Apogee Security in Jeopardy?

10Eagle10

Similar to women's basketball coach Mike Petersen's proclamations that he had never lost a first round conference tournament game upon arriving in Denton (and then promptly going 0-2 in such games), Dan McCarney has long held up the consecutive winning seasons in Apogee mantle as a point of pride for our program. My question for you is this: will we #hit5 in 2015? With only 5 home games, there's no chance for a push...

as a bonus exercise, I ask you to rank the home games in terms of winnability.

My take:

1. Portland State - Money games should always be won by the school forking over the dough.

2. UTSA - a fifth year program replacing a boatload of starters. Until that Southern Miss debacle, Danny Mac had been undefeated at home in October and is still undefeated at home on Halloween - so there's that. Although we are 0-2 against Coker and his boys...

3. UTEP - the Mean Green is 3-1 in home finales under Mac. UTEP's strength is toting the rock. Will the front seven step up and stifle the Miner rushing attack or will we be too beat up after a bruising three game road tour?

4. WKU - I thought about putting Rice here since WKU is returning most of their squad and is the early favorite to win the East crown, but that's a long trip and the 'toppers will be coming off of Rice and MUTS while the Eagles will be rested after a, hopefully, easy win against Portland State. Plus that October home record thing listed earlier...

5. Rice - could possibly win the West. Plus that win in Houston last year was pretty thorough. I could easily flip this one with WKU.

2011 home record: 4-2

2012 home record: 3-2

2013 home record: 5-1

2014 home record: 4-2

The only probable wins are Portland State and UTSA if we get the bounces - see last year when we were a fumble recovery/bad punt return away from salting the game away.

UTEP and Rice posted pretty easy wins against us last year so unless our front seven significantly improves I can't see whatever offense we put out keeping up.

WKU is a longshot because it's a program that appears to be run right.

This will be the year Mac posts his first losing season at home unless we see something special developing over the spring/fall camps. Especially with Canales back as OC I have no faith in our offense though Mac seems confident in the defensive adds. If they're as advertised I think our defense will come back to it's lights-out 2013 level.

The only probable wins are Portland State and UTSA if we get the bounces - see last year when we were a fumble recovery/bad punt return away from salting the game away.

UTEP and Rice posted pretty easy wins against us last year so unless our front seven significantly improves I can't see whatever offense we put out keeping up.

WKU is a longshot because it's a program that appears to be run right.

This will be the year Mac posts his first losing season at home unless we see something special developing over the spring/fall camps. Especially with Canales back as OC I have no faith in our offense though Mac seems confident in the defensive adds. If they're as advertised I think our defense will come back to it's lights-out 2013 level.

UTSA lost everyone... they have a QB coming back... and then they pretty much have to replace everyone else... unless they had all-star backups that they refused to play last year, this team should be worse than the one we played in the alamodome

We should put in the University bylaws any coach that has three consecutive losses to UTSA is immediately terminated. As soon as they lose the 3rd consecutive game and the whistle blows, it plays out similar to that scene from Ghosts where the black demon come in from the shadows...

We should put in the University bylaws any coach that has three consecutive losses to UTSA is immediately terminated. As soon as they lose the 3rd consecutive game and the whistle blows, it plays out similar to that scene from Ghosts where the black demon come in from the shadows...

53665046.jpg

Here's how I see it:

1. Mrrtland State (W) If this was North Dakota State, I'd be worried. But they're 3-9 and they just lost their head coach.

2. UTSA (W) We learned what it's like to lose a bunch of seniors. It's not fun.

3. UTEP (W) I don't know... 1I shink we might be able to publ something off this year.

4. Rice (L) If they hadn't gotten killed by LA-Tech, they would have played Marshall for the title. Simce it's the 2nd week of our season, I don't think we'll quite have the hang of it yet.

5. WKU (L) They beat Marshall. In Huntington. That's not easy one bit.

But this is all last year. Maybe we'll go 14-0. Who knows...