UNT's schedule is out... We will not rest

Brett Vito

If that day ever came to pass I might have to wear my Gators colors and drink out of a Mean Green coozy while reveling in watching both teams and praying no one gets hurt. No promises, but I would probably end up cheering on every play no matter what happened.

But this makes you a terrible humanoid, no?

Regarding scheduling, every single head coach of a D1 program/sport has a say in their schedule, SERIOUSLY! If you don't know this, then you even come close to knowing how an athletic department works.

Is anything RV's responsibility with you people?

It's no wonder this program has sucked for soooo long.

I find it highly humorous that several shills on this forum are now trumpeting Macs involvement in the schedule when that was NEVER discussed prior to Mac being trotted out to defend RV after the schedule was released and actually commenting on the schedule BEFORE RV.

Is there an AD talking points memo that I can subscribe to? Lol.

Edited by UNT90

90, quit reading what you want into a post or twisting them to meet your agenda. I didn't say the coaches controlled scheduling, I said they are involved in the process. Your ongoing agenda has clouded any kind of reasoning. Case in point, when Snyder arrived at KSU, they dumbed down their OOC scheduling. I also never, ever said RV was faultless in any of this. Again, that is just something you choose to read. I am far from a shill or a cheerleader for RV, but be fair in your assessments and at least try to understand what in the hell you are talking about instead of attempting to come across as all knowing of everything.

– I have been asked repeatedly (and justifiably so) about UNT’s schedule for the next few years in football in the wake of the release of this season’s slate. I have talked to multiple people and have been told that I should be able to get the information on the Mean Green’s nonconference games for the next few years shortly. Several of those games have been in place for a while.

courtesy of Brett Vito:

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/02/monday-afternoon-notes-unt-football-schedule-hoops-notes.html/

Edited by 10Eagle10
  • Upvote 1

I am far from all knowing, but what I do know is the reasons we were given for this schedule occurring are plain hogwash.

I also know that you were one that said wait and trust the AD and they will get it right, even after what happened in 2012. And I know that you and some others are now trying to say Mac had a hand in the schedule when you never mentioned that before this schedule came out and Mac was trotted out to make the first public comment.

I also know you have paid very little attention to when games were scheduled, what the schedule looked like before we were forced to buy 4 home games in four years, and the schedules of our peer institutions.

That is a common theme for those telling everyone this really isn't so bad, when the fact is this is a culmination of terrible scheduling decisions for the better part of a decade. It has nothing to do with a cancelled Tulsa series.

• Upvote 2

Let me simplify this.

1) The diehards aren't the problem.

2) The problem is that there are too many alumns who never become diehards, who never even go to one game.

3) How do you get these non diehards in here? Win games.

Therefore: We should schedule home and away to win games.

I am upset with this schedule for two THREE, THREE REASONS AH AH AH:

1) Playing a one and done on the road vs P5 teams does not lead to wins. I can live with having to have one every year, I would prefer one every few years, but having two in one year is a huge failure.

2) Playing at home does lead to wins. I want to see six home games a year, maybe seven if we host the conf championship. Scheduling five home games 2 out of 4 years is a failure of the highest order.

3) The BYE is an important time to heal and implement system tweaks, having it the first week? Fail.

It doesn't matter who you beat as long as you do it consistently. Schedule wins. People will notice if we consistently win 8+ games a year. They won't care that you beat 4 fcs teams in 4 years to do it. Just win.

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 2

Let me simplify this.

1) The diehards aren't the problem.

2) The problem is that there are too many alumns who never become diehards, who never even go to one game.

3) How do you get these non diehards in here? Win games.

Therefore: We should schedule home and away to win games.

I am upset with this schedule for two THREE, THREE REASONS AH AH AH:

1) Playing a one and done on the road vs P5 teams does not lead to wins. I can live with having to have one every year, I would prefer one every few years, but having two in one year is a huge failure.

2) Playing at home does lead to wins. I want to see six home games a year, maybe seven if we host the conf championship. Scheduling five home games 2 out of 4 years is a failure of the highest order.

3) The BYE is an important time to heal and implement system tweaks, having it the first week? Fail.

It doesn't matter who you beat as long as you do it consistently. Schedule wins. People will notice if we consistently win 8+ games a year. They won't care that you beat 4 fcs teams in 4 years to do it. Just win.

2001 - 2004 disagrees with you.

And they disagree with you STRONGLY.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1

2001 - 2004 disagrees with you.

And they disagree with you STRONGLY.

Half the people who are diehards now are diehards because of that bowl run. We were on local tv all the time, made SI and ESPN the magazine, got talked about (even if dismissively) by the bowl shows.

