UNT's schedule is out... We will not rest

Brett Vito

Staying "underground" doesn't equate to sitting on your hands though, as some here would have us believe. The entire complex came up under his watch. How much effort he put into it, how public/private he was during the building of each building, etc... is secondary to the credit he deserves for the GOOD things that have happened on his watch, that includes Apogee stadium.

All that said, and to get back on topic, those good things don't automatically provide him a free pass on misfires like the multiple botched hires and poor football scheduling, period.

To me, his positive stock in facilities can only go so far. He's got to be able to do other things too.

But, as UNT90 has been warning us about ad nauseum... do we really want this BOR to hire a new AD?

For me, when it comes to Rick Villareal, it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Sounds like a terrific candidate for Director of Facilities.

• Upvote 1

OOC Opponents:

2015: @Iowa; @Tennessee; @Smu; vs Portland State

2016: vs SMU; @Florida; @Army

2017: vs Army; @Iowa (How on earth do we schedule an 0-2 with IOWA!?); @SMU

2018: @Army; vs SMU; vs Incarnate Word - at least this season we should be guaranteed six home games with the opportunity for seven.

2019: vs Army; @SMU

2020: @Army; vs SMU
2021: vs Army; @SMU

At least RV figured out to have reverse fixtures with Army/SMU each year rather than the current C-USA schedule of all three Texas teams home one year then all away the following year.

But still. That schedule is hardly going to draw fans into Apogee, and getting FCS teams plus one of Army/SMU is not the vision fans were sold when Apogee was being built.

Edited by gradumacated

As for the University taking the golf course back... I don't know, but I bet he spearheaded that with the plans of an Athletic Complex.

The university didn't take back the golf course, it had always owned the land. The golf course management company went tits up and it's 160 acres fell back into our lap at about the greatest of timing we could have ever asked for. Pure ol' luck.

At the same time that happened the university had already decided to negotiate plans to allow the Athletic Dept to have the printing building on the north side of Fouts as a new athletic center, and RV had plans already drawn up for that building. But when the golf course property suddenly became available, Dr. Pohl and a gentleman who worked in Advancement who I cannot recall his name at the moment, immediately saw opportunity and changed course by suggesting we instead make plans to build the AC center there, and the rest is history.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

But, as UNT90 has been warning us about ad nauseum... do we really want this BOR to hire a new AD?

For me, when it comes to Rick Villareal, it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

So then we should keep Benford, right? Since we don't trust RV to hire coaches and the next guy might be worse?

• Upvote 1

Staying "underground" doesn't equate to sitting on your hands though, as some here would have us believe. The entire complex came up under his watch. How much effort he put into it, how public/private he was during the building of each building, etc... is secondary to the credit he deserves for the GOOD things that have happened on his watch, that includes Apogee stadium.

All that said, and to get back on topic, those good things don't automatically provide him a free pass on misfires like the multiple botched hires and poor football scheduling, period.

To me, his positive stock in facilities can only go so far. He's got to be able to do other things too.

You're right they were quiet and then remained quiet when the State Legislature f'ed UNT over with their ridiculous limits on the student fee that no other school had, this goes back to the BOR and Lee "F*** Off" Jackson

The university didn't take back the golf course, it had always owned the land. The golf course management company went tits up and it's 160 acres fell back into our lap at about the greatest of timing we could have ever asked for. Pure ol' luck.

At the same time that happened the university had already decided to negotiate plans to allow the Athletic Dept to have the printing building on the north side of Fouts as a new athletic center, and RV had plans already drawn up for that building. But when the golf course property suddenly became available, Dr. Pohl and a gentleman who worked in Advancement who I cannot recall his name at the moment, immediately saw opportunity and changed course by suggesting we instead make plans to build the AC center there, and the rest is history.

Rick

Your corrections are always appreciated Rick. :party0005:

So then we should keep Benford, right? Since we don't trust RV to hire coaches and the next guy might be worse?

Tricky question, because Benford is that bad.

You're right they were quiet and then remained quiet when the State Legislature f'ed UNT over with their ridiculous limits on the student fee that no other school had, this goes back to the BOR and Lee "F*** Off" Jackson

3078861757_c565b27c83.jpg

There are actually secured games for these years and there's a poster of them up in the football office.

Anyone on campus got a few extra minutes to spare to do us all a good favor and post these games?

