MGB: 5 steps UNT needs to take to improve

Brett Vito

Don't know why anyone expected 20 wins without a point guard and a center. (The most key positions on a team) What really needs to happen (but will not) is to convince more guys to not come back. We need more impact guys on the team instead of backup role players. I thought TJ Taylor was a great HS player but he lost all his explosiveness due to his injuries. He is also a tweaner that we need to move on from. (Good player though).

We definitely need another (larger big body) big in the middle; to assist Brice during his development. Though Voss was the best we had and gave his all, we need more production than 8.8 ppg and 5-6 boards. There is a lot of talent still available to help this team improve. I think we will be better. We also need Taylor's spot for a transfer for 2016-17.

Just my thoughts

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

some major donors close to this program have insisted that next year will be Benford's breakout year.

Always next year...

fixed it for ya

and self ban begins again...............now

REALLY HOLDING THEM FEET TO THE FIRE NOW!!!!!!

Benny lucking into a breakout season (what would that even mean for this pile of garbage?) would be the worst thing that could possibly happen to Mean Geen basketball. Could we not just cancel the season, ride out Benny's last year, and start over?

• Upvote 3

Benny lucking into a breakout season (what would that even mean for this pile of garbage?) would be the worst thing that could possibly happen to Mean Geen basketball. Could we not just cancel the season, ride out Benny's last year, and start over?

Agree. He should be encouraged to resign and if he doesn't he should be reassigned and an assistant promoted from within. Any program with an ounce of accountability with a demand for success would do everything short of canceling the season and move on.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

some major donors close to this program have insisted that next year will be Benford's breakout year.

Always next year...

fixed it for ya

Not sure how they can insist on this.Unless they are all blind and don't watch the games.

Too much has to happen for this team to be good next year. We are banking on a lot of unknowns. We have talent, but we don't have a successful system. What makes people think that these guys will suddenly buy into a coach that hasn't accomplished anything worth while? Again we are likely to have a roster of guys who haven't played with each other much. I just don't believe you can have as much turnover in the roster as UNT has at the mid major level and expect to be successful.

The best thing for this program is to fix the problem at the top.Cut ties with Benford and go grab Anthony Grant that just got let go from Bama.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

With no hc change, what NT needs is an infusion of talent. I think Benford has got to the point, that he can win with superior talent, however I don't know how he is going to get it here.

Next year will obviously dictate Benford's fate, and although I don't like it unless the team totally implodes or there is a new AD; he will get the last year of his contract.

Going into next year, NT has only two players it can rely on. Combs and I believe Reese, if he can control the off-court stuff. I also think Harris can be something special, again if he controls his behavior both on and off the court. Taylor if he gets another year has still got to prove he can play. A lot of ifs in the returners,and even if everyone is back and stable; there still are giant holes to fill.

Primary, a front player with at least average CUSA starter skills, preferably two. Benford's big men transfers have all been either busts or at best role players except for Voss, that has to change if any success is gained. Going into the season with Combs, Amed and a very promising freshman is a recipe for at best a season like last year. I don't think many realize how important Voss was to last year's team.

Secondly, NT needs a dependable outside scoring treat. Taylor, Harris, or Reese could be that person; but I hate to depend on any of them.

Last word is with Benford, no one knows who will actually be here at the start of play. He could completely turn over the squad or fed-up players could just leave.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Always next year...

fixed it for ya

I'll believe it when I see it. We lost two seniors that were heavy contributors in terms of minutes and points (#1 Williams 34.3 avg min & 14.7 pts; #3 Voss 29.9 avg min & 8.8 pts). TJ will also be difficult to replace but I think Reese can fill that hole.

Not sure how they can insist on this.Unless they are all blind and don't watch the games.

Too much has to happen for this team to be good next year. We are banking on a lot of unknowns. We have talent, but we don't have a successful system. What makes people think that these guys will suddenly buy into a coach that hasn't accomplished anything worth while? Again we are likely to have a roster of guys who haven't played with each other much. I just don't believe you can have as much turnover in the roster as UNT has at the mid major level and expect to be successful.

The best thing for this program is to fix the problem at the top.Cut ties with Benford and go grab Anthony Grant that just got let go from Bama.

There's just no way we could afford Grant if we bought out Benford's contract. Buying out Peterson's expensive contract and Benford's in the same offseason would likely lead us to an inexpensive hire. I would love to hire Grant, but with the way things are going I just don't see us making a splash hire. But, looks like we're going to keep Benford.
  • Upvote 1

There's just no way we could afford Grant if we bought out Benford's contract. Buying out Peterson's expensive contract and Benford's in the same offseason would likely lead us to an inexpensive hire.

The good thing about hiring a recently fired coach is they are usually still getting paid by their last school and the gaining school may not have to pay them as much as a result.
  • Upvote 1

That's like, what??? 20 cheerleading competitions that could be scheduled instead!!! Some serious buyout cashola!!!1!

There's just no way we could afford Grant if we bought out Benford's contract. Buying out Peterson's expensive contract and Benford's in the same offseason would likely lead us to an inexpensive hire. I would love to hire Grant, but with the way things are going I just don't see us making a splash hire. But, looks like we're going to keep Benford.

Okay well if you want a guy on the cheap what about Mike Davis from Texas Southern?