MGB: 5 steps UNT needs to take to improve

Brett Vito

When are you going to insist that RV make a breakout coaching hire?

Or, Why was it not insisted that this past season, or the one prior, be Benford's breakout year? I mean, gotta give him 1 year to get rid of the 'cancers', right?

REALLY HOLDING THEM FEET TO THE FIRE NOW!!!!!!

Benny lucking into a breakout season (what would that even mean for this pile of garbage?) would be the worst thing that could possibly happen to Mean Green basketball....

Yeah. This. This may actually be worse than a complete disaster next year... because it would likely equal an extension.

Wonder what "breakout" even means? Over .500? 20-wins?

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

With no hc change, what NT needs is an infusion of talent. I think Benford has got to the point, that he can win with superior talent, however I don't know how he is going to get it here.

Next year will obviously dictate Benford's fate, and although I don't like it unless the team totally implodes or there is a new AD; he will get the last year of his contract.

Going into next year, NT has only two players it can rely on. Combs and I believe Reese, if he can control the off-court stuff. I also think Harris can be something special, again if he controls his behavior both on and off the court. Taylor if he gets another year has still got to prove he can play. A lot of ifs in the returners,and even if everyone is back and stable; there still are giant holes to fill.

Primary, a front player with at least average CUSA starter skills, preferably two. Benford's big men transfers have all been either busts or at best role players except for Voss, that has to change if any success is gained. Going into the season with Combs, Amed and a very promising freshman is a recipe for at best a season like last year. I don't think many realize how important Voss was to last year's team.

Secondly, NT needs a dependable outside scoring treat. Taylor, Harris, or Reese could be that person; but I hate to depend on any of them.

Last word is with Benford, no one knows who will actually be here at the start of play. He could completely turn over the squad or fed-up players could just leave.

Next season is make-it-or-break-it with him...there will only be a 2017 if he gets an extension. No way that we let a coach go and recruit with one year left on his contract--nobody would ever sign with a coach who could be gone by the end of the season.

• Upvote 1

Or, Why was it not insisted that this past season, or the one prior, be Benford's breakout year? I mean, gotta give him 1 year to get rid of the 'cancers', right?

Yeah. This. This may actually be worse than a complete disaster next year... because it would likely equal an extension.

I would hope that the "breakout" season would involve 20 wins AND a winning season in conference play AND a postseason tournament bid in the NCAA or NIT only.

What I have a suspicious feeling about is that it is just going to take .500 or better to get him extended. RV needs this to work out BADLY...otherwise, you are looking at another major hire as a bust under his watch, in the one sport that actually had turned into something decent.

You know, I get that Benford's buyout is big and that it is just more than we can or choose to pay right now, for a lot of reasons, acceptable and unacceptable. But if football does what we think it will in 2015, which is get about 3-4 wins, and Benford follows that up with a 17-15 record full of wins over SWAC and D-II teams in OOC and still gets extended, how are you ever going to get a fanbase built up to even remotely come close to averaging decent attendance at the Super Pit or Apogee? And if that isn't your goal, then why play FBS/Division 1 athletics?

• Upvote 2

some major donors close to this program have insisted that next year will be Benford's breakout year.

Always next year...

fixed it for ya

and self ban begins again...............now

Stupid me. I allowed myself to actually feel hope for a brief moment before realizing this is almost identical to what you posted after last season.

So I guess break out is 3 games under with a first round blow out 28 point loss to a lower seed in the conference tournament?

Great?...

• Upvote 1

You could say over .500 would be a breakout since he's never done it before...

Plenty of guys who could be good here (my guy is still Scott Cross), it just doesn't appear that anything will happen until next year. At that point I don't know what our financial situation will look like.

Not sure why you think he would want to leave. Not only is it his alma mater, but currently it is a better job.

Now you know why I pushed the importance of the 3 or 4 year contract.

Rick

I think it's beyond sad that it would be easier to try and get a coach here for only a 3 year contract because it would make it easier to replace that coach sooner. A crazy approach that, oh, every single FBS school uses is to actually buy out that contract early if needed.
  • Upvote 2

In 1961, my freshman year,Charles Johnson was men's basketball coach. In the 54 seasons since then we have been thru 11 coaches who had a combined 16 winning seasons.Johnny Jones,R.V.'s hire, was responsible for 6 of them. While I personally would not have hired an "assistant head coach", I am content in seeing his 4th year play out. Just saying....

