Revive Bill Blakeley phenom eta ?

cogido

In UNT Coach Bill Blakeley's days (70s) I remember when the Super Pit was FULL, not a third filled at best like today. I remember when we went to Dallas and beat smu and brought a full house of fans to the game ! smu was pissed. I remember Stan Blackman and Scooter , fantastic hard driven players. Why can't we get out of this slow moving ,mortifying, period. I know everyone is working hard, but history tells us that it CAN HAPPEN AT UNT. It isn't happening now. UNT has all the economic and infrastructure attributes to be able to dominate north Texas regional athletics. We get a RIGHT FORMULA for a couple of seasons and then plunge off the map for years. I have been to Austin , talked with the Governor on UNT and non UNT business, know our state reps, BUT ... I can't get it done by my self. Get busy guys! REALLY ! They listen to their constituency. SUPPORT UNT , pick up your phone or e mail , show some fan-constituent support !!!

I'm getting old. HELP!!! Love my UNT.

Blakeley will never be repeated. He was a showman who understood that the people wanted to be entertained. All coaches now are way too button down to ever do what Blakeley did....hold his nose to refs over bad calls, pray on the sideline, throw off his coat at the right moment, have a theme on the back of his chair for each season, have players who would throw the ball the full length of the court as a designed play, and many many other fun moments. Winning helps, but we must understand that there is great competition for the entertainment dollar in this market.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Blakeley will never be repeated. He was a showman who understood that the people wanted to be entertained. All coaches now are way too button down to ever do what Blakeley did....hold his nose to refs over bad calls, pray on the sideline, throw off his coat at the right moment, have a theme on the back of his chair for each season, have players who would throw the ball the full length of the court as a designed play, and many many other fun moments. Winning helps, but we must understand that there is great competition for the entertainment dollar in this market.

So very much fun being a season ticket holder and watching those Blakeley years. Anticipation built each year prior to the season to see what the slogan would be on the back of the chairs for the year. That was back in the day when the home bench was located where the visitor bench is today. Great fun times in the Super Pit. Thanks for the memories Coach Blakeley.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fry left before he had to make any changes as I recall. But, when Hayden looked at you in the eyes, as he did me, and said "we are going to win"...we won ! I know, I know... But it happened. I have some Odus Mitchell and Rod Rust memories too, but that's just old timer history.I am all for Coach Mac, love that Irish fighting spirit, and would love to see Benford get a winning season but don't know.. Go Mean Green !!!!

• Upvote 1