UNT's schedule is out... We will not rest

Brett Vito

I agree that it is not the best situation, but you make the most of your opportunities. The SMU game could be REALLY fun. We should make it like an event and try to attract some of the Heart of Dallas crowd that won't make it to Denton. I am really looking forward to that game being in Dallas and think we could have a huge crowd.

I love the C-USA opponents coming to Apogee as well and I think the East games will be fun. On the East side I am really looking forward to playing Marshall.

JJ was a positive.

Aston was a 1 year coach here that produced a .500 record. Period. The fact that she is doing well at Texas indicates that she MAY have done well here. She has a lot of assets at her disposal at UT, including a different AD.

There are other positives, such as facilities.

What bothers me more than the actual schedule is the continued lies about the schedule and the refusal to take accountability for anything.

Benford a bad hire? Nope, it's the player's fault. The same players that were fine the year before under JJ

5 game home schedule? Don't comment on it until after it is released and after you put your head football coach on the block to ease your own responsibility. And then when you do comment on it, you don't take ownership, but instead lie to the fans about the cause of the problem.

No one is saying there aren't positives, but for me the negatives have overtaken the positives. When that happens, it's time to go in a new direction.

Also, this is a thread about the schedule, which is why all we are talking about is SCHEDULE, SCHEDULE, SCHEDULE.

I agree with all of these things in bold.

I disagree with you regarding the things in italics.

The item in the underlines I am cautious of, but undecided on.

But all of that's okay. Or at least, I think it's okay. Because go mean green.

I agree that it is not the best situation, but you make the most of your opportunities. The SMU game could be REALLY fun. We should make it like an event and try to attract some of the Heart of Dallas crowd that won't make it to Denton. I am really looking forward to that game being in Dallas and think we could have a huge crowd.

I love the C-USA opponents coming to Apogee as well and I think the East games will be fun. On the East side I am really looking forward to playing Marshall.

Yeah, let's make like a bunch of Texans fans traveling to a Cowboys game and force the home team into a silent count.

C'mon Emmitt,

Did the acquisition of the LC campus include the Football stadium? Soccer complex? Softball stadium? Tennis complex (albeit incomplete)? Athletics Center?

Reality: We got 2 gyms: V-ball & B-ball practice facility, both requiring some extensive/expensive renovations (just ask Ernie), an indoor batting cage, an indoor golf range, some offices & land for the soccer, softball & eventual baseball stadiums.

As for the University taking the golf course back... I don't know, but I bet he spearheaded that with the plans of an Athletic Complex.

We've already covered the football stadium...thanks UNTFlyer

Soccer stadium? Existing LC football stadium.

Volleyball arena? Existing LC basketball gym.

Tennis complex? How's that center court coming along?

But let's not let facts stand in the way of pre-writing RV's HOF introductions.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Good grief! Just about every single one of my posts in this thread mentions props to Flyer.

His and the SGA's efforts don't get enough recognition outside this board.

Rick and the AD's efforts apparently don't get enough recognition inside this board.

There was nothing "stealth" about what Flyer was doing. He was making signs with facts and putting them up all over campus. He was writing opinion articles in the NT Daily (and even the DRC, I think?), combating idiots in any and every comments section of any story regarding the fee. He was VERY public. If anyone was "stealth", it was Rick & crew.

The bolded part is the best thing he did to get that stadium...thank you for agreeing with my original point (a few pages after arguing against it). I'll just never fall into the "it happened on his watch so he deserves credit" crowd...not when there are so many things that he is DIRECTLY responsible for that have been abject failures or half-assed.

Under Tiberius' rule Rome saw great growth*

*Let's not dwell on that whole Jesus thing

Edited by emmitt01

46819722.jpg

... before someone writes his HOF introductions.

• Upvote 1

And how do you know this? Were you privy to "inside" info from either the athletic dept or the SGA's planning meetings? I'm sure the athletic department provided the SGA with some info and stats, but they (the SGA) did all the work. And for their efforts they got NO PERMANENT RECOGNITION. And thanks to this thread they get to have their efforts marginalized by fellow North Texas graduates. Carry on minions of RV.

