MGB breaking news -- Petersen out at UNT

Brett Vito

Oh good grief! Worst hire? How was RV to know she would take a 4 and 20 something team down to Austin and nearly walk out with a win, prompting Texas to immediately come calling as soon as the season was over? If she knew ahead of time Texas was going to be looking and interested in her she could have simply stayed in Charlotte another year.

And how do you slap a program that won 4 games the year before? LOL!

And a wasted hire? She brought in three good players and asked them to honor their commitment here after she left, which they all did, giving Peterson a solid foundation to start with. And he promptly ran them off. She thought enough of one of our own, Jalie, and brought her on board, paving the way for a potential great hire for us down the road. She immediately won against some name schools and at one point had us in the lead for biggest turnarounds nationally and got people interested in the program who had not been for many years including myself..

If there was a waste at all it would have been us not getting a solid buyout paid to us by Texas, which falls at RV's feet? We may have, I don't know. But hiring Aston was anything but a waste.

Rick

Yes! Ashton was a terrific hire.

• Upvote 1

Oh good grief! Worst hire? How was RV to know she would take a 4 and 20 something team down to Austin and nearly walk out with a win, prompting Texas to immediately come calling as soon as the season was over? If she knew ahead of time Texas was going to be looking and interested in her she could have simply stayed in Charlotte another year.

And a wasted hire? She brought in three good players and asked them to honor their commitment here after she left, which they all did, giving Peterson a solid foundation to start with. And he promptly ran them off. She thought enough of one of our own, Jalie, and brought her on board, paving the way for a potential great hire for us down the road. She immediately won against some name schools and at one point had us in the lead for biggest turnarounds nationally and got people interested in the program who had not been for many years including myself..

If there was a waste at all it would have been us not getting a solid buyout paid to us by Texas, which falls at RV's feet? We may have, I don't know. But hiring Aston was anything but a waste.

Rick

will there come a point where you finally admit that the only reason your so vehemently defend Aston...to the point of fabricating her win/loss record...is the fact that she did happy things for your pants?

Edited by Censored by Laurie
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

will there come a point where you finally admit that the only reason your so vehemently defend Aston...to the point of fabricating her win/loss record...is the fact that she did happy things for your pants?

I've not fabricated anything.

And why are you so interested in my pants? Don't have enough in your own?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Here's an update on the 6 hires RV has made in the revenue sports in the last decade:

Women's basketball:

- 25-67 Stephens (2008-2011)

- 15-16 Aston (2011-2012)

- 28-61 Peterson (2012-2015)

68-144 total

Men's basketball:

- 12-20 Benford (2012-2013)

- 16-16 Benford (2013-2014)

- 14-16 Benford (2014-2015)

42-52 total

Football:

- 6-37 Dodge (2007-2010)

- 22-27 Mccarney (2011-2014)

28-64 total

Total:

138-260

122 games under .500 between those 6 hires. They have coached in a combined 19 seasons, and unless the basketball team wins the CUSA tournament then we will have only 1 winning season out of those 19. Which was the 2013 football season, which resulted in a 5-year extension for Mccarney.

Officially just 1 winning season out of the last 18 seasons combined between these last 6 revenue-sport hires by RV. And now 123 games under .500 between those 6.

Edited by BillySee58

Officially just 1 winning season out of the last 18 seasons combined between these last 6 revenue-sport hires by RV. And now 123 games under .500 between those 6.

I don't think it's exactly fair to leave out the success the men's basketball team experience during the same timeframe.

I don't think it's exactly fair to leave out the success the men's basketball team experience during the same timeframe.

I've said it before, I've never said he doesn't deserve credit for Johnny Jones, but that's a hire he made 14 years ago. These coaches are the ones he has hired recently/in the past decade. They're also, IMO, more indicative of what you're going to get if you allow present-day RV to make another revenue sports hire.Which is my point, as we head into a situation where we just had to fire an extremely expensive women's basketball coach, and we've got a men's coach firmly on the hot seat (or at least he should be).

• Upvote 1

Rick

Well if it wasn't a waste -you all should feel used. Those in the know, actually knew UT was going to make a move and since their 1.25M experiment from Duke didn't work out; the TX powers that be; vowed never to go back outside of TX for their next hire. Ashton used UNT as a pawn and sad thing is that you guys still didn't know it 3 years later. Your AD might get a little help from you so called fans if you'd actually support women's sport with attendance and money instead of acting cowardly and fussing about hires on a blog. Real support; not uninformed blog chatter.

