UNT football schedule analysis

Harry

North Texas coach Dan McCarney and the Mean Green will have a tough road to travel this fall as they look to earn a bowl berth for the second time in three seasons.

North Texas announced its 2015 schedule yesterday. Its a tough slate that includes games against two Power 5 conference teams in Tennessee and Iowa, showdowns with Conference USA East Division powers Marshall and Western Kentucky and just five home games. Heres a look at the slate game-by-game:

- See more at: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/02/unt-football-schedule-analysis.html/#sthash.WPIMFjke.dpuf

First 4 games SMU, Rice, Iowa, and So Miss we need to be at least 2-2 before we even decide to try to take this season seriously.

the next game is against Port State which will get us over .500 and we can trick ourselves into thinking we can hit 6.

If for some reason we are 1-3 after the first 4, we need to immediately start planning for making a decent run in 2015. The season is over and we may only win 2 or 3 more games. Home schedule is a moot point if we are 1-3 and RV was better off taking the money this season.

Benches should be emptied to at least show recruits you can not only play early at UNT, but start. Get these young guys some reps and momentumn against P State. Get the JUCO players in there if they arent already, and maybe they can gel for 2015.

My thoughts too about the first two months of the season.

This team had better already have become bowl eligible by the end of October. I don't see us winning a game in November except maybe the finale against UTEP. If we need that win to become bowl eligible then that will be a stressful November rain. Even if we somehow are bowl eligible but limp into bowl slotting day we will stay home.

So get six before the end of October and beat UTEP.

GMG

My thoughts too about the first two months of the season.

This team had better already have become bowl eligible by the end of October. I don't see us winning a game in November except maybe the finale against UTEP. If we need that win to become bowl eligible then that will be a stressful November rain. Even if we somehow are bowl eligible but limp into bowl slotting day we will stay home.

So get six before the end of October and beat UTEP.

GMG

I don't think 6-6 gets us into a bowl next year. Ask FAU (2013) & UAB (2014) how only being 'bowl-eligible' in CUSA works. Gotta win 7. I don't see it, but then again, I didn't see it in 2013 either.

Toss ups:

Rice

So. Miss.

La. Tech.

Middle Tenn.

UTEP

Golfingomez says... 7-5

I'd like to take a look at the turnover of starters and depth at these schools, but you're saying 4 out 5 tossups could go our way? If so, I'm thinking Rice, USM, UTEP, La Tech.

I don't see how anyone could look at this schedule and predict with confidence more than one win, based on last year's results. Without a significant upgrade at QB, we'll have a hard time getting back to last year's win total.

But I agree with previous posters: This team has to jump out to a fast start and take Rice and SMU from the get-go to have any momentum going into the rest of the C-USA schedule.

La Tech and MTSU on the road are going to be very difficult -- especially if we struggle offensively..

WKU is an exceedingly tall order (despite my previous statements), but this provides a good opportunity for a big upset win at home. Their defense wasn't very good, so any improvement on offense will help our chances. Again, QB play...

I'd call UTSA and USM toss-ups.

As for Iowa and Tennessee, I'm looking forward to the road trip. Knoxville is a fine college town.

Would it be fair to say, as the QB position goes, so goes the season?

Edited by Eagle1855

I don't see how anyone could look at this schedule and predict with confidence more than one win, based on last year's results. Without a significant upgrade at QB, we'll have a hard time getting back to last year's win total.

But I agree with previous posters: This team has to jump out to a fast start and take Rice and SMU from the get-go to have any momentum going into the rest of the C-USA schedule.

La Tech and MTSU on the road are going to be very difficult -- especially if we struggle offensively..

WKU is an exceedingly tall order (despite my previous statements), but this provides a good opportunity for a big upset win at home. Their defense wasn't very good, so any improvement on offense will help our chances. Again, QB play...

I'd call UTSA and USM toss-ups.

As for Iowa and Tennessee, I'm looking forward to the road trip. Knoxville is a fine college town.

Would it be fair to say, as the QB position goes, so goes the season?

I would say so, yes... No pressure Mr.Smith.

Also, coach Cosh's defense will need to keep up, or exceed, what Skladany put in place.

The forecast for next season doesn't look good. 5 home games, 2 P5 schools, a bye week 1, a new o-line, thin D-line, no clear QB, and I'm missing a few other holes. We need some guys to step up. That many road games is outrageous. RV should be ashamed for setting the team up for failure and screwing the fans out of games. One of those home games (PS) is a joke too.

Maybe they can get it together and play in the HOD Bowl and give us a second unofficial home game after SMU. It's possible...

a new o-line, thin D-line, no clear QB, and I'm missing a few other holes. We need some guys to step up.

Heck, almost every position brings up a need or is in question going into 2015. CB, safety, LB, DLine. QB, OLine, WR, TE. But I think we made an effort in addressing each position this cycle. Whether we succeeded in finding the right guys, we'll find out this spring.

Hopefully these JUCOs make an impact, and maybe an underclassman or two step up too.

• Upvote 1

I would say so, yes... No pressure Mr.Smith.

Also, coach Cosh's defense will need to keep up, or exceed, what Skladany put in place.

the QB should have some easier games this season. Whoever it is, even if it is McNulty, can be capable of some big games.

UTSA will be replacing a corner and 2 safeties...

UTEP is replacing both corners and 2 safeties...

Rice is replacing both corners and 2 safeties...

McNulty was bad, but he went against 3 teams with veteran secondaries right there. Next year, it should be easier against these 3 opponents.

3 more games where the secondary should not be intimidating are SMU, Portland, and So Miss.

Thats half of our games where a decent QB can pull out a win. Maybe even McNulty with some improvement.

3 more games where the secondary should not be intimidating are SMU, Portland, and So Miss.

Thats half of our games where a decent QB can pull out a win. Maybe even McNulty with some improvement.

Good point. Also, WKU's secondary wasn't anything to write home about, either. They had the 117th ranked defense.

I bet WKU is top 25 when they roll into Denton. Could this be our first ever win over a top 25 since I have been following the Mean Green since 1986! It would be sweet. WKU could be the CUSA boise in 2015- that good.

GMG

• Downvote 1