2015 Spring Roster

BillySee58

The 2015 Spring Roster is now up on MGS.

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ntex-m-footbl-mtt.html

A few things worth noting:

- another defection from the 2012 class in Lajaylin Smith, no longer on the roster. Now all the Lousiana signees from that class are no longer with the team.

- tight end Cooper Jones no longer on the roster. Had a year left of eligibility.

- defensive back Zach Whitfield no longer on the roster. Helps explain why we so desperately made sure we got a JUCO corner even after so many targets committed elsewhere

- still a lot of incorrect grade classifications

- numbers have been assigned to spring enrollees

- funny misspelling of Brian Ochs' name

- Still no Shanbour on the roster, but it sounds like he has been participating in offseason

- TVCC Lineman Garrett Gunter added (walkon)

- Evangel University and former South Grand Prairie receiver BJ Ebozue added (walkon)

- Former Plano high DB Bobby Jefferson added as well (walkon)

• Upvote 2

A couple of thoughts here.

We have the same number of QBs on scholarship as WRs (5).

We have 10 (11?) LBs on scholarship. Seems a ridiculously high number.

Thin at TE. Hope those two freshmen come ready to get on the field.

Same at DT where we have 5 scholarship players contending for what should be 5-6 spots. Come on freshman.

Edited by 97and03

The 2015 Spring Roster is now up on MGS.

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ntex-m-footbl-mtt.html

A few things worth noting:

- another defection from the 2012 class in Lajaylin Smith, no longer on the roster. Now all the Lousiana signees from that class are no longer with the team.

- tight end Cooper Jones no longer on the roster. Had a year left of eligibility.

- defensive back Zach Whitfield no longer on the roster. Helps explain why we so desperately made sure we got a JUCO corner even after so many targets committed elsewhere

- still a lot of incorrect grade classifications

- numbers have been assigned to spring enrollees

- funny misspelling of Brian Ochs' name

- Still no Shanbour on the roster, but it sounds like he has been participating in offseason

- TVCC Lineman Garrett Gunter added (walkon)

- Evangel University and former South Grand Prairie receiver BJ Ebozue added (walkon)

- Former Plano high DB Bobby Jefferson added as well (walkon)

Sucks. He was enigmatic. I hope he does well in life and hope he winds up getting his degree. I hated his final play, and hoped he would come back and redeem himself with a huge Sr year.

Not going to miss Jones or Smith. Neither were contributing much other than Jones' hijinks on Beyond The Green.

The Jackson twins were on scholarship at New Mexico, no? Are we anticipating their making an impact in the secondary this season?

Yes they were. They each had 7 FBS offers out of high school, including from us, and played as freshmen at UNM. So the talent is there. They each will have an opportunity to make an impact if they fit in well.

The Jackson twins were on scholarship at New Mexico, no? Are we anticipating their making an impact in the secondary this season?

Considering the juco/transfer dbs we have and the ones we have gone after, doesnt seem like it.

I saw them in high school, and they were good on that level. I feel they can play, but college football is different, and the way our corners are lined up, 8 yards off the man, is totally different from the style they played.

Considering the juco/transfer dbs we have and the ones we have gone after, doesnt seem like it.

I saw them in high school, and they were good on that level. I feel they can play, but college football is different, and the way our corners are lined up, 8 yards off the man, is totally different from the style they played.

Well hopefully Coach Cosh brings a different system with him that doesn't give opposing WR's a free release every. single. play.

It would be nice to see some press, specifically on obvious run downs and vs teams that run a lot of intermediate routes.

Well hopefully Coach Cosh brings a different system with him that doesn't give opposing WR's a free release every. single. play.

It would be nice to see some press, specifically on obvious run downs and vs teams that run a lot of intermediate routes.

Im hearing 8 yards off...no change in defense philosophy, but things can change once the talent is evaluated in person and the pads come on.

Just like we had predictability issues with offense, I think we may have had the same issues on defense. Even if we run the same defense, if cosh can call it different, it could help.

Im hearing 8 yards off...no change in defense philosophy, but things can change once the talent is evaluated in person and the pads come on.

Just like we had predictability issues with offense, I think we may have had the same issues on defense. Even if we run the same defense, if cosh can call it different, it could help.

Exactly. Curveballs have to be thrown or teams are just going to sit back and crush us.

