MGB: UNT's future nonconference opponents

Brett Vito

I think some people need to start liking our conference games more. We are arguing over the ooc and overlooking the fact that going to Huntington Hattiesburg Tennessee and in the future Virginia Charlotte and Miami is cool. I am looking forward to beating our CUSA brethren!

GMG

• Upvote 1

I think some people need to start liking our conference games more. We are arguing over the ooc and overlooking the fact that going to Huntington Hattiesburg Tennessee and in the future Virginia Charlotte and Miami is cool. I am looking forward to beating our CUSA brethren!

GMG

Did RV hack your account and write this?

• Upvote 1

No, nothing wrong with them every now and then. 6 years straight? Not so much. And it's not the opponent, it's the patterned lack of effort it shows by our AD dept.

People have been dying to have a regional rival on the schedule for decades. RV went out and locked SMU into a long-term series. He should receive absolutely nothing but praise for that one. It's a win-win for both universities for the foreseeable future.

If you'd have told us in 1999 that we'd someday be in a position to play Rice, La Tech, and UTEP every season, with SMU on the non-conference slate, long-term, I think most people would have been thrilled. I know I would have. And I am now.

If I was making my dream schedule, I'd add Texas State or UH to a long-term deal (or both, alternating) and call it a DAY for the next however many years of scheduling. One money game, two regional opponents, one service academy, then a respectable conference slate. Not much to complain about, there.

• Upvote 5

I agree with all 5 points, with the possible exception of the quality/names of our scheduled "sisters of the poor" opponents. An area team like SFA might be dangerous some years, but bring 'em in anyway. Same goes for some of our former regional SBC conference mates. Incarnate Word just doesn't do it for me.

Since we have played Nicholls State and are going to play Lamar, Incarnate Word, and Abilene Christain, I sense a Southland Conference theme developing.

SFA can't be far behind.

Arkansas just signed their head coach to a long extension and had a top recruiting class as well. Other than Vandy and Kentucky there is really not a team in the SEC that you typically want to face in my mind.

Arkansas wins the SEC West this year. A National Championship in the next couple of years certainly isn't out of the question. Their football machine is on the verge of full steam ahead.

• Upvote 1

If we are bent on getting a P5 Ito Apogee and we don't want a bottom half P5 (will Wake Forwst draw a bigger crowd than a regional G5?), one option might be to sign a 2-1 with a P5 and FCS at the same time and set them up where we have home games in the P5 away game years and vise versa.

This would only be worth it if you are able to bring in a name brand P5, guarantee a sellout, and charge 2-3 times normal ticket price for the game.

This would only be worth it if you are able to bring in a name brand P5, guarantee a sellout, and charge 2-3 times normal ticket price for the game.

This would make it more difficult for the game to be a sell out. I'm not against increasing the price of a ticket but not by that much. You're talking about making what might be a $20 dollar ticket in the Wingzone now $60. Odds are you'll drive away a fair portion North Texas fans.

So people are demanding we bring in a name brand P5 and only charge regular price? Wake up America.

SMU was charging 100+ to the Aggy for the privilege of watching their team stomp the donk.

I would expect a minimum of double and very likely triple. Season ticket holders should pay more as well. This would help generate the revenue to offset the lost revenue the current model generates.

You don't get something for nothing.

Insert saying about wishing in one hand and 'something' else in the other hNd and see which one fills up faster...

• Downvote 2

So people are demanding we bring in a name brand P5 and only charge regular price? Wake up America.

SMU was charging 100+ to the Aggy for the privilege of watching their team stomp the donk.

I would expect a minimum of double and very likely triple. Season ticket holders should pay more as well. This would help generate the revenue to offset the lost revenue the current model generates.

Insert saying about wishing in one hand and 'something' else in the other hNd and see which one fills up faster...

Except we were told we would when we supported the new stadium...

I wonder how much extra Ark. St. is charging for Mizzou this year?

Arkansas wins the SEC West this year. A National Championship in the next couple of years certainly isn't out of the question. Their football machine is on the verge of full steam ahead.

Not so fast my friend.

Arkansas is going to be good, but I don't see them winning the West or a national title...too much firepower and teams with better players in their own division.

Except we were told we would when we supported the new stadium...

I wonder how much extra Ark. St. is charging for Mizzou this year?

We may have been told that we would get better opponents but I doubt we were told we would pay the same price. Maybe it was assumed it would be the same price but it is not usually how it works.

