, etc...this things were as predictable as the sun coming up in the east.

We get spoonfed a lot of BS around these parts when it comes to sports that people actually care about.

I've been avoiding this thread because it's depressing to think that McNulty is our best QB. It's unrealistic to expect McNulty to improve enough to be a real threat at quarterback especially when he won't have a lot of experience around him. Maybe Dajon will figure it out. Maybe Means take the next step. Maybe Greer ... nevermind. Maybe Demarcus Smith can be the savior in the fall assuming he gets his grades up to par.

Ugh! After what we saw last year McNulty and Greer still appear to be #1 and 2. Really? That is depressing. It highlights that McCarney's biggest failure has been the inability to sign even one decent starting quarterback.

• Upvote 1

If Canales can improve McNulty's efficiency (not talent), I think we can keep our heads above water.

His YPA and %Comp was one of the lowest in the league.

For one, the run game needs to put him in better passing situations. That includes screens (man I hate screens, plus Darius Amazing Run Blocking Terrell is gone). He's way better throwing up seams, slants, and digs. Not as much on out routes, or against the zone.

Which would mean Marcus Smith is in for a big year.

I'm just asking for average play here, against CUSA-level competition.

Even if Smith brings his grades up, wouldn't it still be McNulty we see play at SMU in September. I have respect for coach Mac and Cananles, but good god the staff can be stubborn. I feel like this is the year with all our QB's brought and signed to the team, and they want to use a McNulty who brought clearly didn't bring too much to the table during our 4-8 season. Technically McNulty only helped bring the team to two wins by himself last year. Beating FAU and FIU... Making matters worse is that they are still considering Greer? Deer in the headlights.. I can go to a game kicking and screaming if McNulty plays his boring football, but I don't think I can go watch duck chucking-negative yards Greer play.

Even if Smith brings his grades up, wouldn't it still be McNulty we see play at SMU in September. I have respect for coach Mac and Cananles, but good god the staff can be stubborn. I feel like this is the year with all our QB's brought and signed to the team, and they want to use a McNulty who brought clearly didn't bring too much to the table during our 4-8 season. Technically McNulty only helped bring the team to two wins by himself last year. Beating FAU and FIU... Making matters worse is that they are still considering Greer? Deer in the headlights.. I can go to a game kicking and screaming if McNulty plays his boring football, but I don't think I can go watch duck chucking-negative yards Greer play.

What gives me any hope that Smith is eyed as more than just depth are McCarney's comments about last year's QB play being terrible across the board. He didn't say, "QB play was terrible until McNulty came in and provided some stability..."

only way mcnulty plays most of the season is if we are hovering around .500.

if we somehow lose SMU, the season is ruined and we should be looking towards 2016. i assume we will beat SMU, with mcnulty.

mcnulty will then play Rice, a team he had some success against before his ribs were smashed, and they are rebuilding the secondary. he will look decent and at minimum be 1-1.

@iowa is when things could get ugly and we see other qbs get a shot.

if mcnulty wins SMU and Rice, he could keep the job a lot longer. i feel a game 4 loss against so miss could warrant a qb change with portland next.

I've been avoiding this thread because it's depressing to think that McNulty is our best QB. It's unrealistic to expect McNulty to improve enough to be a real threat at quarterback especially when he won't have a lot of experience around him. Maybe Dajon will figure it out. Maybe Means take the next step. Maybe Greer ... nevermind. Maybe Demarcus Smith can be the savior in the fall assuming he gets his grades up to par.

Ugh! After what we saw last year McNulty and Greer still appear to be #1 and 2. Really? That is depressing. It highlights that McCarney's biggest failure has been the inability to sign even one decent starting quarterback.

In Texas HS Football, teams run the spread about 95% of the time--the QBs throw the ball A LOT. Why in the world would a decent QB from Texas want to come play in an offense that throws the ball down field as little as we do unless we are getting clobbered and are trying to come back? I remember in our win at home over FIU, McNulty threw a pick in the third quarter or early 4th and we never threw another pass the rest of the game while being up less than a TD. Recruiting against UNT for a QB has to be like taking candy from a baby.

In Texas HS Football, teams run the spread about 95% of the time--the QBs throw the ball A LOT. Why in the world would a decent QB from Texas want to come play in an offense that throws the ball down field as little as we do unless we are getting clobbered and are trying to come back? I remember in our win at home over FIU, McNulty threw a pick in the third quarter or early 4th and we never threw another pass the rest of the game while being up less than a TD. Recruiting against UNT for a QB has to be like taking candy from a baby.

And MiniMac was 9-20 for 105 yards with 2 picks in that game.

And yet there are those on here who believe we will be successful with him behind center.

So UNT of them.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1