Before the bowl run we were SERIOUSLY worried about how to hit 15k in attendance, because that was going to be the supposed cutoff. Now we're complaining about not being able to average 25k.

Make no mistake without that bowl run there is no new stadium, we are still in the SBC, and with oncoming stipend situation there would be real discussion about playing at the FBS level.

• Upvote 3

Half the people who are diehards now are diehards because of that bowl run. We were on local tv all the time, made SI and ESPN the magazine, got talked about (even if dismissively) by the bowl shows.

Before the bowl run we were SERIOUSLY worried about how to hit 15k in attendance, because that was going to be the supposed cutoff. Now we're complaining about not being able to average 25k.

Make no mistake without that bowl run there is no new stadium, we are still in the SBC, and with oncoming stipend situation there would be real discussion about playing at the FBS level.

If we want to take the next logical step and average over 20k consistently, we have to do things much differently than we have.

So winning against crap competition brought us 5k more in average attendance AFTER the new stadium was built AND we moved to a better conference.

But you don't think even AFTER the new stadium is built AND we move to a new conference that we should bring in quality opponents? Even after a selling point of the new stadium was better quality home games? Something we have yet to see, by the way.

Beating FCS's is not going to impress the fan base. Having a team like last year's team and beating a Big 12 or SEC team at home would have cemented fans for years to come. Instead we got Idaho.

Lets play a game. And this is for everybody. Please complete the follow sentence as if you were talking with another UNT alumni:

"Hey, you remember that time when we had that great team that beat ________."

UNT alumni answers to this question pale in comparison to just about any other FBS team out there. And it isn't going to improve by going on the road for our yearly and sometimes twice yearly ass beating by a P5.

"Hey, you remember that time when we had that great team that beat ________."

I don't want to pull a "I've been a fan longer than you" card here, so don't take it that way:

I am guessing you where not a fan when we where in the Big West with Boise St. BSU didn't get to where they are immediately. They spent a lot of time beating up the bottom of the FBS and the FCS before they beat OU with the statue of liberty play.

We have one winning season in the last ten years. To go from that state of the program to beating Tennessee at home is too big of a step. The first thing we have to do is win consistently. It won't matter to recruits or the non diehards that we beat Texas Southern or ULM or Idaho.

I think you can see this logic. I also believe you see the scheduling issue as some sort of wedge you can use to remove RV.

• Upvote 1

I don't want to pull a "I've been a fan longer than you" card here, so don't take it that way:

I am guessing you where not a fan when we where in the Big West with Boise St. BSU didn't get to where they are immediately. They spent a lot of time beating up the bottom of the FBS and the FCS before they beat OU with the statue of liberty play.

We have one winning season in the last ten years. To go from that state of the program to beating Tennessee at home is too big of a step. The first thing we have to do is win consistently. It won't matter to recruits or the non diehards that we beat Texas Southern or ULM or Idaho.

I think you can see this logic. I also believe you see the scheduling issue as some sort of wedge you can use to remove RV.

That's fine and dandy, but what year are we talking about, 202something. We are not going to schedule anything for a few seasons out (right now).

Are you saying you have no confidence we will have a good team 5 years from now?

Lol. Ya, I have the power "remove RV."

The problem is the perception of this program with its own alumni. Playing crap at home indicates that UNT is still a crap program, win or lose.

Boise St. became Boise St. when they beat a major program, and not before. This isn't the NFL. Programs at our level wax and wane. We have mainly waned. If you are waiting for 5 winning years in a row to schedule a P5 at home, chances are that never comes. Plus, games are scheduled so far in advance at this point that you have to trust that you have the right coach in place and roll those dice.

Or you can do what has work soooo well for soooo many years at UNT.

And you still haven't answered that question.

And the main problem with your argument is that we play a P5 every year on the road that has been an automatic loss for this program forever. So are you saying as long as we get our whore money that losing is ok?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If I had asked you this question in 2010 what would have been your answer?

No fricking way.

Beating a "bigger" program is far more likely at home than on the road.

Like I've already said having a patsy come in a get kicked around isn't a bad thing, but beating a (more) meaningful should be on the list of goals. That is far more likely to happen in Apogee than anywhere else.

So what is your answer? Now, but feel free to answer 2010 too.

Edited by Army of Dad

If history is either 1) an indicator for future results or 2) repeats itself, then scheduling 3-6 years out might set us up for success in terms of besting a big name program at home. In Coach Mac's 12 years at Iowa State, his best year was year 6 and his other non-losing seasons were years 7, 8, 10, and 11.

In 16 years as a head coach, Mac has #hit6 six times...