In 1961, my freshman year,Charles Johnson was men's basketball coach. In the 54 seasons since then we have been thru 11 coaches who had a combined 16 winning seasons.Johnny Jones,R.V.'s hire, was responsible for 6 of them. While I personally would not have hired an "assistant head coach", I am content in seeing his 4th year play out. Just saying....

And by content you mean you buy multiple season tickets and attend all or nearly all of the home games?

Also you are content with being blown out by an 11 win team and seeing a 4th year from a coach who was in charge for the only loss to a D2 this school has ever had and finished below .500 in two of his three years here and can't seem to get and keep recruits on the team for more than a season (especially high school recruits-the lifeblood of long term success).

In my opinion, that's an....interesting position.

And by content you mean you buy multiple season tickets and attend all or nearly all of the home games?

Also you are content with being blown out by an 11 win team and seeing a 4th year from a coach who was in charge for the only loss to a D2 this school has ever had and finished below .500 in two of his three years here and can't seem to get and keep recruits on the team for more than a season (especially high school recruits-the lifeblood of long term success).

I've enjoyed a chance to sit in Mr. Wardly's seats before... Yes, he buys season tickets.

• Upvote 1

Not surprising. People get used to losing, and historically we have been doing that for a very long time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

oh the cow kicked nelly in the belly in the barn

and the farmer said it will do her no harm

same song second verse could get better but its gonna get worse

same song third verse could get better but its gonna get worse

same song fourth verse could get better but its gonna get worse

same song fifth verse could get better but its gonna get worse

same song sixth verse could get better but its gonna get worse.........
that was fun typing the same thing over and over again and never changing or inventing a new story. what was the topic of this thread? OH YEAH, the same as all other threads. Fire Rick and Fire Benford and fire fire fire fire and throw in" the board of regents don't care" and "please pray the new president does something about this."
#itsallajoke
Edited by flyonthewall
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

that was fun typing the same thing over and over again and never changing or inventing a new story. what was the topic of this thread? OH YEAH, the same as all other threads. Fire Rick and Fire Benford and fire fire fire fire and throw in" the board of regents don't care" and "please pray the new president does something about this."

#itsallajoke

I don't care if you are a successful business owner and you donate a lot to the school, you are one weird dude that is taking this board way too serious. We get it, you like RV but respect the rights of others to voice their displeasure with his performance.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

and self ban begins again...............now

#itsallajoke

You fell off that wagon in glorious fashion. I salute you.

• Upvote 1

#itsallajoke

Kinda like the 14 years under RV's "leadership," eh?

#itsallajoke

Change cow to Benny, Nelly to UNT, belly to nuts, barn to Pit and Farmer to AD.

You picked a great song to describe our situation.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 4

I don't care if you are a successful business owner and you donate a lot to the school, you are one weird dude that is taking this board way too serious. We get it, you like RV but respect the rights of others to voice their displeasure with his performance.

Would be OK if that respect went both ways, don't you think? Only people who get hammered here are the ones who support the program regardless of who is coach or AD. You know, those who actually show up to support the players in person...like flyonthewall.

Respect should be a two way street, but that doesn't go well here...unless you are one who wants everyone fired. Fair is fair...fly is only countering the high constant whine.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Would be OK if that respect went both ways, don't you think? Only people who get hammered here are the ones who support the program regardless of who is coach or AD. You know, those who actually show up to support the players in person...like flyonthewall.

Respect should be a two way street, but that doesn't go well here...unless you are one who wants everyone fired. Fair is fair...fly is only countering the high constant whine.

It's very hard to sugar coat the way things have been going around here. What would you like to see in terms of respect?

People are definitely very critical of our AD right now, and I think it is justified. If you or anyone else comes in here to say "keep quiet, we'll handle this on the inside", of course it is not going to be welcomed. In an indirect way, it is implying one side is the boss and the other side should not have a voice. Why would that be respected?

• Upvote 2