UNT's schedule is out... We will not rest

Brett Vito

, on TX-OU weekend, which is one of the worst weekends to travel into or around the Metroplex.

There has been a home game on TX/OU weekend every other year since the first cowboy kicked his first turd with the very first pair of boots. But every other year, we have to point this out and how woeful we are. The same thing will happen with the game after Thanksgiving, which also happens every other year.

We certainly have a rocky road ahead of us. If this team looks anything like last year's, this could be a Hindenburg disaster on par with Todd Dodge playing LSU and Alabama every week.

That still doesn't change the realities of the calendar that happen year in and year out.

• Upvote 1

There has been a home game on TX/OU weekend every other year since the first cowboy kicked his first turd with the very first pair of boots. But every other year, we have to point this out and how woeful we are. The same thing will happen with the game after Thanksgiving, which also happens every other year.

That still doesn't change the realities of the calendar that happen year in and year out.

I don't think it's woeful to point out we are playing a garbage opponent on what is typically a busy travel weekend for the Metroplex. Just an observation.

I don't know why my pointing it out would be bothersome to you.

• Upvote 2

I don't think it's woeful to point out we are playing a garbage opponent on what is typically a busy travel weekend for the Metroplex. Just an observation.

I don't know why my pointing it out would be bothersome to you.

It's cause we're harshing his buzz. He really cares deeply about tailgating and drinking with his friends. The game is a nice add on. Those of us wanting to actually win games are just distracting from that.

And just in case you are wonder where I fall on this split: I love you all for being Mean Green fans, truly, from the bottom of my Mean Green heart... but I would personally beat everyone in this thread to death with a Brandon Kennedy bobble head to get us into another bowl game.

• Upvote 7

Great news is I can do burning man week and see the whole week through burning and all without rushing to Reno and flying to the opener all dusty. Bad news is that I see and feel 3 wins. Don't think I am going to have to leave vacation time for bowl season. It's gonna be great though going to West Virginia Knoxville and Iowa. GMG

Really hate the Sept 5th Bye week. I would rather have some momentum going into the smu game, especially with so much new talent coming in. Only five home games, not cool for building a fan base. I don't understand RV's thinking. Other than that, I think we'll have more success even with the tougher schedule.

Really hate the Sept 5th Bye week. I would rather have some momentum going into the smu game, especially with so much new talent coming in. Only five home games, not cool for building a fan base. I don't understand RV's thinking. Other than that, I think we'll have more success even with the tougher schedule.

In all honesty, if you're looking for any kind of momentum out of Portland State, look no further than the momentum Nicholls State created for the UAB game.

Rest easy, UNT will beat SMU again this year. Morris inherited a train wreck. He'll need at least a year to turn that ship around.

• Upvote 1

So much wrong with this schedule outside of the 5 home game mega issue.

Playing again on Texas-OU weekend, a bye to start the season leading to zero bye weeks. Several multi-game road trips, including a 3 gamer down the stretch that includes the real UT. Yet another hone game on Halloween night when kids want to trick or treat.

You would think that since we are getting screwed with the 5 home game thing, care would have been taken to avoid some of these other issues.

Nope.

Ok, time for a positive spin...

SMU will get smashed by Baylor and we will be scouting and watching. we will be preparing for SMU for Weeks. If SMU were smart, they would be preparing for us too instead of wasting time to beat Baylor.

4 of our first 5 games are winnable. SMU, Rice, So miss, and p state. We can actually start the season 4-1, with just a little improvement. Rice has to rebuild their whole secondary.

WKU will have an outside shot a being ranked or at least getting votes on 10/17.

• Upvote 2

Valid complaints, outside of Halloween. The crowd was pretty good, the atmosphere fun, and the students came out in droves against Rice. It's one of the only highlights of the schedule.

Going to need Rick & crew to go balls-to-the-wall for families though. The trick-or-treating last time was pretty weak. (bring the bounce house joust back though)

• Upvote 1

So much wrong with this schedule outside of the 5 home game mega issue.

Playing again on Texas-OU weekend, a bye to start the season leading to zero bye weeks. Several multi-game road trips, including a 3 gamer down the stretch that includes the real UT. Yet another hone game on Halloween night when kids want to trick or treat.

You would think that since we are getting screwed with the 5 home game thing, care would have been taken to avoid some of these other issues.

Nope.

Really bad schedule overall this season. I don't think anyone would argue with you on that.

• Upvote 1

This schedule is a result of years of bad scheduling that left us with zero flexibility to do anything else.

Don't forget, we had to buy a game to get to 5 home games.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

We had one of the easiest schedules last year and were expecting a difficult one this year.

We knew we'd get only 5 home games.

The bye situation suck, but since this season will likely be fully in the trash by Nov 1, we might

as well have all the Nov games on the road.

I've already decided to cut my MGC membership level in half and may only buy 1/3 of my

normal ticket package.

Great job RV. Oh, and since I know you'll be telling us how that SMU game is really a home one,

will my chairback be installed at Ford Stadium for the game on 9/12?

• Upvote 4

I've already decided to cut my MGC membership level in half and may only buy 1/3 of my

normal ticket package.

Great job RV. Oh, and since I know you'll be telling us how that SMU game is really a home one,

will my chairback be installed at Ford Stadium for the game on 9/12?

This type of stuff is what RV needs to see to get the message. When MGC membership is hurt maybe he will finally listen. I honestly would be less angry if we got a "Hey guys, I screwed up. I wanted to set us up for a favorable schedule down the road and this year I just dropped the ball," or something along those lines. Saying SMU is a home game so stop your wining is a slap in the face.

• Upvote 3

There should be a rule against an unbalanced schedule. Every effing sports league in the free world has rules in place to guard against competitive advantages EXCEPT for the NCAA. They don't give a rat's furry ask about that. It really ruins college football for me. I'm glad we spent all that money building a beautiful new stadium just to play 5 games in it.

Rick Villarreal couldn't be fired fast enough in my opinion. We need an AD that will protect our interests and work to build a stronger local fanbase.

I'm going to mail him a box of spiders.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Yet another hone game on Halloween night when kids want to trick or treat.

First off, that is a conference game, so RV doesn't really get to pick. I doubt most of the others in the conference want to play on Halloween either, so we drew the short straw just like half of the conference did. Second, do we even know that it is a night game?

This type of stuff is what RV needs to see to get the message. When MGC membership is hurt maybe he will finally listen. I honestly would be less angry if we got a "Hey guys, I screwed up. I wanted to set us up for a favorable schedule down the road and this year I just dropped the ball," or something along those lines. Saying SMU is a home game so stop your wining is a slap in the face.

I don't think I've once ever heard him say anything of the sort. This is posturing.

IF he does come out and say that, then obviously we would expect the tickets to be 'included' in our season ticket package that we're paying for... and even then, that's really lame.

I doubt he'll ever say this, take the kick in the teeth, and move on.

• Upvote 2