I promise to +1 your next 10 posts regardless of if I agree or not.

I, likewise, commit to providing a +1 on the next 10 posts of the GMG denizen who provides photographic evidence of said poster.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, well that's just like, your opinion, man.

And the other 6 home game seasons? What are those equivalents?

He's done some things poorly. But he's also done some things well.

Maybe you'd like the body of his work summed up by the coaches he's hired and their individual records? That's not looking good either.

Maybe you'd like the body of his work summed up by the coaches he's hired and their individual records? That's not looking good either.

Eh. It doesn't do him many favors. But again, there are some good things mixed in there as well.

Just about every non-revenue coach he's brought on/extended has been a home run hire and have either created dynasties here, or moved up somewhere.

For the revenue sports... Uh, he brought Aston in, and uh, he extended JJ twice. Jury still out on McCarney, but Benford, Peterson, Dodge, Stephens... all red flags on his resume.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

As for the schedule, just looking around our conference it doesn't seem like others have the same excuses lined up that we do?

Charlotte hosts Temple

Marshall hosts Purdue

FAU hosts Miami, Fla.

USM hosts Mississippi State

ODU hosts NC State

Rice hosts Army

UTSA hosts Kansas State and Colorado State.

And note that Miss St is visiting Southern Miss this year, after visiting lowly start-up South Alabama last year.

Every year there are scheduling difficulties, for EVERYONE. Ark State even hosts Mizzou this year. But its becoming more and more difficult to sell what we are doing, or rather NOT doing, when so many others with so much less are outperforming us.

Rick

• Upvote 1

Maybe Harry can sit down with RV before next football season and cover what goes into scheduling football games -- both in conference and out of conference. I have some ideas on how it might go down but it might not be how it actually works. I suspect a lot of people don't really know how games get scheduled other then it involves a smoke filled room.

The problem at this point is you simply can't believe what he says on this issue.

Don't misquote me, now.

While I don't trust the BOR to hire the proper replacement, I'm finally willing to roll the dice. Like I said before, the negatives far outweigh the positives at this point, and the announcement of this schedule is just the capper on a terrible last 3 years for this AD. 3 years that get you fired if you work anywhere but UNT.

There is a reason people laugh at us.

• Upvote 2

Eh. It doesn't do him many favors. But again, there are some good things mixed in there as well.

Just about every non-revenue coach he's brought on/extended has been a home run hire and have either created dynasties here, or moved up somewhere.

For the revenue sports... Uh, he brought Aston in, and uh, he extended JJ twice. Jury still out on McCarney, but Benford, Peterson, Dodge, Stephens... all red flags on his resume.

Well as long as we are the best in non-revenue sports, I'm sold..

OOC Opponents:

2015: @Iowa; @Tennessee; @Smu; vs Portland State

2016: vs SMU; @Florida; @Army

2017: vs Army; @Iowa (How on earth do we schedule an 0-2 with IOWA!?); @SMU

2018: @Army; vs SMU; vs Incarnate Word - at least this season we should be guaranteed six home games with the opportunity for seven.

2019: vs Army; @SMU

2020: @Army; vs SMU

2021: vs Army; @SMU

At least RV figured out to have reverse fixtures with Army/SMU each year rather than the current C-USA schedule of all three Texas teams home one year then all away the following year.

But still. That schedule is hardly going to draw fans into Apogee, and getting FCS teams plus one of Army/SMU is not the vision fans were sold when Apogee was being built.

And as you see above, we still lack a home game in both 2016 and 2017 while the earliest we can return those games is 2018 and 2019.

BUT, if we can do that, and buy one more home game in 2019, we are back to having a buttload of flexibilty going forward.

What those who haven't watched the process don't realize is that it has taken a 5 home game season in both 2012 and 2015, along with buying 4 opponents in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 to even begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

That is how inflexible the scheduling situation had become. Paying 4 opponents at an average of 300k would be 1.2 million in cost incurred, plus the cost of lost revenue for 2 additional home games in 2012 and 2015.

Fly talks about doing our part, but this is serious waste that could have been avoided with MUCH better schedule planning.

I began watching the schedule when the 5 home games were announced in 2012. Before that I sounded like a bunch of you "just trust the AD" guys on here. What I found was a cluster F of a situation that I quite honestly had a hard time believing myself.

This was a situation that was created by RV and no one else. I wish he would step up and take responsibility.

Edited by UNT90