Pre-Spring Two Deep

Aldo

Wow. A lot of position changes. I think Tillman Johnson will be a starter when we play SMU, but I'm not surprised to see him 2nd huddle right now.

Linebacker is obviously very interesting. Bean played for Cosh, so there's familiarity there. We'll also likely be able to add Finney to that mix soon. Weird to see Sed Ellis at SAM, since he's a smaller linebacker. Whoever takes over for Akunne at SAM will not have near the size. And I don't think Scott has the ideal attributes for WILL, but we'll see.

At DT I expect Orr to be at the 3-tech, but I think Syd Moore will get playing time there as well. Hopefully Mustafa is ready to give quality snaps as well.

Edited by BillySee58

Bean is definitely a Mike. More surprised to see Fred moved to Will.

EDIT: Also nice to see Haboul crack the 2-deep. Hopefully he can contribute this season.

Until the freshmen get here there are only those 5 DTs, if he wasn't on the list then it would have been a huge problem.

Oops. Guess I should have checked the site first. Looks like they decided to not decide on QB until later.

I wish it just simply had said "TBD"

Because that is what should happen. Wide open, from Shanbour to McNulty and all comers on the roster.

Wow. A lot of position changes. I think Tillman Johnson will be a starter when we play SMU, but I'm not surprised to see him 2nd huddle right now.

Linebacker is obviously very interesting. Bean played for Cosh, so there's familiarity there. We'll also likely be able to add Finney to that mix soon. Weird to see Sed Ellis at SAM, since he's a smaller linebacker. Whoever takes over for Akunne at SAM will not have near the size. And I don't think Scott has the ideal attributes for WILL, but we'll see.

At DT I expect Orr to be at the 3-tech, but I think Syd Moore will get playing time there as well. Hopefully Mustafa is ready to give quality snaps as well.

"Junior Fred Scott will slide into Akunne's outside-linebacker spot, while Buffalo transfer Blake Bean is going into the spring as the No. 1 middle linebacker. Calvin Minor and Sed Ellis each return at the other outside-linebacker position."

Winter Workouts Conclude, Spring Practice Begins Tuesday

Looks like Smiley, Harris, Kidsy at X, Y, Z and rotating Goree at Y (to start the spring off) and Rutherford competing at X. Khaaaaaan is competing for the flanker spot.

Goree is going to create all kinds of mismatches at the slot position, but I think it's more of an indication that Rutherford and Goree will still have minimal impact this year (a la Kidsy and Smiley last year).

Disappointed to see Flusche's name left off. He has legitimate size for a DE and seemed to make a few plays last year, but nowhere to be found on the depth chart.

I'm thinking this 2-deep will look a little different by the time Spring is over.

• Upvote 3

I agree regarding the current version. While it probably does reflect some reality, it would not surprise me if the coaches were sending messages to certain players with their placement/exclusion in certain instances. It will be interesting to see it develop between now and the start of the season. Sometimes there has been a decent amount of change, and sometimes there hasn't. I don't see where a lot of players have their positions pretty much locked up, so I would expect a decent amount of change this year from the current version to opening day depth chart.