UNT's schedule is out... We will not rest

Brett Vito

FYI: Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Arizona are all 2-for-1 deals. Arizona State, Houston, and New Mexico were all home-and-home games. Oddly enough UTSA, for whatever reason, agreed to play the Aggies twice ... both times in College Station.

Regarding the Arizona game, typically you pay for the other team's travel expenses. So paying Arizona $50,000 less than we paid Idaho is not that big a deal.

If we want to play the big boys you need to schedule 2-for-1 deals. RV has said he against those types of agreements and so getting home-and-home games with P5 schools is much more challenging.

Nothing but poor excuses. But we are North Texas, so....

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

sneaking-mounts.jpg

To be fair, I gained a lot of the notoriety and crap from when I was 18. I make no excuses for being an idiot online, I was just young and passionate.

I still get into spats on Twitter, but I have tried considerably to change over the years, as I got older.

I occasionally posted on it still once I started FillApogee as recently as last year, but decided to start new because I created a lot of enemies under that old name.

perhaps you can truly show penance by giving us the three names we so desire.

2016:

2017:

2019:

if you won't give us the names, how about some helpful hints? You can even make them as obscure as you'd like - we have some pretty talented sleuths around here...

• Upvote 4

And what Fly should realize is we NEED to schedule name opponents to show OUR OWN ALUMNI that this isn't the same UNT football program that they have either ignored or made fun of for the past umpteen years.

Scheduling+winning is the only way to accomplish this goal.

So we open the season with said "name" opponent. Pick your poison, say Okie State. And Okie State is having one of those cyclical great years where they are better than OU and in the top 10-25 in the country... They come in to a packed Apogee house and skull crush us... I mean it is over in the 2nd quarter. You know, sort of like the UT game last year (21-0 at half; 38-7 at end)...

*ahem* my point is, that despite your pleadings, I don't think you will be on here singing RV or Mack praises after that drubbing despite them granting your wishes and bringing in a "name"... And I also don't think the fans in the stands will enjoy it very much. The OSU fans will... but our students, the ones who don't follow this nearly as closely as you do, by-in-large will walk away disappointed because we got beat. We got beat bad. And you know a lot of the stadium was orange not green, especially in the 2nd half...

Now, I used to be like you. In fact as recently as after the bowl I felt like we were a program that was not going to get embarrassed again. But last season exposed me to the reality that we are not a very good program right now. Good programs don't crap the bed after a 9-4 season. I hope in 4-5 years we are a good program that can hold their own against anyone but the remains to be seen.

Your points about the 5-games are valid and I think most if not all on here agree with you. And I would like to get some more name opponents in here as well. The problem is that the name opponents who could realistically could help us fill the stadium would probably kick our butt. And I don't know if that is a good thing for a program that is (gasp) rebuilding again. We've already proven that middle of the road teams like Houston will not travel many fans. Heckfire, SMU didn't bring maybe 200 of their fans/wasps last year! So please share with us the "name" opponents who will fill up Apogee that we have a decent chance to be competitive with given where the program is right now. I would like to see that list. There may be one or two but it is not very long. I also think you discount the positive effect of having the C-USA schedule as opposed to the Belt and also the 20-year home and home schedule with SMU...

PS. I do think another flaw in your argument is that you always blame RV and you don't take into account that Mac has a lot of say in the scheduling... believe me Mac doesn't want to get beat bad early in the season either.

So going on the road where beating P5s has been historically IMPOSSIBLE for UNT is the better answer? Really? That is just straight up whoring.

If you think alums and students don't see the road skull crushing scores you are fooling yourself. Of course they do, and they see that UNT is again traveling to Alabama for a blood letting. Same ole UNT.

Now, say an Oklahoma St does come to Apogee. Say that would have happened in 2013. Or say we played Georgia at home last year.

WOULD WE HAVE A BETTER CHANCE TO WIN THAT GAME AT HOME?

All you have to do is look at Mac's home and road record to know the answer.

And alumni would marvel at the fact that we finally figured out how to get "a real team" to Apogee. See the 2010 K St. Game as an example.

So when you are saying you don't want to play a P5 team at home, realize that what you are actually saying is you aren't willing to take a chance at a program defining win that this university has NEVER had.

And Mac is RV's freaking employee, Harry. This is a typical tact taken by those who defend RV. Stevens was Gretchen's hire. The Dickey buyout forced RV to hire Dodge. Yada yada yada.

