FIU Alumni Assc Prez calls for removal of AD

Harry

"In 2012-2013, there were 347 Division I programs in basketball. FIU ranked 317 in

attendance, which was last in the Sun Belt Conference. In 2013-2014, four programs

were added to Division 1. Yet, FIU ranked 265th with an average attendance of 1,474.

In comparison to other Conference USA programs, after joining the conference, FIU was

number 10 of 12 programs in terms of attendance.

All of this is an embarrassment for our beloved university. As members of the Board

of Directors for the FIU Alumni Association, we all know the great things FIU does

every day for our community. We truly are Worlds Ahead in many areas, but the

Athletic Department under the leadership of the current Athletic Director is a big

blemish on our record. University leadership has set the precedent for generations to

come on how to truly be Worlds Ahead. Earlier I spoke of the wonderful work Dr.

Pehlman is doing and how the College of Law is leading the state in important

barometers. We all know the eye-opening accomplishments of our College of Hospitality

Management, the College of Business and the College of Medicine. Our fellow alumni

are an integral part of the South Florida community and the students we are educating,

many of which are or will be our children, will be starting business, being elected to

public office, or even leading our future academic institutions of higher learning. As

President Rosenberg says at each commencement ceremony, we need to encourage all of

them to be proud of their institution, to tell their FIU story and to give back to our

university. However, it becomes extremely difficult when the most public and visible

department has been a failure. I, Frank Pena, strongly recommend that a major change

happens in the leadership of our Department of Athletics. The sooner these changes

would happen, the better.

Thank you for listening patiently.

I will now open the floor for comments or questions."

Read more: http://collegead.org/case-terminate-fiu-athletic-director-pete-garcia/

Interesting comments. After reading the full letter...note it was not on any official letterhead....and the site comments all I could think about was how did UNT90 get to become FIU's Alumni President? One must remember that the letter writer is a volunteer and is asking the full Alumni Board to support a personal opinion and position. Granted some other board members might share that view, but it is nothing more than an ask. Do we know if the Alumni Board actually endorsed the letter and sent it on under official letterhead and signature? If so, that would be pretty dramatic for an Alumni Association. Some on the FIU site indicate this sort of position is common for the proposal writer, is supported by some and not supported by others. Some even indicate the position writer has pledged funds that he has not delivered to FIU. While that may or may not be an indication of anything, I would want my pledges to be in order if I were to lead some charge claiming someone had not done what they said they would do. I think it would be most interesting to find out if the Alumni Board endorsed this position, approved the resolution and sent it forward. Perhaps Harry could back channel this and find out.

But, all I could think while reading through this whole thing was that somehow UNT90 had left the area and transferred to FIU. If not, the FIU guy and UNT90 are definitely soul mates.....or twins!

Edit: As usual, I see, a reasonable response is frowned upon. Plus...the UNT90 reference is just plain funny. You folks are sad.....no sense of humor at all. Carry on.....

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 9

FIU really screwed up when they fired their football coach, whose name I can't recall, a few years ago. He lifted their program up to new heights and respectability. He had one bad season, and they fired him and haven't been the same ever since. Even worse, I recall their coach had an offer for a coaching position from a power program that he turned down because he was committed to FIU - and then he was fired.

FIU really screwed up when they fired their football coach, whose name I can't recall, a few years ago. He lifted their program up to new heights and respectability. He had one bad season, and they fired him and haven't been the same ever since. Even worse, I recall their coach had an offer for a coaching position from a power program that he turned down because he was committed to FIU - and then he was fired.

Christibol and Rutgers? Am I close? Just going from memory here.

FIUKRAM after his body was invaded by 90/firefighter/bowler.

Now, if that were to happen, an Exorcism would definitely be in order to shed myself of the Devils within. But, they would have no chance....negative Devils have no chance to infiltrate the KRAM-ster! The Mean Green spirit gods will protect me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Christibol and Rutgers? Am I close? Just going from memory here.

I believe it was Pitt, actually, that Mario Cristobal turned down. I'm waiting for him to get another head coaching job again. What he did at FIU was borderline miraculous--and he got thanked for that by getting canned after one bad season by a new AD.

I seriously doubt if you could get our alumni association to officially condemn Jerry Sanduski, much less anyone currently employed by UNT.

Was not aware that jerry Sandusky was in any way associated with UNT. But, I would think you are correct. It is not the place of any Alumni Association to publicy try to discredit their University in any manner.

I am still wondering if the FIU Alumni Association endorsed that letter. I highly doubt it, but I guess anything is possible. Also wonder if the Alumni Association at FIU is a separate 501©(3) Corporation or a part of the FIU official university itself? Lots of questions that when/if answered might shed a bit of light on this one person's crusade at FIU and how it might go in the long run. But, from the results of my first post on the matter, I am sure some folks will not understand nor appreciate reasoned thought.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10

The Mario Cristobal firing just really made no sense at all to me. Seems like that was their jump the shark moment.

