New UNT helmet design by 3XL

Harry

I'd be down with that. The entire helmet on each side could just be a flag. If you get what I'm saying. Haha. Although I like our current helmets.

I agree with you. Like the current but wouldn't mind seeing a battle flag version. I have always been a fan of the flag on helmet and like that it represents Texas...sort of endears us to Texans...

Dallas Morning News interviewed 5-6 of the top area recruits and they all said uniforms had no impact on their college choice.

I like the SOW. Agree with previous comment about maybe outlining it in black. My main hope is to just get something and stick with it. You want people to recognize UNT, stop changing uniforms every few years. I realize the landscape is a little different now with tricked up/different uniforms every week by some teams, but stick with the basic logo (SOW).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's one guy who won't give it up. He's obsessed. Just wait until he starts comparing the SOW to the USPS logo.

LOL! Nothing wrong with an obsession, as long as it's legal! However, I hope we NEVER use the the interlocking NT. Too generic, & SOW is 100 times better. Just my humble opinion.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I agree with you. Like the current but wouldn't mind seeing a battle flag version. I have always been a fan of the flag on helmet and like that it represents Texas...sort of endears us to Texans...

I don't think the Whorns ego would like that. After all, they think they represent the entire state.

I don't want any recruit that makes a college decision based on uniforms or helmet stickers.

They simply won't be smart enough to succeed at football at the college level, much less successful at the actual college part of college.

Edited by UNT90

I don't want any recruit tat bakes a college decision based on uniforms or helmet stickers.

They simply won't be smart enough to succeed at football at the college level, much less successful at the actual college part of college.

I think I read what you're saying....and feel most of us on here would "agree" with you....but it is a small part of today's equation.

This thread is really less about what a recruit likes, doesn't like and is he going to succeed on the field or in school and more about branding & marketing like a big boy college.

Do we want to look more like North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Baylor, Texas A&M, Texas Tech & Auburn?

or

Do we want to look more like Southern Miss, Troy, Western Kentucky, Western Michigan, Nevada & the University of Pheonix?

While I love the "NT", which reminds me of my college days in the 60's, I think todays students mind set is "UNT". The problem is that when you use initials for "directional" schools usually only the regional sports fans know who you are referring to. This limits , in my opinion, our choices to "NORTH TEXAS", or SOW.The SOW is a nice change, but are we the "EAGLES" or "MEAN GREEN"? Personally when I look at the state of our major programs "LEAN GREEN" would be more appropriate.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While I love the "NT", which reminds me of my college days in the 60's, I think todays students mind set is "UNT". The problem is that when you use initials for "directional" schools usually only the regional sports fans know who you are referring to. This limits , in my opinion, our choices to "NORTH TEXAS", or SOW.The SOW is a nice change, but are we the "EAGLES" or "MEAN GREEN"? Personally when I look at the state of our major programs "LEAN GREEN" would be more appropriate.

North Texas is known as a populous region of the state that includes the DFW area.'We should have never tried to market "North Texas" in any way, shape, or form. That Is why UNT is what the students use, that is why anything should be on the helmets besides "North Texas."

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

North Texas is known as a populous region of the state that includes the DFW area.'We should have never tried to market "North Texas" in any way, shape, or form. That Is why UNT is what the students use, that is why anything should be on the helmets besides "North Texas."

I don't understand this post. Students use "UNT" because it's shorthand for University of North Texas, just like they'll talk about their "psych" or "polysci" classes. The reason "North Texas" shouldn't be on the helmets is because it's small-time to have to tell people your university's name on your helmets.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand this post. Students use "UNT" because it's shorthand for University of North Texas, just like they'll talk about their "psych" or "polysci" classes. The reason "North Texas" shouldn't be on the helmets is because it's small-time to have to tell people your university's name on your helmets.

"Where do you go to school?"

"North Texas"

"Where at in North Texas"

"Oh... UNT"

"Oh, got it, ok."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

"North Texas"

"Oh... UNT"

"Oh, got it, ok."

I don't think I've ever had that conversation with anyone...ever. And I work for a very large company with co-wokers & clients stretched across the U.S.

If I mention I went to North Texas, I usually get: "Oh! UNT! The 'Mean Green'!" ...people like the moniker. They think it's different, but there's never any confusion on what school I attended because the region is also called North Texas.

I suppose Middle Tennessee has the same issue? Western Michigan? Central Florida? Heck, ANY directional school?

• Upvote 5

"North Texas"

"Oh... UNT"

"Oh, got it, ok."

Nope, never had that conversation. And once you move outside of a 100-mile radius of Denton (if that much), no one has any idea what "UNT" is. But most of them will at least have an idea when you say "North Texas."

• Upvote 2

"North Texas"

"Oh... UNT"

"Oh, got it, ok."

Really!?! ..that's one of the weakest 90 post.

Most anyone "who is talking college" within 400 miles knows "North Texas" & anyone outside that 400 miles doesn't care....

Your reasoning or example above is total b.s. for any directional or state named schools....Southern California, North Carolina, Western Kentucky or Western Michigan....you pick...doesn't matter.

Now schools like Tulane, Villanova, Vanderbelt & Marquette...they have other issues...non North Texas issues....like too expensive, hard to get in, my dorm doesn't have a valet and nobody knows where they're located...ha!

• Downvote 1

I suppose Middle Tennessee has the same issue? Western Michigan? Central Florida? Heck, ANY directional school?

Well, is there a huge population center that is commonly called "Middle Tennessee," "Central Florida", or "Western Michigan" by the local media of that area and the national media?

If so, then they would be stupid to try to market a name better know for a different purpose.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1

Really!?! ..that's one of the weakest 90 post.

Most anyone "who is talking college" within 400 miles knows "North Texas" & anyone outside that 400 miles doesn't care....

Your reasoning or example above is total b.s. for any directional or state named schools....Southern California, North Carolina, Western Kentucky or Western Michigan....you pick...doesn't matter.

Now schools like Tulane, Villanova, Vanderbelt & Marquette...they have other issues...non North Texas issues....like too expensive, hard to get in, my dorm doesn't have a valet and nobody knows where they're located...ha!

USC is far better identified than So. Cal.

That is really the only thing in your post that remotely compares to what we face.

And if you'll notice, nowhere on their helmet do you find "Southern Cal"

https://www.google.com/search?q=picture+of+usc+helmet&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#imgrc=fmRWdBzLlnmjoM%253A%3Bundefined%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcontent.sportslogos.net%252Flogos%252F34%252F840%252Ffull%252F4944.gif%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fpixgood.com%252Fusc-football-helmet-facemask.html%3B545%3B421

Well, is there a huge population center that is commonly called "Middle Tennessee," "Central Florida", or "Western Michigan" by the local media of that area and the national media?

If so, then they would be stupid to try to market a name better know for a different purpose.

I still don't understand what you're getting at. There is a huge population center that is commonly called "Michigan" by the local media of that area and the national media, yet that hasn't stopped the University of Michigan from marketing itself as "Michigan."

• Upvote 1