Encouraging recruiting post from Eric Capper

Harry

Flip that guy from Paso to UNT and I will be happy. This class is set for the most part. Sites that rank recruiting classes are going to tear into this class and rank us low bc of the number of JUCO's, but that is OK. I like most of the guys in this class. I think we went a little too heavy on a few positions that could have been used on the DL, but no complaining just observing. It is NEVER a bad thing to have too many DL, particularly DT's. I like the class and I think McCarney and Co. did a decent job. I bash them a lot, but this is a slight praise. Now all they have to do is use the recruited talent to produce wins, ya know, the hard part.

Best class by what metric?

I'd like to trust Coach Mac's opinion on these evaluations, but Carlos Harris and Lairamie Lee are really the only guys he has signed who didn't have more than 2 other FBS offers but who were still legitimate CUSA level starters.

Guys like Cyril Lemon, Derek Akunne, and James Jones (our 3 all-CUSA players last year) all had at least 3 other FBS offers when we signed them, so they were guys you could feel confident in because multiple other coaches agreed they were FBS level players. Not just Coach Mac, or Coach Mac and, say, one other FBS coach.

That's what really has me nervous with this class.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Best class by what metric?

I'd like to trust Coach Mac's opinion on these evaluations, but Carlos Harris and Lairamie Lee are really the only guys he has signed who didn't have more than 2 other FBS offers but who were still legitimate CUSA level starters.

Guys like Cyril Lemon, Derek Akunne, and James Jones (our 3 all-CUSA players last year) all had at least 3 other FBS offers when we signed them, so they were guys you could feel confident in because multiple other coaches agreed they were FBS level players. Not just Coach Mac, or Coach Mac and, say, one other FBS coach.

That's what really has me nervous with this class.

I don't recall Cyril having any other FBS offers.