I'm not saying to not raise the price of the ticket, but a 100% to 200% increase is pretty outrageous.

See, this is why I would be selling my tickets if we were to schedule a school like OSU. I feel pretty good that the game would be on TV anyway so with my tickets being on the 45 yd line I have no doubts I could sell my seats for at least face value, even if the value is at or above $100 for a single game.

Try not to be disappointed though if half the stadium is full of fans from the other team who have no problem paying that much for a ticket.

I'm not saying to not raise the price of the ticket, but a 100% to 200% increase is pretty outrageous.

See, this is why I would be selling my tickets if we were to schedule a school like OSU. I feel pretty good that the game would be on TV anyway so with my tickets being on the 45 yd line I have no doubts I could sell my seats for at least face value, even if the value is at or above $100 for a single game.

Try not to be disappointed though if half the stadium is full of fans from the other team who have no problem paying that much for a ticket.

You mean like the Houston game?

Don't be so dramatic. Ticket prices wouldn't be jacked up, at least not more than about 20%,

And I'd gladly pay the extra.

Let me ask you this. Are we getting discounted prices for the FCS games? I mean, same premise.

• Downvote 1

You mean like the Houston game?

Don't be so dramatic. Ticket prices wouldn't be jacked up, at least not more than about 20%,

And I'd gladly pay the extra.

Let me ask you this. Are we getting discounted prices for the FCS games? I mean, same premise.

I am more curious to see if season tickets will be less given we only have five home games this year.

Not so fast my friend.

Arkansas is going to be good, but I don't see them winning the West or a national title...too much firepower and teams with better players in their own division.

Let's wager shall we?

Do you have a favorite beer or whiskey? I'll go ahead and say they win the West this year.

Not so fast my friend.

They were a hair away from beating Bama and beat LSU and Ole Miss. They throttled Texas in the bowl. You're right, the SEC West is brutal but I agree with Adman they seem to be trending up and could be scary good if that coach stays there for awhile.

They run a very similar scheme as Mac likes with a power rushing game which is unlike most of the other SEC offenses.

People have been dying to have a regional rival on the schedule for decades. RV went out and locked SMU into a long-term series. He should receive absolutely nothing but praise for that one. It's a win-win for both universities for the foreseeable future.

If you'd have told us in 1999 that we'd someday be in a position to play Rice, La Tech, and UTEP every season, with SMU on the non-conference slate, long-term, I think most people would have been thrilled. I know I would have. And I am now.

If I was making my dream schedule, I'd add Texas State or UH to a long-term deal (or both, alternating) and call it a DAY for the next however many years of scheduling. One money game, two regional opponents, one service academy, then a respectable conference slate. Not much to complain about, there.

I was referring more to the Army and SMU for so many years in a row, then adding a bunch of FCS's and 5 home games. It all points to something I didn't expect with the stadium.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Since we'll be playing an FCS team regularly now, I'd really like to see RV use these games as an annual super family-friendly "cheap" option to get folks out. Give some people an affordable event to watch the Mean Green win and hopefully want to come back for some more and pay the regular price and potentially even become season ticket holders. I propose the AD use FCS games as a Mean Green Preview of sorts. Get em in the gate, give em a taste of victory, and grow the customer base

• Upvote 2

They were a hair away from beating Bama and beat LSU and Ole Miss. They throttled Texas in the bowl. You're right, the SEC West is brutal but I agree with Adman they seem to be trending up and could be scary good if that coach stays there for awhile.

They run a very similar scheme as Mac likes with a power rushing game which is unlike most of the other SEC offenses.

The SEC is a rush driven leauge. You don't run the ball, you don't win the game. Even Auburn with all of their window dressing and counter action run a ton of power while using said dressing and counter action. Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, all run the ball at a high rate and pull guards while they're doing it. It's no coincidence that those teams are the marquee teams in that conference. The bottom feeders in that conference are the ones that really try to spread you out bc they don't match up anywhere close to the LOS.

I am sure there would be some sort of break for season ticket holders, which would encourage buying a season ticket. However, instead of essentially getting a game for free, you might end up paying for all the games. However, I would not expect any sort of break for single game tickets. I would fully expect a game against a team like OSU or the unlikely UT/OU/AtM to have a minimum ticket price of $50-$60 for GA (i.e. wingzone) and more for the better seats. I would expect student tickets to a premium game to be restricted to a certain number so the program can maximize the number of tickets they can sell.

If you look at any other program, they do the same thing regarding pricing/student seating for premier opponents.