Only at North Texas. :glare:

You there on the inside Silver? Your sure the SGA did all the work because you were there?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Someone asked previously how P5's fare with scheduling from year-to-year and I just noticed this. SEC has released their schedules already.

Texas A&M's 2015 Schedule features:

3 true road games;

7 home games @ Kyle Field;

and 2 favorable neutral site games @ Houston and @ AT&T stadium, both in areas with large fan population.

LCS please and thanks!

• Upvote 1

Wishful thinking, what CUSA Championships have we won and advanced to national championships?

Women's soccer were C-USA champs last year and were finalists the year before. Got bounced in the national tournament after a tough game when our all-American, all-Conference goalkeeper was knocked out of the game with a pretty serious cheek/face injury.

Softball played solidly though I can't remember off-hand how their season ended but I know they set records for wins.

Women's soccer were C-USA champs last year and were finalists the year before. Got bounced in the national tournament after a tough game when our all-American, all-Conference goalkeeper was knocked out of the game with a pretty serious cheek/face injury.

Softball played solidly though I can't remember off-hand how their season ended but I know they set records for wins.

Close but not quite.

Soccer were regular season champs (co-champs I think) and were knocked out in the final of the CUSA tourney after Jackie Kerestine was knocked out of the game.

As far as the schedule goes, I would be just fine with 5 game schedules--if it meant that the one OOC game was a stronger home opponent than SMU or Army. ULM--I cannot believe I have to go down this low for a comparison--has had several 5 games home schedules, but have hosted Baylor and Wake Forest in Monroe. Baylor is greater than SMU, Wake Forest is greater than Army--its that simple.

For RV, his job was done for scheduling with getting the SMU and Army series done for a long term. He got the program that UNT fans wanted (shaking my head) to play in SMU for a long series--not realizing just how much better this is for SMU than us, since we actually will bring a few thousand fans (or more) to Dallas, while they bring about a 100 or so to Denton. This isn't even counting the fact that SMU sucks so bad right now that they will buy this sucker out as soon as we win another game or two in the series. Their money will rescue them if the team cannot do it. Think about that for a second--if Tulsa leaving CUSA got us Idaho and Portland State, what the hell would a series that gets cancelled by SMU bring us in OOC games in Denton to replace them? We would either be playing more Texas Southerns, Incarnate Words, Nicholls States, etc...or we will just schedule out another P5 road game.

And as far as RV goes, his biggest pluses, in no particular order, are as follows:

1.) Opened up tailgating for football games--the fact that no one before him felt that a football team in Texas on a Saturday might like this idea absolutely tells you just how low of a bar RV has had to jump to be the best AD we've ever had.

2.) He stays within the budget that the BOR gives him--number one priority at UNT, without complaining. He can stay here for another 15 years if he wants, just as long as he stays within that budget.

3.) Extended Johnny Jones twice.

4.) Hasn't resorted to playing most OOC games at other p5 giants, like Helwig did in both football and basketball.

5.) He's very likeable and accessible, at least compared to many other ADs at other schools.

To me, his minuses, which are glaring, are:

1.) Poor hires and extensions in the money sports--Dickey (the 2nd time, when no one was even attempting to hire him away), Dodge, McCarney's recent 5 year extension that looks way too long, Shanice Stephens, Tony Benford, and Rick Petersen. The record of the three sports that people actually might pay to watch is just abysmal under his watch...

2.) His revenue sports scheduling is beyond pathetic, even if he gives us a home game or two in football that Helwig wouldn't have done. In mens hoops, we get about one team a year in OOC that is worth trying to sell to others to come watch, like Creighton this year. Otherwise, Northwood, Langston, Houston Baptist, PVA&M, etc...dot the schedule as the usual type opponents we get to an arena that could easily hold a decent crowd for marquee opponents.

3.) Blames players in public for being the culprit of the team's woes, which just throws more gas on the fire for the recruiting issues we already deal with here at UNT.

4.) He knows that all he has to do to keep his job is to stay in budget--winning and losing don't matter at all to his job status. He literally does the bare minimum needed to keep his job, which is detrimental to the programs ever gaining much popularity here.

• Upvote 1

You there on the inside Silver? Your sure the SGA did all the work because you were there?