I would love too see exotic blitzes and aggression. The D that is currently in place is great if the players can bow their neck once the opposing team crosses the 50. But it's currently apparent that's not happening so aggression is key when talent is lacking a little bit. The issue has to be pushed to press offenses and force them to change.

You have to have fast Safety help behind the CBs if they're going to play up on the LOS.

Otherwise, you get burned on the deep ball... and that happened to UNT quite a bit over the past few years.

You have to have fast Safety help behind the CBs if they're going to play up on the LOS.

Otherwise, you get burned on the deep ball... and that happened to UNT quite a bit over the past few years.

Not every play, just some. Shadow a WR that is being pressed with a safety while in Nickel. Cover 1 press would be ideal. Instead of walking up the SS to help with the run while in cover 1 shadow a guy being pressed or simply just rove and read QB's eyes. We are to vanilla on D and it hurt us quite a bit last year. Getting burnt happens to every singe CFB team in America. It's a chance you have to take sometimes. On 3rd and 11, sure, play 6-8 yards off but don't do that BS on 3rd and 3. Why would you? Edited by Ben Gooding

i remember the california kid...the one that was called "toast"...

Not every play, just some. Shadow a WR that is being pressed with a safety while in Nickel. Cover 1 press would be ideal. Instead of walking up the SS to help with the run while in cover 1 shadow a guy being pressed or simply just rove and read QB's eyes. We are to vanilla on D and it hurt us quite a bit last year. Getting burnt happens to every singe CFB team in America. It's a chance you have to take sometimes. On 3rd and 11, sure, play 6-8 yards off but don't do that BS on 3rd and 3. Why would you?

Our dbs provide run support. All 4 of them. To solve the problem of why our dbs play the way they play, we will have to get a dominant front 7.

Once our front 7 shows they can stop the run, we can do more.

still does not answer the question of why we play certain coverages, even on obvious passing situations.

Sucks. He was enigmatic. I hope he does well in life and hope he winds up getting his degree. I hated his final play, and hoped he would come back and redeem himself with a huge Sr year.

Whitfield graduated early hence him moving on.

Jones also graduated.

• Upvote 2

A couple of thoughts here.

We have the same number of QBs on scholarship as WRs (5).

We have 10 (11?) LBs on scholarship. Seems a ridiculously high number.

Thin at TE. Hope those two freshmen come ready to get on the field.

Same at DT where we have 5 scholarship players contending for what should be 5-6 spots. Come on freshman.

I count four. How many did you have in mind?

As a reminder, we have 2 additional TE joining in the Fall, plus 1 currently on roster as a QB who is very likely to convert to TE.

He said in the post before "Hope those two freshmen come ready to get on the field." All three of those guys you mentioned are true freshmen, so there is some concern about the immediate depth at that position.

Luckily Jarrod Lynn, who is now classified as a fullback and no longer as a tight end before, is our primary fullback. As 97and03 referred to, we do go 3 tight ends sometimes with one in the backfield. That one in the backfield will be Lynn this year.

Whether it's Dillman, Kelvin Smith, or even Chumley at tight end, I think one of them will need to play some this year and not redshirt. With Marcus Smith, Chris Loving, and Jarrod Lynn all being seniors we need to start grooming someone for next year. I could also see us getting a JUCO tight end this year.

He said in the post before "Hope those two freshmen come ready to get on the field." All three of those guys you mentioned are true freshmen, so there is some concern about the immediate depth at that position.

Luckily Jarrod Lynn, who is now classified as a fullback and no longer as a tight end before, is our primary fullback. As 97and03 referred to, we do go 3 tight ends sometimes with one in the backfield. That one in the backfield will be Lynn this year.

Whether it's Dillman, Kelvin Smith, or even Chumley at tight end, I think one of them will need to play some this year and not redshirt. With Marcus Smith, Chris Loving, and Jarrod Lynn all being seniors we need to start grooming someone for next year. I could also see us getting a JUCO tight end this year.

I don't think Dillman redshirts, and I bet he plays alot behind Marcus, ahead of Loving.

• Upvote 1

I will miss Whitfield. I watched the BTG episode the other day that had the segment dedicated to Zach and his Mom. I wish him well, but selfishly wished he would have come back and finished his career on a high note.

Too bad for Wariner. All that talent done in due to injuries.

I find it odd that the highest rated QB's to come to UNT in the last few years, Jones, Dillman and Chumley, will all probably end up at TE. Did we ever even try Jones at QB? Just curious.