Edited by NotAFan
  • Upvote 1

Well if it wasn't a waste -you all should feel used. Those in the know, actually knew UT was going to make a move and since their 1.25M experiment from Duke didn't work out; the TX powers that be; vowed never to go back outside of TX for their next hire. Ashton used UNT as a pawn and sad thing is that you guys still didn't know it 3 years later. Your AD might get a little help from you so called fans if you'd actually support women's sport with attendance and money instead of acting cowardly and fussing about hires on a blog. Real support; not uninformed blog chatter.

this-guy-i-love-this-guy_o_467185.jpg

• Upvote 1

So you are saying our AD KNEW that UT would come calling, yet only agreed to a $114k buyout?

Really?

You know, since you are cryptically "in the know" (which means you only know what the AD wants you to know so you can defend him), please tell us why a larger buy out wasn't in Aston's contract? Why was her buyout at UNCC bigger than her buyout at UNT?

An AD that's a terrible negotiator?

Just maybe?

And I don't hide on a blog. LOTS of folks surrounding this program know me and know what I write here. So as far as being a coward, strike one.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So you are saying our AD KNEW that UT would come calling, yet only agreed to a $114k buyout?

Really?

You know, since you are cryptically "in the know" (which means you only know what the AD wants you to know so you can defend him), please tell us why a larger buy out wasn't in Aston's contract? Why was her buyout at UNCC bigger than her buyout at UNT?

An AD that's a terrible negotiator?

Just maybe?

And I don't hide on a blog. LOTS of folks surrounding this program know me and know what I write here. So as far as being a coward, strike one.

You are mistaken. I said people in the know; which means basketball know (Your guy is a football man; begging to be a baseball man) He didn't know. He missed on a big pay off. UT has a real athletic budget. He actually thought he had lucked up and got a woman to take a huge reduction in pay, come to a lesser conference to a school with no post-season NCAA success because.....that is actually a good question of why he didn't look too deep for the hidden agenda. Or maybe he was just so happy; he would take her for one year. Ashton is sharper and crafter than the lot of you. (Even if you don't believe; just think-why would a seasoned, successful coach WRITE in such a small buy-out.....she is worth more than that walking into the door...she knew she wouldn't be there long and she didn't want to mess up her future money with a buy out that even Peterson could secure) She is also luckier. She was betting she would have to do a 2 year stint, but the UT powers moved quicker when they saw their perfectly placed gem within their "eyes" sight and back on Texas soil. The rest is history, but I guess breaking news to the Mean Green. Edited by NotAFan
  • Upvote 1

You are mistaken. I said people in the know; which means basketball know (Your guy is a football man; begging to be a baseball man) He didn't know. He missed on a big pay off. UT has a real athletic budget. He actually thought he had lucked up and got a woman to take a huge reduction in pay, come to a lesser conference to a school with no post-season NCAA success because.....that is actually a good question of why he didn't look too deep for the hidden agenda. Or maybe he was just so happy; he would take her for one year. Ashton is sharper and crafter than the lot of you. (Even if you don't believe; just think-why would a seasoned, successful coach WRITE in such a small buy-out.....she is worth more than that walking into the door...she knew she wouldn't be there long and she didn't want to mess up her future money with a buy out that even Peterson could secure) She is also luckier. She was betting she would have to do a 2 year stint, but the UT powers moved quicker when they saw their perfectly placed gem within their "eyes" sight and back on Texas soil. The rest is history, but I guess breaking news to the Mean Green.

What exactly does piss taste like on cornflakes?

• Upvote 2

You are mistaken. I said people in the know; which means basketball know (Your guy is a football man; begging to be a baseball man) He didn't know. He missed on a big pay off. UT has a real athletic budget. He actually thought he had lucked up and got a woman to take a huge reduction in pay, come to a lesser conference to a school with no post-season NCAA success because.....that is actually a good question of why he didn't look too deep for the hidden agenda. Or maybe he was just so happy; he would take her for one year. Ashton is sharper and crafter than the lot of you. (Even if you don't believe; just think-why would a seasoned, successful coach WRITE in such a small buy-out.....she is worth more than that walking into the door...she knew she wouldn't be there long and she didn't want to mess up her future money with a buy out that even Peterson could secure) She is also luckier. She was betting she would have to do a 2 year stint, but the UT powers moved quicker when they saw their perfectly placed gem within their "eyes" sight and back on Texas soil. The rest is history, but I guess breaking news to the Mean Green.

