http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/02/thoughts-on-unts-future-nonc

cogido

"Bottom line: UNT really needs to win consistently to build a following." (B. Vito / 2-11-15)

This is the most profound, never-ending program need UNT needs to accomplish. Over the years it's been hit and miss and drop out or off. The BOR needs to support RV and Coach Mac and build/demand winning consistency. JUST DO IT !!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

I've always thought successful programs that would stand the test of time does not happen overnight. I think a lot of the angst around here lately has been due to the fact we really thought we had turned a corner after winning the bowl game a year or so ago. 2014 was a tough pill to swallow. But Vito makes some decent points in that having a long term series with SMU and Army would have been things in the past we would have been excited about.

2015 will be an extremely important year for football. If we can get the winning back it will help erase the nightmare of 2014.

Here's a crazy idea that probably has never been even thought about at the BOR meetings: BUYOUT a bodybag game and work on scheduling a more attractive opponent here. The spread in costs looks like it is about $500k or so, nothing small, but in the space of college football expenditures and being at a university in Texas with 35K enrollment, I'd venture a guess that we could at least try this once and instead of playing at Arkansas and buying Abilene Christian, you could have found another two opponents to play in a series as a home-and-home, someone like BYU and New Mexico or Boise State and Houston. Again, I'm not even asking for P5s, just give me anything but FCS teams.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

Per greenpedler on the M n G Board,....

http://meanandgreen.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5230&view=unread#unread

Old Dominion has over 14,000 season ticket holders. They host North Carolina State this coming season and will charge $36 per ticket for that game. 14,000 x 36 = $504,000+ in revenue for a stadium that only seats 21,000. Their athletic director knows what he is doing. ...

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Harry, I've been saying that for YEARS. Winning is about half the formula, BUT the expectation/attitude from top to bottom that our school spirit/school pride and athletic events are important should be ever present. Once again, it should always be an expectation and not a suggestion/afterthought.

......with proper motivation and/or promotions from our administration. Someone got our students/alumni excited enough back in the late 80's to fill up Fouts for the first time ever to watch a game between us and SFA. We were both nationally ranked, but we were also 1-AA.

See above. We need to do more than win.

Edited by SilverEagle

Rick

You guys love to throw out these one-offs as some kind of evidence. Great, Old Dominion got NC State to play at their place. Check their schedule for the past 10 years, what other notable home game do they have? If you were happy with one notable OOC home game every 10 years, then I guess that means you are happy with our home schedule.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Good lord, people. RV is Mac's boss. Everything schedule related is RV's responsibility.

Shocking the ODU can get a home game with a P5 every other year for the next 10 years (Va.Tech and Wake Forrest) in a 20k stadium, isn't it?

Some ADs are just better at ADing.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

0 effort goes in to scheduling. I mean somebody just woke up one day, and in five minutes we had a home and home with army. That easy.

For the next 20 years. Should have been a 4 year series. Same with SMU.

I mean, college football certainly won't change in the next 20 years, right? (Yes, 20 is hyperbole, but hopefully you get the point).

I just hope we didn't get screwed on the out options in those contracts.

In case you just weren't paying attention, neither Army or SMU are P5s.

The fact is other schools that are our peers do a MUCH better job in this area, and you know it.

Edited by UNT90

Rick

That NC State game is part of a 2-for-1 deal. ODU played at NC State last year and will return to Raleigh, NC next year. ODU also has two FCS team on the docket this season.

That NC State game is part of a 2-for-1 deal. ODU played at NC State last year and will return to Raleigh, NC next year. ODU also has two FCS team on the docket this season.

Yet they are bringing P5s to their stadium.

A 20k seat stadium.

Meanwhile, we act like we are a member of the Big 12, except for the yearly whore game.

Edited by UNT90

Yet they are bringing P5s to their stadium.

A 20k seat stadium.

Meanwhile, we act like we are a member of the Big 12, except for the yearly whore game.

I bet we could bring P5s to Apogee if we agreed to 2-for-1 deals as well.

I bet we could bring P5s to Apogee if we agreed to 2-for-1 deals as well.

See, the thing about a 2 for 1 is the only thing it requires is to buy a home game from an FCS one time to balance out the 2 for 1.

We have bought home games the last 4 years, and have two 5 home game schedules to show for it.

Maybe that will FINALLY drive home what a terrible job this AD has done in this area.

Id be willing to bet ODU does a MUCH better job of managing their schedule in the future than UNT has done since 2009.

It was shocking to look at the schedule in 2012 and see the cluster F it was by simply doing basic math. I told you guys then that there would be another 5 home game season. It was unavoidable.

Edited by UNT90

ODU football didn't even exist 10 years ago. They are just completing transition from a startup FCS school to FBS. Much like UNT, they sit right in the midst of a recruiting hotbed and other schools want access.

And if you are using Texas Southern & Nicholls State as your points of reference for FCS, you are misguided. Sam or SFA would be better barometers here in Texas. Incarnate Word is an FCS startup and Abilene Christian is transitioning up to FCS from DII.