RV IS RESPONSIBLE FOR DOING HIS FREAKING JOB. No one else.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4

So we open the season with said "name" opponent. Pick your poison, say Okie State. And Okie State is having one of those cyclical great years where they are better than OU and in the top 10-25 in the country... They come in to a packed Apogee house and skull crush us... I mean it is over in the 2nd quarter. You know, sort of like the UT game last year (21-0 at half; 38-7 at end)...

*ahem* my point is, that despite your pleadings, I don't think you will be on here singing RV or Mack praises after that drubbing despite them granting your wishes and bringing in a "name"... And I also don't think the fans in the stands will enjoy it very much. The OSU fans will... but our students, the ones who don't follow this nearly as closely as you do, by-in-large will walk away disappointed because we got beat. We got beat bad. And you know a lot of the stadium was orange not green, especially in the 2nd half...

Now, I used to be like you. In fact as recently as after the bowl I felt like we were a program that was not going to get embarrassed again. But last season exposed me to the reality that we are not a very good program right now. Good programs don't crap the bed after a 9-4 season. I hope in 4-5 years we are a good program that can hold their own against anyone but the remains to be seen.

Your points about the 5-games are valid and I think most if not all on here agree with you. And I would like to get some more name opponents in here as well. The problem is that the name opponents who could realistically could help us fill the stadium would probably kick our butt. And I don't know if that is a good thing for a program that is (gasp) rebuilding again. We've already proven that middle of the road teams like Houston will not travel many fans. Heckfire, SMU didn't bring maybe 200 of their fans/wasps last year! So please share with us the "name" opponents who will fill up Apogee that we have a decent chance to be competitive with given where the program is right now. I would like to see that list. There may be one or two but it is not very long. I also think you discount the positive effect of having the C-USA schedule as opposed to the Belt and also the 20-year home and home schedule with SMU...

PS. I do think another flaw in your argument is that you always blame RV and you don't take into account that Mac has a lot of say in the scheduling... believe me Mac doesn't want to get beat bad early in the season either.

I also don't think Mac likes a week 1 bye and only 5 home games.

I couldn't care less about how many fans another school brings. What I do care about is us bringing in teams that will give us respectability if we beat them. There are plenty of lower tier P4 schools and good G5 schools that would fit the bill. And what pisses me off is that RV said we should expect these type of schools at Apogee.

No one should be wanting us to bring in UT, A&M, Tech, OU, OSU and even TCU right now. But what about Kansas, Iowa St, Colorado, Virginia, Cincy? I like the SMU and Army series', but if they're are marquee home OOC game every year that is unacceptable.

• Upvote 2

It's inexcusable and Tulsa has nothing to do with it. It's a bullshit scapegoat is what Tulsa is. Playing at 2 P5 programs (pretty good ones at that) and having 5 home games in the same year is absolutely inexcusable. Sorry for the language, but how the fuck this shit flys around here is beyond belief. This dude should be packing his bags. It's pitiful. Oh and people give unearned credit to RV. That stadium was not his doings, granted he grabbed the batan and ran with it and of course takes absolute credit for it.

The University of North Texas needs an aggressive, innovative AD put in place immediately. RV's time here has elapsed.

Great post! The week one bye is the icing on the cake. The players need a bye to heal up and rest. Oh well.
  • Upvote 1

I'd rather get skull crushed at home by Ok State than lose at home by 1 to a start up in their transitional FBS season.

Rick

I've not gone to an away money game since 2007 when we played Arkansas in Fayetteville. I was living in NW Arkansas at the time so it was a nice 30 minute drive down (what is now) I-49 to see us get walloped 66-7. Why bring that level of carnage to Apogee?

Some people's pursuit of their white whale is causing them to lose sight of the forest for the trees.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 3

I've not gone to an away money game since 2007(?) when we played Arkansas in Fayetteville. I was living in NW Arkansas at the time so it was a nice 30 minute drive down (what is now) I-49 to see us get walloped 66-7. Why bring that level of carnage to Apogee?

Some people's pursuit of their white whale is causing them to lose sight of the forest for the trees.

Think small, live small.

I mean, it's work that way for UNT it's entire existence, so why change, right?

Right?

