UNT's schedule is out... We will not rest

Brett Vito

Terrible terrible schedule.

Ok

I get the frustration. But isn't this better than a Sun Belt schedule? I think some are taking the games against Rice and UTEP for granted. These would have been non conference games in the Belt. Let's try to keep some perspective here.

Anyone else notice that there is one month gap between our fourth home game against UTSA and our fifth (and final) home game against UTEP? There is also a large gap of 20 days between the Rice and Portland State games.

Not good for building momentum at home or energizing the fan base. I guess this frees up most of my weekends this fall.

I really cherish those games at Apogee each fall. This schedule makes me feel like I'm getting short-changed on season tickets.

I'm just disappointed. No worries. I've gotten used to the felling.

• Upvote 5

I hate this way of thinking and our fanbase excels at it. We try to use our horrible past as a way to excuse our current failures. The AD promised the students, alumni and fans that 6 home games and quality home OOC opponents would be the standard once Apogee opened. In my opinion, that has been a complete lie through the first 5 seasons at Apogee.

AMEN. What are the big time opponents that have come to Apogee? We were told that Fouts was the reason we couldn't get Big Time programs to travel to Denton. So what is it now? Too small, too far, not enough money?

• Upvote 4

A school (ULM) that has been held up as a champion for scheduling teams we seem to fail at getting is slated to only have five home games this upcoming football season.

Nicholls State

Appalachian State *

Arkansas State *

Georgia Southern *

New Mexico State *

CUSA teams with only five home games:

FIU

UTEP

Western Kentucky

North Texas

It also appears many CUSA schools play at least one FCS opponent:

Rice - Wagner

UTEP - Incarnate Word

Old Dominion - Norfolk State

Southern Miss - Austin Peay

North Texas - Portland State

Middle Tennessee - Jackson State

FIU - N C Central

Marshall - Norfolk State

Louisiana Tech - Southern

Charlotte - Presyterian

Didn't you just reinforce my point there? 4 out of 13 C-USA teams have less than 6 home games, therefor we are in the minority just in our conference. As far as playing a FCS school: I'm not complaining about that, as long as it is complimented with a home game that will get people's interest. A FCS game is fine as long as you can schedule at least one out-of-conference home game that can put butts in the seats.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 2

We have a former SWC member that everyone loves to hate and a service academy on our OOC schedule. Not sure why everyone is so quick to discount that part of OOC. Now, the payday game, which requires a paid home game is a different story. I would like to see them both removed, but the replacements might not be as exciting as everyone hopes. Keep in mind that we need to at least split the OOC.

As much as I would like to see the payday game eliminated, I did see a quote from one of our recent recruits referencing the fact that they will be playing Tennessee next season as a positive. He did not seem to be concerned that it was on the road.

• Upvote 1

I've been disappointed with several things over the past decade, but let's not forget the man has overseen a period of change that has completely altered the face of UNT athletics, allowing it to be on-par with many of our Texas "peer institutions" in almost every measurable category.

Where we trail the rest of the state's Div-1 programs (specifically the Big 12 schools + SMU and to a lesser degree, UH) is *ahem* alumni donations and fan support/attendance.

And winning freaking football games, freaking women's basketball games, and now even freakiing men's basketball games.

And scheduling OOC opponents that will catch the attention of alumni.

And hiring successful coaches in the 3 major sports.

• Upvote 4

Didn't you just reinforce my point there? 4 out of 13 C-USA teams have less than 6 home games, therefor we are in the minority just in our conference. As far as playing a FCS school: I'm not complaining about that, as long as it is complimented with a home game that will get people's interest. A FCS game is fine as long as you can schedule at least one out-of-conference home game that can put butts in the seats.

Minority or not, we're not the only school out there that is scheduling FCS schools nor are we the only ones ending up with five home games. I don't think all G5 schools have announced their schedules but it would be interesting to see just how many schools have fewer than six home games.

And it would be interesting to see how many P5s they have played at home in recent years.

But you do sorta have a point. We are keeping up nicely with the dregs of FBS football.

And yes, ULM has 5 home games, yet they recently played Baylor at home, among at least one other P5 that I can't recall.

So we are basically ULM, but without the good ULM stuff.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

We have a former SWC member that everyone loves to hate and a service academy on our OOC schedule. Not sure why everyone is so quick to discount that part of OOC. Now, the payday game, which requires a paid home game is a different story. I would like to see them both removed, but the replacements might not be as exciting as everyone hopes. Keep in mind that we need to at least split the OOC.

As much as I would like to see the payday game eliminated, I did see a quote from one of our recent recruits referencing the fact that they will be playing Tennessee next season as a positive. He did not seem to be concerned that it was on the road.

Are you sure you're looking at the right year? I don't see any service academies on our schedule this year.

Edited by jquincy
  • Downvote 2

All I can say is that this cannot happen again - get 2020 and 2021 done asap.

Further, that Incarnate Word game does not count as an attractive opponent. That year they play in Denton better not also feature a Portland State or Nicholls State game too. If that is the case get New Mexico State in here or a Belt team like ULM or Arkie State.

Look I don't care who we play I will be there, but I just cannot believe we can't ink a deal with any MWC teams with excellent name recognition: Fresno State, Boise, New Mexico (who will bring fans), Colorado State, San Diego State, UNLV. Better yet would be an Oregon State, Washington State, Vanderbilt, Purdue, Rutgers - the Big 10 must love swinging through North Texas. Minnesota played at TCU, Indiana played here. Heck get Colorado back into Big 12 country. Come on Smastrek demand better for us fans.

Fix it or you need another 29,999 fans like me that will show up in Apogee or Tennessee, Iowa and West Virginia in a few short months.

GMG

• Upvote 3

Without going into RV's comments too much, I'm curious why if Tulsa was willing to do an out-of-conference series before we joined C-USA why they were not willing to work out a new deal once they left the conference. We are closer than at least one of their away out-of-conference games @ New Mexico. I'd be curious to know who we tried to make a deal with and why it didn't work out.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

But his comments do reek of me going into my office and saying: "look boss, I know you assigned me this task but I just couldn't get it done. There were too many obstacles beyond my control that were getting in the way. I wont do it again, promise." See how that works out for you in any other job.

• Upvote 3

This is complete crap, and another lie to the fan base. This was unavoidable due to HIS previous scheduling. Not one mention about a Tennessee contract that had run up against a clock or why we had 5 home games in 2012.

Again, Tulsa had no problem filling a 2014 home slot that we vacated in one less year than we had. Do they simply have a better AD? Or were they not put in an inflexible position by past scheduling decisions.

And if we had to play 5 home games, why did we get stuck playing 3 of them on Halloween, Texas-OU weekend, and Thanksgiving weekend? And why dont we open the season when every other college football team in America opens the season? Is that the Tulsa game's fault? Hardly.

Just once, I'd love to see this AD take responsibility for just one bad decision. Guess I'll have to wait for the next bad decision to come along to see if that will ever happen.

Sadly, I probably won't have to wait too long.

Just complete crap being shoveled in the mouth of this fan base today.

If any of you ever tell me just "trust the AD" when it comes to scheduling again, I'm going to Cerebus's house, stealing his Brandon Kennedy bobble head, and beating the life out of you with it.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1