We all have love for UNT…..but it must get harder and harder to find different ways to defend this administration…..

If someone were to put RV's hits and misses down on paper, sure there are a few positives.

However, put that list next to other ADs that have enjoyed his tenure. I wonder if those "hits" stack up. How about the misses?

No offense, and I'd rather us win in those sports than lose, but nobody cares about either of those sports, except for the friends and family of the players. If you have to prop up an ADs job performance (not saying you are, BTW) by trumpeting soccer, softball, tennis, golf, track, etc...well, that tells you all you need to know.

At other schools in the country, if you cannot win at one of the big 4 sports, football, mens hoops, womens hoops, or baseball, you aren't gonna stick around as the AD for very long. But here, you keep your job for 15 years, receiving numerous extensions. Look, its not just athletics, either. Lee Jackson got extended AFTER the accounting fiasco that still totally hamstrings the entire university from knowing what they can budget for as we move forward. The BOR here literally looks at the cheapest path forward on everything--tuition, budgets, capital expenditures, etc..."value" is all they care about.

Edited by untjim1995

No offense, and I'd rather us win in those sports than lose, but nobody cares about either of those sports, except for the friends and family of the players. If you have to prop up an ADs job performance (not saying you are, BTW) by trumpeting soccer, softball, tennis, golf, track, etc...well, that tells you all you need to know.

At other schools in the country, if you cannot win at one of the big 4 sports, football, mens hoops, womens hoops, or baseball, you aren't gonna stick around as the AD for very long. But here, you keep your job for 15 years, receiving numerous extensions. Look, its not just athletics, either. Lee Jackson got extended AFTER the accounting fiasco that still totally hamstrings the entire university from knowing what they can budget for as we move forward. The BOR here literally looks at the cheapest path forward on everything--tuition, budgets, capital expenditures, etc..."value" is all they care about.

For the record, I think RV has taken UNT as far as he can with the restrictions (self-imposed or otherwise) he's had. His record of coaching hires in revenue sports is disappointing and his hodge-podge of a marketing campaign to get more fans involved is weak. His strengths are related to the explosion of facilities for athletics, and while some can argue they've fallen into his lap he's still the athletic guy who has to sign off on them. For comparison, it's like blaming the sitting president for a bad economy or praising him for a good economy. Sure, he can help or hinder but ultimately it's out of his hands.

I highlighted soccer and softball in response to a previous poster asking how UNT did in non-revenue sports.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Nope,But what I saw on the outside (his/their articles in the NTDaily, DRC, and posts on GMG) were enough for me. But what I DO know is that one of our own (you know, a NT alum?) got it done and a few years earlier RV failed miserably. To try and marginalize what Flyer and his colleagues did is typical of RV's minions. In this case, I choose to believe and be supportive of my NT brethren.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nope,But what I saw on the outside (his/their articles in the NTDaily, DRC, and posts on GMG) were enough for me. But what I DO know is that one of our own (you know, a NT alum?) got it done and a few years earlier RV failed miserably. To try and marginalize what Flyer and his colleagues did is typical of RV's minions. In this case, I choose to believe and be supportive of my NT brethren.

Hmmm. Say what you want. I was not discrediting or supporting anyone...unlike you...you admit you were not there. SO fact is...you don't know the roles everyone played. I am guessing it is somewhere in the middle, you you seem so biased to one position it's hard for you to see that. No problem...enjoy your position of discrediting folks and pumping up others...since you were not there and all. Bias is tough to break through as you clearly reflect, but, you are definitely not alone in your bias.

The truth will forever be speculated upon by those who were not there. Fun and games continue.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hmmm. Say what you want. I was not discrediting or supporting anyone...unlike you...you admit you were not there. SO fact is...you don't know the roles everyone played. I am guessing it is somewhere in the middle, you you seem so biased to one position it's hard for you to see that. No problem...enjoy your position of discrediting folks and pumping up others...since you were not there and all. Bias is tough to break through as you clearly reflect, but, you are definitely not alone in your bias.

The truth will forever be speculated upon by those who were not there. Fun and games continue.

Yep. I'll keep giving credit to the alumni, and you can keep shilling for RV.