Yeah it's always weird when an AD lets a personal grudge lead him to firing a coach too early, especially when the program then struggles for years to get back to the previous level.

:ph34r:

• Upvote 3

Was not aware that jerry Sandusky was in any way associated with UNT. But, I would think you are correct. It is not the place of any Alumni Association to publicy try to discredit their University in any manner.

I am still wondering if the FIU Alumni Association endorsed that letter. I highly doubt it, but I guess anything is possible. Also wonder if the Alumni Association at FIU is a separate 501©(3) Corporation or a part of the FIU official university itself? Lots of questions that when/if answered might shed a bit of light on this one person's crusade at FIU and how it might go in the long run. But, from the results of my first post on the matter, I am sure some folks will not understand nor appreciate reasoned thought.

Disapproving of an AD is not discrediting a University. On the other hand, refusing to demand excellence and making excuses for repeated failures is certainly discrediting a University.

Edited by GreenMachine
  • Upvote 7

It is not the place of any Alumni Association to publicy try to discredit their University in any manner.

Depends on the association and what purpose it intends to serve.

If it exists as a cheerleading squad for university leadership... Nope. Never criticize. Penn State's association made two statements that I could find back when the allegations first came out, and neither had anything remotely critical to say about university leadership or their failures in separating Sandusky from the university, even after early legal actions and police investigations into his child rape on campus were known to PSU leadership.

But an association that exists to serve alumni, not the university first, can and often does come into direct conflict with the institution. Dartmouth was sued by it's alumni association back in 2007. NJIT had a similar situation around the same time. And Baylor's alumni association dedicated their entire spring issue of the alumni magazine to outlining the history and rationale behind a legal fight with Baylor University.

Baylor's alumni association makes a point of maintaining and exercising independence from the university. They are proud of it, and they use their role to maintain and promote alumni engagement. They also proudly act as a collective voice for alums in criticizing university management and decision-making when appropriate, including occasionally pointed, but respectful, criticisms of Sloan and Lilley.

My wife's a member, and I can understand why. I have a feeling that if Phil Bennett were to anally rape a series of young boys in the showers at McLane Stadium, and the Baylor president knew about it... Their alumni association wouldn't hesitate to criticize the school for failing to act.

Sure...let's compare rape with some guy with a personal vendetta against an AD. That probably works for some shallow thinkers and folks with their own agendas, but won't get too far with me.

I repeat....it is not the purpose of an Alumni Associate to attempt to discredit the university and alumni which it serves. Speaking out against rapists and such is not attempting to discredit ones university. Using the Alumni Association as one's bully pulpit to forward a personal agenda is. Thought even you might be able to discern that difference. Because it is not the place does not mean it has never happened.

Glad some folks here understand that difference. Our own Alumni Association has, in the past, had some serious differences with the University itself. At no time did the Assiciation attempt to discredit the University or any University personnel publicly. It was handled professionally as it should have been with a successful conclusion for all concerned. Since you may not have even realized it points to the professionalism with which it was handled.

But, sadly, some don't understand that actions have consequences that sometimes are not those expected or intended.

I remind everyone here who happen to be members of the UNT Alumni Association that they are more than welcome to place their names in nomination for a board position. We can always use new people willing to actually work and donate time and treasure toward the betterment of UNT. But, also know that your Alumni Board is not a bully pulpit for ones personal vendettas.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Sure...let's compare rape with some guy with a personal vendetta against an AD. That probably works for some shallow thinkers and folks with their own agendas, but won't get too far with me.

I repeat....it is not the purpose of an Alumni Associate to attempt to discredit the university and alumni which it serves. Speaking out against rapists and such is not attempting to discredit ones university.

I didn't bring up Sandusky. Someone else did (EDIT: SilverEagle did), and in response, you said that even if that had happened here, you didn't think it was the place of the alumni association to criticize or condemn in that situation.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

I didn't bring up Sandusky. Someone else did (EDIT: SilverEagle did), and in response, you said that even if that had happened here, you didn't think it was the place of the alumni association to criticize or condemn in that situation.

Nope never said that at all. Not unusual for you to completely misunderstand. Never ever said or even indicated that. Your obvious bias and trolling of everything I say is getting in the way. Not surprised.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Nope never said that at all. Not unusual for you to completely misunderstand. Never ever said or even indicated that. Your obvious bias and trolling of everything I say is getting in the way. Not surprised.

Is this a joke? Seriously, are you kidding me here?

I seriously doubt if you could get our alumni association to officially condemn Jerry Sanduski, much less anyone currently employed by UNT.