Rice (1/31/15)

CMJ

I will say this, Benford has the toughest part of being a college HC down, he can recruit talent, the part he severely lacks in is coaching, thus why he was such a coveted assistant by Buzz. Hopefully the ship rights itself, for now, I'll remain on the side of a new coach, while rooting for the boys to have success.

• Upvote 2

Optimist could say: We opened poorly, tried to play through it, made the adjustments and then outclassed them for a half plus a minute or so.

Pessimist could say: A flat, unmotivated start, a glaring lack of response to an obvious problem that should have been addressed sooner, followed by having so much more talent that once it was pointed in the right direction, the outcome was inevitable.

I'll just say GMG.

Or...people could simply be happy UNT won and not try to find reasons to be otherwise. Really nice crowd tonight too...maybe the best crowd of the year on a rainy Saturday night against Rice. Really nice adjustments made at halftime. Nice win for the Mean Green. Be happy about that. I've haven't seen enough of these win things this year...this was nice!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I do not mind our zone, but when we give up 2 or 3 threes we need to switch to man for a while. I get the benefits of a zone but we should have gone man before the second half started. Holding rice to 20% from the field in the second half is solid.

^^^^^^^^^

Did he just say that we need to use man to defend the 3?

• Upvote 3

Here's a fun fact ... We have only outscored six teams this season in the second half.

Team                  Date      Record
Arkansas-Monticello   11/14/14  5-12
Nicholls State        11/17/14  5-13
Delaware State        11/19/14  10-11
Mississippi Valley    11/26/14  3-18
Langston              12/17/14  9-6
Rice*                 1/31/15   6-14

Those six have a combined record of ... drum roll please ... 38-74. I'm glad we managed to outscore Rice by 18 in the second half tonight but if we're going to have a shot at .500 for the season, the team must play two solid halves. We have ten games to win 6 to finish 15-15 in the regular season.

• Upvote 2

Tell you what, Combs was dominating the paint tonight. That kid is going to be really good. It will be interesting next season to see him with Reese and Brice, We still need a knockdown three guy though.

Anefiok and Deandre will also be back next season. TJ Taylor may return as well. If we get one decent freshman shooter and a JUCO big we will be just fine!

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Anefiok and Deandre will also be back next season. TJ Taylor may return as well. If we get one decent freshman shooter and a JUCO big we will be just fine!

Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.

2010 - 2011 - Season ending injury at Oklahoma (redshirts)

2011 - 2012 - Paris Junior College

2012 - 2013 - Sits out due to NCAA transfer rules

2013 - 2014 - Plays at North Texas as a red shirt junior

2014 - 2015 - Plays at North Texas as a red shirt senior

Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.

2010 - 2011 - Season ending injury at Oklahoma (redshirts)

2011 - 2012 - Paris Junior College

2012 - 2013 - Sits out due to NCAA transfer rules

2013 - 2014 - Plays at North Texas as a red shirt junior

2014 - 2015 - Plays at North Texas as a red shirt senior

Vito just posted the article today..... Did you not read it.....?

• Upvote 1

There is a chance he can come back and play as a graduate student. Just like Vaughns did last season. It was literally just posted on the forms like 8 hours ago. I questioned it so sent some messages and found out it's very possible if he chooses to not go pro at the end of the season.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

There is a chance he can come back and play as a graduate student. Just like Vaughns did last season. It was literally just posted on the forms like 8 hours ago. I questioned it so sent some messages and it's possible.

Getting a sixth year of eligibility is not very common. It happens but is not very common.

The article made it sound like it was very possible, and really going to come down to if TJ wants to stay or go pro. I vote for stay. :)

Nothing in the article makes it seem like his getting a sixth year of eligibility is very possible. It says he can make a case but that's it. I think his biggest negative on trying to get that sixth year will be the number of schools he has enrolled at -- Oklahoma, Paris JC, Marquette, and North Texas. Had he never enrolled at Marquette he could have played here for 3 full seasons.

Edited by UNTFan23

Optometrist and dribbling Hawks will up the numbers a pretty good bit. (IMO at least 1,000-maybe more)

I have noticed a slight uptick in "regular" (non-visiting fans, non-special promo fans) and students as conference play has been getting rolling.

Same things when JJ was coaching and Blakely, etc., etc. Little dribblers and youth sports teams have been common fare now for several years. I am thinking the concession folks are pretty happy about these kids coming. Ha! So, the fact that attendance is growing is a good thing. I don't recall folks discounting attendance due to half-time participants and sponsors when others were coaching. It is nice to see attendance growing...period! These guys are playing hard and really seem to like the bigger crowds. Perhaps we should look at the nice attendance figures the last two-three games and be happy about that. I have had "new" people sitting around me for each of the last three home games. Last night a guy brought several jr high aged kids. Nice to see.

• Upvote 1

Same things when JJ was coaching and Blakely, etc., etc. Little dribblers and youth sports teams have been common fare now for several years. I am thinking the concession folks are pretty happy about these kids coming. Ha! So, the fact that attendance is growing is a good thing. I don't recall folks discounting attendance due to half-time participants and sponsors when others were coaching. It is nice to see attendance growing...period! These guys are playing hard and really seem to like the bigger crowds. Perhaps we should look at the nice attendance figures the last two-three games and be happy about that. I have had "new" people sitting around me for each of the last three home games. Last night a guy brought several jr high aged kids. Nice to see.

I think you know I will call it like I see it regardless of who the coach is or anything else. I say similar things about the DISD games. I recognize that they are there to pad the attendance numbers in a usually uninteresting matchup and help expose the game day atmosphere to lots of local kids. I do not consider those games to be full of hardcore or paying fans. Last night was not full of hardcore fans, but that is to be expected after the last couple of dumpster fire seasons.

Like I said, it seem to me there has been a slight uptick in attendance after adjusting for visiting fans and obvious promotions fans. That's my call and I don't see it as discounting attendance as mush as recognizing what's happening. If there were that many fans there last night and 1/4 were not wearing the same giveaway shirts I would have said that too.

Jordan has been playing with a fire in his belly this year and really trying to feed on the fans and give the fans something to cheer for. He has stuck through a ton of challenges both in and out of his control and is pouring his heart into his last season in the Green. I'll be there to cheer him on, he's more than earned it.

• Upvote 1

I had not been to a game in awhile and I really liked it. Good atmosphere I like the Tvs to watch other games at halftime and have a beer. Went solo and ready to go back with others when schedule permits.

Keep winning. GMG

• Upvote 4