There was talk of her eventually ending up at UT on this board when she was hired, so it wasn't "breaking news" when she left.

There was talk of her eventually ending up at UT on this board when she was hired, so it wasn't "breaking news" when she left.

Well if you knew; all your previous conversations regarding the matter are moot points. Someone remarked that how could you know that TX would come calling; the question is why didn't you know. Maybe 1 year was good enough for you all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think you should question why our AD didn't write a bigger buy out into the contract instead of why a fan board does anything.

I mean, under your scenerio, Aston HAD to get back to Texas, and there was only one job open in Texas at the proper level, so why didn't the AD use that to his advantage?

Or do you only care about belittling people on a fan board?

I think you should question why our AD didn't write a bigger buy out into the contract instead of why a fan board does anything.

I mean, under your scenerio, Aston HAD to get back to Texas, and there was only one job open in Texas at the proper level, so why didn't the AD use that to his advantage?

Or do you only care about belittling people on a fan board?

This board belittles former coaches beyond belief and now you are sensitive. Hilarious! Edited by NotAFan
  • Upvote 1

So which former coach are you?

I'm all of them. I don't believe in kicking someone when their obviously already down. That takes a narrow mind and cruel personality type. All my life I've engaged with coaches and know that it's only the passion that allows them to take such heat from uninformed fan boards. If anyone has ever been fired from your regular job....could you imagine random people celebrating over your demise. Your AD is not the best, but I'd never call for someone's job. I'm sure most of you are not the best in your given professions; so would you appreciate the same response to your shortcomings.

• Upvote 1

I'm all of them. I don't believe in kicking someone when their obviously already down. That takes a narrow mind and cruel personality type. All my life I've engaged with coaches and know that it's only the passion that allows them to take such heat from uninformed fan boards. If anyone has ever been fired from your regular job....could you imagine random people celebrating over your demise. Your AD is not the best, but I'd never call for someone's job. I'm sure most of you are not the best in your given professions; so would you appreciate the same response to your shortcomings.

Interesting. So you basically hate all college athletics fans.

They get paid A LOT of money and are in a public position. When you have a very public job, you should expect very public criticism. Ask Pres. Bush or Pres. Obama. These people know it and have very tough skin. Why is yours so so thin?

As for RV, would you sit idly by while a venture in which you were invested financially and emotionally floundered for years, and when you asked for answers on certain issues, you were flat out lied to by the leader of that venture?

I think not.

You say you are friends of coaches current and past? How about some full disclosure on your current relationship with the coaching staffs and AD at UNT? You know, so this uninformed fan board can become more informed...

Edited by UNT90

I'm so confused by the direction this thread has taken.

Let me get this straight: A Jungian collective consciousness "ghost of coaches past" has manifested in this thread to cryptically haunt message board ("blog") fans for not closely assessing all the underpinnings of a women's basketball coach two hires ago. And, the main piece of evidence against said fans is that they didn't scream bloody murder at the mere possibility that Aston would use this job as a springboard to a higher-profile one? Don't we always discuss that possibility almost ad nauseum with every hire? That's the ever-present reality of the mid-major lifestyle.

• Upvote 1

I'm so confused by the direction this thread has taken.

Let me get this straight: A Jungian collective consciousness "ghost of coaches past" has manifested in this thread to cryptically haunt message board ("blog") fans for not closely assessing all the underpinnings of a women's basketball coach two hires ago. And, the main piece of evidence against said fans is that they didn't scream bloody murder at the mere possibility that Aston would use this job as a springboard to a higher-profile one? Don't we always discuss that possibility almost ad nauseum with every hire? That's the ever-present reality of the mid-major lifestyle.

Obviously confused and missed the entire point. Read back further.

Interesting. So you basically hate all college athletics fans.

They get paid A LOT of money and are in a public position. When you have a very public job, you should expect very public criticism. Ask Pres. Bush or Pres. Obama. These people know it and have very tough skin. Why is yours so so thin?

As for RV, would you sit idly by while a venture in which you were invested financially and emotionally floundered for years, and when you asked for answers on certain issues, you were flat out lied to by the leader of that venture?

I think not.

You say you are friends of coaches current and past? How about some full disclosure on your current relationship with the coaching staffs and AD at UNT? You know, so this uninformed fan board can become more informed...

You should definitely have a level of expectations when you are investing fiscally and emotionally into a program. You have earned that right. I'd dare say that given the support of athletics at UNT (public record) most on here do not.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1