• Downvote 2

I also don't think Mac likes a week 1 bye and only 5 home games.

I couldn't care less about how many fans another school brings. What I do care about is us bringing in teams that will give us respectability if we beat them. There are plenty of lower tier P4 schools and good G5 schools that would fit the bill. And what pisses me off is that RV said we should expect these type of schools at Apogee.

No one should be wanting us to bring in UT, A&M, Tech, OU, OSU and even TCU right now. But what about Kansas, Iowa St, Colorado, Virginia, Cincy? I like the SMU and Army series', but if they're are marquee home OOC game every year that is unacceptable.

I'm probably missing a couple of possibilities, but we should be begging to schedule home & homes with Illinois, Iowa State, Kansas, Vandy, Washington State, Kentucky, Maryland, Indiana (we won one!), Northwestern, Minnesota, Purdue, Virginia, or Duke for our annual P-5 "body bag" game(s), or we shouldn't be scheduling any of them at all. I'm probably OK with TCU/Baylor/Tech if they're willing because we might get lucky and catch them down, but history is just not on our side with the teams we've been scheduling for the last few decades. Getting crushed in these money games against perennial top ten teams every year is getting old.

• Upvote 1

Think small, live small.

I mean, it's work that way for UNT it's entire existence, so why change, right?

Right?

Why schedule for failure, right? If we're going to do that, I'd rather play Oklahoma State as a one-and-down -- the program gets a fat check, and I save myself on travel expenses. If we schedule OSU for a home game knowing that OSU is on fire and that we don't have a fireball's chance in hell to win, why should I not make a profit and sell my tickets to an OSU fan for perhaps twice their face value??? Call me a bad fan but I'm not the least bit interested in watching a ******* massacre in Apogee. You might be but I AM NOT.

You are welcome to your white whale but I will not be on the ship when it sinks that night.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I've not gone to an away money game since 2007 when we played Arkansas in Fayetteville. I was living in NW Arkansas at the time so it was a nice 30 minute drive down (what is now) I-49 to see us get walloped 66-7. Why bring that level of carnage to Apogee?

Well I drove 14 hours to Georgia and watched us make them shit their pants for 3 quarters, and leaving out of the stadium with Bulldog fans giving the team huge props of respect.

You can't be a puss and succeed at football, or really at anything for that matter. You gotta nut up and take the chance and schedule these teams to beat them, and the best chance is at home.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well I drove 14 hours to Georgia and watched us make them shit their pants for 3 quarters, and leaving out of the stadium with Bulldog fans giving the team huge props of respect.

You can't be a puss and succeed at football, or really at anything for that matter. You gotta nut up and take the chance and schedule these teams to beat them, and the best chance is at home.

Rick

Didn't we have a coach call these kinds of games "opportunity games"? What was his name again and how'd that work out for us?

Didn't we have a coach call these kinds of games "opportunity games"? What was his name again and how'd that work out for us?

They ARE opportunity games and every coach who has ever stepped on a field not named Dickey has thought of them that way. Not sure what your point is other than to suggest we puss out in trying to bring in a name opponent to Denton?

We're talking football here. Not what color heels to wear to Burning Man 2015.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why schedule for failure, right? If we're going to do that, I'd rather play Oklahoma State as a one-and-down -- the program gets a fat check, and I save myself on travel expenses. If we schedule OSU for a home game knowing that OSU is on fire and that we don't have a fireball's chance in hell to win, why should I not make a profit and sell my tickets to an OSU fan for perhaps twice their face value??? Call me a bad fan but I'm not the least bit interested in watching a ******* massacre in Apogee. You might be but I AM NOT.

You are welcome to your white whale but I will not be on the ship when it sinks that night.

And this is the reason that UNT has been terrible for years. We are perfectly fine being terrible.

You would rather whore out the team and put the players in a position to fail.

I would rather have a big home crowd that could help influence the outcome, and maybe, just maybe, catch fire and pull an upset that this school has never seen.

Because we always play the whore.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

So we open the season with said "name" opponent. .

You're right every P5 has a game against BYE. We just happen to open the season with them. :thumbsu:

My view on scheduling at home is a little different. I don't know that we always need a game against the p5, but I would sure love to see a 6 game slate filled out with the likes of Colorado St., UNLV, Texas St., New Mexico, Tulsa, ULALA, Ark. St., etc.

• Upvote 2