The best player(s) to play college football from your high school?

Harry

Grant Wiley. I think he was at WVU around 1999. There were a few others that got to big-time programs, but I don't think any others were such big impact players. I didn't really follow his career, he was as big a tool to me as everyone else I grew up with so I didn't even know he made such a splash until afterwards anyway.

Make the playoffs in the 21st century, then we'll talk.

We are historically more into action than talk.

See:

Your field house and your bell tower.

Reference for those that wonder what the hell we are talking about (scroll down to pranks):

http://ahhsalumni.org/remember/ahhs-memories.html

Pretty clear who is the more serious/inappropriate pranksters.

Edited by UNT90

Denton High '04

Herman Johnson- LSU then got drafted by the Cards, then Bears

Chance Gray- Played for Tulsa for a stint

'03

Anthony Alridge went to Houston (2X 2nd team All Conference C-USA and Doak Walker Semi Finalist '07) and then played for 3 different teams in NFL

'01

Ian Gaines- Vanderbilt

• Upvote 1

Plano West Senior High

Kyle & Kory Bosworth (UCLA, NFL, Brian Bosworth's nephews) LB

David Loftin (Stanford, son of James Lofton) QB/WR

Jordan Pugh (A&M, former Panther and Redskin) DB

Vickiel Vaughn (Arkansas, SF 49ers, DB)

JJ Johnson (UNT!!!!!!! OL)

Jackson Jeffcoat (Texas, now with the Redskins)

• Upvote 1

I went to JJ Pearce. Football was never really our 'thing'. The entire time I was there, we won 5 games at most (could be less, I don't remember).

I played alongside a notable football (in the international sense) player: Alejandro Moreno. Ale went on to have a nice career in the MLS & had some caps for Venezuela's MNT. Jeff Agoos also went to Pearce.

Some notable football players:

Ray Childress ('81) - DL - A&M (2x All-American) / Oilers(5x Pro-Bowler).

Chris Jacke ('85) - K - UTEP / GB Packers HOF'er (1x All-Pro).

Anthony Dorsett ('91) - Pitt (where else? he's Tony's boy) / Oilers/Texans/Raiders & CFL.

EDIT: Oh! and how could I forget the Mean Green great: Danny Meager.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

Mount Pleasant High School - Go Tigers!

Maury Buford - Punter for Texas Tech, Drafted by San Diego, Won Super Bowl Ring with Chicago in 85. Played from 82-91Chargers, Bears, Giants, Bears

Barry Minter - Safety and later LB at Tulsa, Drafted by Cowboys in 93 then traded to Bears. Played 93-2000 with Bears until a back injury put a rookie Brian Urlacher in. Final season was with Cleveland in 2000.

Chaun Thompson - LB West Texas A&M - Drafted by Cleveland 2003 played six seasons and then two seasons with Houston.

Basil Mitchell - RB TCU - Played two seasons with Green Bay

KD Canon - WR Baylor Bears - Will most def play on Sundays.

Add Chris Campbell to that list. He died before his senior year but he was one of the reasons that Miami upset UCLA his junior year. He was the best player that I've ever seen.

• Upvote 1

Arlington Lamar

Fred Jackson, Buffalo Bills RB. Interestingly, he didn't start in High School and went to the NFL via Coe College in Iowa.

Other NFL players: Scott McGarrahan, Mitch Willis, Bobby Sign

Shawn Walters should have been in the line of great USC running backs, but he got caught taking money in the 90's and his career dissolved

Went to Lake Highlands High in Dallas. Historically solid team with 1 state championship in 1981. I only know of the recent NFL players that came from there so here goes: Matt Stover, Frank Okam, Marshall Newhouse (pretty sure he started in the superbowl for greenbay), Detron Smith, Wade Smith. Current NCAA players of note include Desmond Roland at Ok State and Kent Perkins at Texas.

How could you forget Phil Dawson kicking the winning 52 yd FG against Nacogdoches in 92' then went on to play for Browns

Matt Stover Class of 86' Browns again

My era had

Dexter Ford started at Baylor ended in 1-AA

Devaran Hightower attended AZ State

Marcus Stiggers attended Colorado

All got in trouble and flamed out at their big schools

Edited by untbowler

How could you forget Phil Dawson kicking the winning 52 yd FG against Nacogdoches in 92' then went on to play for Browns

Matt Stover Class of 86' Browns again

My era had

Dexter Ford started at Baylor ended in 1-AA

Devaran Hightower attended AZ State

Marcus Stiggers attended Colorado

All got in trouble and flamed out at their big schools

I mentioned the guys i knew about first hand. I was born in 1990 so that should shed some light as to why i wasnt witness to some of the other guys you mentioned. LH is consistently putting guts in d1 schools though so that's only the list of those who made it all the way.

I mentioned the guys i knew about first hand. I was born in 1990 so that should shed some light as to why i wasnt witness to some of the other guys you mentioned. LH is consistently putting guts in d1 schools though so that's only the list of those who made it all the way.

1990, so you missed the Glory Days under Coach Z, after about 1997-98 team really has not been the same.