• Upvote 1

I dig the SMU/Army series, but I agree 20 years seems...odd? (Also, does that include previous Army games?) I mean, in that time span, SMU and Army will be up and down, so interest will wax 'n wane. But it would be better to have some scheduling diversity.

Both schools are notable football schools. They have brands whether we as UNT fans believe it or not.

UNT does not have a football brand nationally or regionally. 2 bowl wins in 101 seasons. Tbh, we still won't get a brand by bringing in a P5 that people are familiar with. Historically, we have barely been competitive against OOC mid-majors. We need to prove we can win first.

I'm glad we are getting G5 OOC schools in, but need more variety. Bring in some MWC or more MAC schools home and aways or 1 and dones at home.

So 20 years was lazy weird, but I can deal with SMU and Army, though I'm not entirely satisfied. Those will be good games. Just needed better scheduling as it ties us up in the long-term and hampers our ability to bring in schools like Houston, Cincy, Nevada, or Memphis. Heck I'll even contradict myself and say a lower-tier P5 like Illinois or Purdue.

I have no problem with the SMU or Army series, none...maybe a little longer than I would like, but again, I have no issue with either of them. Its the other two that are just ridiculous to me. If you have to have a paycheck game every year, then give your team at least a chance--schedule a Big Ten, northern ACC school, or Pac-12 school. IOW, don't go out and schedule the hardest teams in the whole college football world that have plenty of fans of their own (alums and many more t-shirts) in this area. Losing to a SEC team or southern Big 12 school by 5 TDs or more doesn't help you one bit, reputation-wise. Seriously, when we lose by 70 to OU, all the UNT students and alums who like OU aren't ever going to change their feelings about UNT. Same with UT when they beat us by 65--it just gives more ammunition to UNT students and alumni who grew up as huge UT fans yet another reason to just keep UNT behind them in their full support.

To me, if Iowa is your OOC paycheck opponent, you at least have a chance to compete with them, just because they arenb't full of the best athletes in the sport, unlike the powers of the SEC and the Big XII. If we get beat 59-0 by Iowa, then my theory of this being a better opportunity opponent will be completely wrong, but I don't see us getting creamed there, like we do in Austin, Norman, Fayetteville, Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, etc...PLus, they aren't ahuge amount of Iowa t-shirt fans walking around Denton and DFW, unlike the others mentioned.

And, worst of all, playing these teams, either forces you play another bodybag game on the road or a bought FCS game at home--neither of which is good for the program. I'd almost rather us play a second money game if things are that bad around here financially than to schedule a no-win game against Abilene Christian. Just like with Nicholls State, we literally got nothing from that game other than a win that felt like a glorified scrimmage. It didn't help our team in any way, at all. As a matter of fact, it actually made some think that the QB, who put up great numbers on a team that the Guyer HS could've beaten, was better than he was. These FCS games, while apparently enjoyed by a number of alums who want the chance to tailgate together just one extra time, are just a colossal waste of time to the rest of us. Which come to think of it, is exactly how the fans at name-your-southern-P5-giant feels about us being on their schedule--the difference is that they don't need any extra fans. We do, and an alarmingly high level of them at UNT and in Denton, give that major support to those other schools instead of ours.

Old Dominion has over 14,000 season ticket holders. They host North Carolina State this coming season and will charge $36 per ticket for that game. 14,000 x 36 = $504,000+ in revenue for a stadium that only seats 21,000. Their athletic director knows what he is doing. ...

So, does anyone know what the alumni base is for ODO? We always claim numbers in the vicinity of 200K for the D/FW area. Does anyone know theirs?

And with all due respect to all of you who are scheduling experts on this board (but especially on this thread) are you ever going to address anything else besides the schedule? Because for YEARS we lamented "oh if we could only get a new stadium built (check), get into a better conference (check) then get someone that the fans are interested in (like SMU or Houston a Big 10/12 school) into the stadium (check) THEN we would sell-out our games and the sleeping giant would awaken".

And so to quote a well known alum of North Texas " so, hows that working for you?"

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

So, does anyone know what the alumni base is for ODO? We always claim numbers in the vicinity of 200K for the D/FW area. Does anyone know theirs?

And with all due respect to all of you who are scheduling experts on this board (but especially on this thread) are you ever going to address anything else besides the schedule? Because for YEARS we lamented "oh if we could only get a new stadium built (check), get into a better conference (check) then get someone that the fans are interested in (like SMU or Houston a Big 10/12 school) into the stadium (check) THEN we would sell-out our games and the sleeping giant would awaken".

And so to quote a well known alum of North Texas " so, hows that working for you?"

Magic bullets. They are hunting for magic bullets. Now the magic bullet seems to be to get P5 teams in Apogee, that will fix everything.

No on really wants to face the fact that the only way to build this program is to win consistently for years. Mainly because we have never done it at any level. But thems the facts.

• Upvote 3

Magic bullets. They are hunting for magic bullets. Now the magic bullet seems to be to get P5 teams in Apogee, that will fix everything.

No on really wants to face the fact that the only way to build this program is to win consistently for years. Mainly because we have never done it at any level. But thems the facts.

Bingo! You nailed it!