UNT's schedule is out... We will not rest

Brett Vito

Who are our home games in 2016 and 2017.

This.

Per the article, RV said : "we have secured six home games for the next four years already"

announced home games for the next four years are (not including the unannounced 4 conference home games per year):

2016: SMU

2017: Army

2018: SMU, Incarnate Word

2019: Army

So who are these secured home games in 2016, 2017, and 2019? if they're secured then announce them

• Upvote 3

I think RV's feet should be held to the fire for a lot of things, but this notion that he should be given zero credit for Apogee is insane and incredibly ignorant.

Oh, I'm sure that rv had everything to do with the V shape endzone. Other than using the efforts and money of others to build him a lasting monument and handing out UNT T-shirts on campus and basically running our Athletic Department as if it were a Boy and Girls club and not an Athletic Department, well........................................

Hey, trivia question. After JJ had secured his 200th win by defeating Arkansas St at the Super Pit, and RV grabbed the mic as they both headed out near center court.......................what were the very first words that came out of rv's mouth? Anyone?

Edited by meangreenbob

The best ONLY thing he did to help get us Apogee was to stay out of the way.

FIFY

He had to basically go into hiding so as not to attract any extra attention that the "stealth" campaign led by UNTFlyer would get from his involvement. Or else it would've gotten all the anti-athletic students out to vote. That was the loudest complaint after the vote passed, that it wasn't promoted enough to the students. Whether that argument is valid or not isn't really the point--the best thing that could've occurred for the future of UNT Football was to have your AD basically hide in a bunker. Honestly, that isn't even RV's fault--its the reality of athletics at UNT and the way it is looked at by the student body, faculty, and administration. RV had no choice if that thing was gonna pass--which I still feel like was a miracle.

So yeah, not really happy with the schedule either, but I am at least looking forward to the following:

- Playing at SMU will be a fun atmosphere and hopefully a good game

- There are two other away games I could realistically make it to (La Tech and Southern Miss)

- Portland St is........there

- UTEP?

- Whatever.

• Upvote 1

I think RV's feet should be held to the fire for a lot of things, but this notion that he should be given zero credit for Apogee is insane and incredibly ignorant.

It's as simple as this; no successful student vote, no stadium. There were two student votes, both during RV's tenure. One was sponsored by the athletic department and happened during the bowl run....failed miserably. The other by the SGA (Flyer and colleagues) and (thanks to RV) during the miserable Todd Dodge era......passed.

I agree with Emmitt. The best thing RV did regarding making the stadium happen was to stay out of the way.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

FIFY

He had to basically go into hiding so as not to attract any extra attention that the "stealth" campaign led by UNTFlyer would get from his involvement. Or else it would've gotten all the anti-athletic students out to vote. That was the loudest complaint after the vote passed, that it wasn't promoted enough to the students. Whether that argument is valid or not isn't really the point--the best thing that could've occurred for the future of UNT Football was to have your AD basically hide in a bunker. Honestly, that isn't even RV's fault--its the reality of athletics at UNT and the way it is looked at by the student body, faculty, and administration. RV had no choice if that thing was gonna pass--which I still feel like was a miracle.

This is dumb, and just plain untrue.

Again, I appreciate Flyer's grassroots leadership to drum up support and see this thing through while he was heading up the SGA, but that's what it was.

Point blank: The reason the student fee passed is because the language was written that the CURRENT STUDENTS could vote to kick the can to the next generation of students by postponing the introduction of the fee for a few years.

Those current students would already be graduated, their tuition not affected, AND they get a new stadium for their school! Win-win all the way around.

This thing was going to pass no matter what...because of the way it was written/presented.

That's it. No "stealth" campaign. No need for Rick to "hide" and not do anything, which he didn't (again, that's a gmg.com fabrication).

The first time the vote failed, I was on campus. It failed because those fees were going in immediately and were going to affect the bottom line on the current students' tuition. Who's going to have foresight of the advantages a new stadium would provide when your bank account is about to be affected negatively right now? ...Not many 18-21 yr olds.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This.

