Which North Texas public universities rank among the state and nation&

Harry

UT Dallas ranked 46th out of 484 public universities and colleges nationwide, and third best in Texas, using the proprietary rankings formula.

The University of Michigan topped the survey nationwide. The University of Texas at Austin ranked highest in the Lone Star State and 12th nationally, while Texas A&M University in College Station scored second in the state and 20th overall.

After UT Dallas, the University of North Texas in Denton and UT Arlington made the area honor roll, rating second and third in the region respectively and 146th and 201st respectively nationwide. Texas A&M University-Commerce, which has a campus in downtown Dallas, ranked 232nd nationwide. No other North Texas school landed in the top 250.

Read more: http://m.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2015/02/12/which-north-texas-public-universities-rank-among.html?r=full

I knew I liked this guy from the first time I met him. Makes sense, too. He's an alum of a public institution that's about as good as anywhere in the country, in most areas (if you believe the ratings). I'd love to see UNT move into the top 100.

I agree with him 100% on the quality of professors. I had some fantastic professors in the economics department who were not only good at what they did, but they gave a damn about how the rest of us were doing. That's the key distinction -- one which he effectively drives home.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 2

Awesome that our president said this, and it is also very true. I think many private educations are extremely overvalued. Taking UNT out of the equation, you can't tell me that a degree from Baylor or TCU is more valuable than a degree from UT or A&M. If anything you are paying more to lose out on a much bigger network. Networking is everything when it comes to getting a job in today's market, so not having as big of a network to market with is reason alone to skip out on private schools. I think the Baylor, TCUs, and SMUs of the world need to realize if you're a private school and your name isn't Harvard or Yale, no one is impressed.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Exactly this. Really the only private school in the state of Texas that has the chops to back up their cost is Rice, the rest (Baylor, TCU and SMU) offer average education for an overpriced cost. Especially SMU, which relies on an excellent business program and thus the cash flow that comes from it to prop up their overall reputation.

Certain programs make sense if you want to go to SMU but I never understood why someone studying political science or history would pay that much money for a liberal arts degree. Overall, public universities are going to have more resources being funded by the state. Outside of Rice there is a significant drop off. Not saying they aren't good schools, but they aren't worth $50,000 + a year in my opinion.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

Picking schools is a VERY individual choice that often doesn't appear to make sense to others. I had a family friend who's son chose to be a music major at SMU rather than NT. I was talking to his mother and express the thought that NT had a better music school. She told me he was offered a full scholarship including room and board to attend SMU and the best NT would do was full tuition but not fees or books and certainly not room and board. I know at Baylor around 90% of the students get some level of aid from someplace. So it isn't nearly always $50k a year more!

• Upvote 1

Picking schools is a VERY individual choice that often doesn't appear to make sense to others. I had a family friend who's son chose to be a music major at SMU rather than NT. I was talking to his mother and express the thought that NT had a better music school. She told me he was offered a full scholarship including room and board to attend SMU and the best NT would do was full tuition but not fees or books and certainly not room and board. I know at Baylor around 90% of the students get some level of aid from someplace. So it isn't nearly always $50k a year more!

In those situations, definitely I would agree. But if you aren't getting a scholarship and you aren't getting a degree with the hopes of making big money (not saying you can't in music, but the odds are you won't unfortunately) then paying that much in student loans doesn't make sense. There are pros and cons for both but private school was never an option for me personally and many others.

Hard for me to believe A&M ranks that high. I know they have good programs for certain subjects, but I've known some absolute morons who have been accepted there. Granted some of them ended up dropping out, but still.

I agree, I have worked with a few moron Aggies but I would have to say some of the goofiest bastards I have ever dealt with have been from UT.
  • Upvote 1

I agree, I have worked with a few moron Aggies but I would have to say some of the goofiest bastards I have ever dealt with have been from UT.

GPA + SAT doesn't = social prowess. Usually the opposite. I'd rather hire someone from Sam Houston state who can hold a conversation like a human being than a dude from UT or even Rice who is smart but has no social skills.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Hard for me to believe A&M ranks that high. I know they have good programs for certain subjects, but I've known some absolute morons who have been accepted there. Granted some of them ended up dropping out, but still.

Depends on when they went to A&M. I think the younger (more recent) grads are as sharp as anywhere you'll find.

• Upvote 2

Depends on when they went to A&M. I think the younger (more recent) grads are as sharp as anywhere you'll find.

This. Same with UT. They raised their admissions standards a while back and both have a very different group of students now then they did a few years ago. My brother went when UT was a "party school," and its definitely more known for its academics now.

• Upvote 1

I know A&M started trying upgrade the quality of their students in the early 80s. Back in the mid/late 70s, NT had the roughly the same percentage of national merit scholars as A&M. A&M actively started recruiting NMS's from around the country in the early 80s. A friend of mine came to Texas from Detroit because A&M offered him and every NMS in his school a full scholarship to come. After doing that for a while, that attracts better faculty which then attracts better students even without the full scholarships.

He tells me the push to upgrade the academics of the students had a side effect of changing the culture at A&M. While he was there, allowing women in the band was very controversial. He was part of the student government association that voted in favor of that "radical" idea. The student body president vetoed the measure. A measure to allow gay student organizations couldn't even get enough support in the student government to be voted on back in the early 80s. Today there are both women in the band and LGBT student organizations on campus, mainly because of the change in culture as more students with stronger academics from a wider area were admitted. At least that's what my Aggie friend says.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I know A&M started trying upgrade the quality of their students in the early 80s. Back in the mid/late 70s, NT had the roughly the same percentage of national merit scholars as A&M. A&M actively started recruiting NMS's from around the country in the early 80s. A friend of mine came to Texas from Detroit because A&M offered him and every NMS in his school a full scholarship to come. After doing that for a while, that attracts better faculty which then attracts better students even without the full scholarships.

He tells me the push to upgrade the academics of the students had a side effect of changing the culture at A&M. While he was there, allowing women in the band was very controversial. He was part of the student government association that voted in favor of that "radical" idea. The student body president vetoed the measure. A measure to allow gay student organizations couldn't even get enough support in the student government to be voted on back in the early 80s. Today there are both women in the band and LGBT student organizations on campus, mainly because of the change in culture as more students with stronger academics from a wider area were admitted. At least that's what my Aggie friend says.

I think it has changed the culture at UT as well... I have a theory that UT student enthusiasm for football decreasing and increased admission standards are correlated. Generally your top 8 % -ers aren't as interested in football.

• Upvote 1

My kid is hell bent on TAMS. If she keeps up what she's doing, she'll get it. So what I'd like to see between now and then is for UNT to be a viable, attractive option for her to finish up when she's done with the program. Nonetheless, we'll be in some weird sort of way a two generation UNT family. We have a picture of her and I when I graduated, and plan to do the reverse when she graduates, then put them both in a single frame.

• Upvote 1

"In your face, everyone that isn't UNT."

Nice work, Pres. Truth told, even if UTD has higher rankings, it's limited on degree choices and as far 4-year college experiences go, it's pretty awful. It doesn't really have dorms, athletics, or its own on-campus culture. At least, nothing that would make you think of it as a 4-year school.

• Upvote 3

"In your face, everyone that isn't UNT."

Nice work, Pres. Truth told, even if UTD has higher rankings, it's limited on degree choices and as far 4-year college experiences go, it's pretty awful. It doesn't really have dorms, athletics, or its own on-campus culture. At least, nothing that would make you think of it as a 4-year school.

Agreed. I have spent some time on campus there and it is DEAD. Everyone seems to walk alone and I rarely saw anyone just hanging out.

• Upvote 1