Per the article, RV said : "we have secured six home games for the next four years already"

announced home games for the next four years are (not including the unannounced 4 conference home games per year):

2016: SMU

2017: Army

2018: SMU, Incarnate Word

2019: Army

So who are these secured home games in 2016, 2017, and 2019? if they're secured then announce them

Just saying what sounds good in the moment. If this were true, it would be announced today or tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Again, I appreciate Flyer's grassroots leadership to drum up support and see this thing through while he was heading up the SGA, but that's what it was.

Point blank: The reason the student fee passed is because the language was written that the CURRENT STUDENTS could vote to kick the can to the next generation of students by postponing the introduction of the fee for a few years.

Those current students would already be graduated, their tuition not affected, AND they get a new stadium for their school! Win-win all the way around.

This thing was going to pass no matter what...because of the way it was written/presented.

That's it. No "stealth" campaign. No need for Rick to "hide" and not do anything, which he didn't (again, that's a gmg.com fabrication).

The first time the vote failed, I was on campus. It failed because those fees were going in immediately and were going to affect the bottom line on the current students' tuition. Who's going to have foresight of the advantages a new stadium would provide when your bank account is about to be affected negatively right now? ...Not many 18-21 yr olds.

I was on campus for both. The first as a student, the second as a staff member. I was involved with both quite a bit. While you are right that the language was written in a favorable way the second time. The athletic department remained mum on it and for a good reason too. There was a 'stealth' campaign because that was the only way they could do it. This thing didn't pass by a super over-whelming margin though it did get one of the largest voter turnouts at the time. There was nothing guaranteed in that vote and we were lucky to pull it out. The credit does not go to RV for that funding... of which, none of it would have happened.

The best thing he did to help get us Apogee was to stay out of the way.

C'mon Emmitt,

Did the acquisition of the LC campus include the Football stadium? Soccer complex? Softball stadium? Tennis complex (albeit incomplete)? Athletics Center?

Reality: We got 2 gyms: V-ball & B-ball practice facility, both requiring some extensive/expensive renovations (just ask Ernie), an indoor batting cage, an indoor golf range, some offices & land for the soccer, softball & eventual baseball stadiums.

As for the University taking the golf course back... I don't know, but I bet he spearheaded that with the plans of an Athletic Complex.

Maybe Harry can sit down with RV before next football season and cover what goes into scheduling football games -- both in conference and out of conference. I have some ideas on how it might go down but it might not be how it actually works. I suspect a lot of people don't really know how games get scheduled other then it involves a smoke filled room.

I was on campus for both. The first as a student, the second as a staff member. I was involved with both quite a bit. While you are right that the language was written in a favorable way the second time. The athletic department remained mum on it and for a good reason too. There was a 'stealth' campaign because that was the only way they could do it. This thing didn't pass by a super over-whelming margin though it did get one of the largest voter turnouts at the time. There was nothing guaranteed in that vote and we were lucky to pull it out. The credit does not go to RV for that funding... of which, none of it would have happened.

Thank you...you basically just donkey punched Mean Green Texan in the junk.

Man, I need to find a link, but I seem to recall the vote passing pretty easily. I remember checking here and Vito's blog for updates on the vote when it was going to be announced.

Something like a 5% turnout (which you're right, that's a poor #, but a VERY high turnout given other votes, which brought out something like 2% or less) with ~ 55% for : 45% against, margin. That's pretty good. Again, major props to Flyer for drumming up that support.

No one is saying that Rick was standing in the Union 24-7 beating a drum telling people to vote for it.

But to say he & the AD staff sat on their hands and waited for students to do it for them is not correct.

EDIT:

AH! As it turns out, I didn't have to search very long! ~14% of the students voted. 58% for : 42% against. That's pretty overwhelming.

http://news.unt.edu/news-releases/unt-students-approve-athletic-fee-will-help-build-new-stadium

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

Man, I need to find a link, but I seem to recall the vote passing pretty easily. I remember checking here and Vito's blog for updates on the vote when it was going to be announced.

Something like a 5% turnout (which you're right, that's a poor #, but a VERY high turnout given other votes, which brought out something like 2% or less) with ~ 55% for : 45% against, margin. That's pretty good. Again, major props to Flyer for drumming up that support.

No one is saying that Rick was standing in the Union 24-7 beating a drum telling people to vote for it.

But to say he & the AD staff sat on their hands and waited for students to do it for them is not correct.

EDIT:

AH! As it turns out, I didn't have to search very long! ~14% of the students voted. 58% for : 42% against. That's pretty overwhelming.

http://news.unt.edu/news-releases/unt-students-approve-athletic-fee-will-help-build-new-stadium

And how do you know this? Were you privy to "inside" info from either the athletic dept or the SGA's planning meetings? I'm sure the athletic department provided the SGA with some info and stats, but they (the SGA) did all the work. And for their efforts they got NO PERMANENT RECOGNITION. And thanks to this thread they get to have their efforts marginalized by fellow North Texas graduates. Carry on minions of RV.

Only at North Texas. :glare:

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 4

But wait? Wouldn't a competent AD, one who possessed business knowledge, wisdom, understanding and foresight, written the language properly the first time? Running a pizza parlor is nothing compared to heading up a D1 Athletic Department. Sorry

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1

And how do you know this? Were you privy to "inside" info from either the athletic dept or the SGA's planning meetings? I'm sure the athletic department provided the SGA with some info and stats, but they (the SGA) did all the work. And for their efforts they got NO PERMANENT RECOGNITION. And thanks to this thread they get to have their efforts marginalized by fellow North Texas graduates. Carry on minions of RV.

Only at North Texas. :glare:

Good grief! Just about every single one of my posts in this thread mentions props to Flyer.

His and the SGA's efforts don't get enough recognition outside this board.

Rick and the AD's efforts apparently don't get enough recognition inside this board.

There was nothing "stealth" about what Flyer was doing. He was making signs with facts and putting them up all over campus. He was writing opinion articles in the NT Daily (and even the DRC, I think?), combating idiots in any and every comments section of any story regarding the fee. He was VERY public. If anyone was "stealth", it was Rick & crew.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But wait? Wouldn't a competent AD, one who possessed business knowledge, wisdom, understanding and foresight, written the language properly the first time? Running a pizza parlor is nothing compared to heading up a D1 Athletic Department. Sorry

No arguments from me here, but at least it was righted the next time around.

Good grief! Just about every single one of my posts in this thread mentions props to Flyer.

His and the SGA's efforts don't get enough recognition outside this board.

Rick and the AD's efforts apparently don't get enough recognition inside this board.

There was nothing "stealth" about what Flyer was doing. He was making signs with facts and putting them up all over campus. He was writing opinion articles in the NT Daily (and even the DRC, I think?), combating idiots in any and every comments section of any story regarding the fee. He was VERY public. If anyone was "stealth", it was Rick & crew.

That's all we are trying to say here--RV had to stay "underground" just for this to have any chance of passing. If you give him credit for that, so be it...but most of us don't give him credit for getting the new stadium because the SGA had to do the heavy lifting.

• Upvote 4

That's all we are trying to say here--RV had to stay "underground" just for this to have any chance of passing. If you give him credit for that, so be it...but most of us don't give him credit for getting the new stadium because the SGA had to do the heavy lifting.

Staying "underground" doesn't equate to sitting on your hands though, as some here would have us believe. The entire complex came up under his watch. How much effort he put into it, how public/private he was during the building of each building, etc... is secondary to the credit he deserves for the GOOD things that have happened on his watch, that includes Apogee stadium.

All that said, and to get back on topic, those good things don't automatically provide him a free pass on misfires like the multiple botched hires and poor football scheduling, period.

To me, his positive stock in facilities can only go so far. He's got to be able to do other things too.

But, as UNT90 has been warning us about ad nauseum... do we really want this BOR to hire a new AD?

For me, when it comes to Rick Villareal, it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Staying "underground" doesn't equate to sitting on your hands though, as some here would have us believe. The entire complex came up under his watch. How much effort he put into it, how public/private he was during the building of each building, etc... is secondary to the credit he deserves for the GOOD things that have happened on his watch, that includes Apogee stadium.

All that said, and to get back on topic, those good things don't automatically provide him a free pass on misfires like the multiple botched hires and poor football scheduling, period.

To me, his positive stock in facilities can only go so far. He's got to be able to do other things too.

But, as UNT90 has been warning us about ad nauseum... do we really want this BOR to hire a new AD?

For me, when it comes to Rick Villareal, it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

41397-Picard-clapping-applause-gif-vX3R.

• Upvote 1