The best player(s) to play college football from your high school?

Harry

I went to Houston Memorial and the best we had were:

Shon Nichols (6-3, 235 4.6) linebacker from 1984 who started at SMU and transferred to Baylor after the death penalty. Beast.

Omar Saleh (6-2, 280) offensive guard from 1984 that played at Texas.

Shannon Kelley (6-3, 190) quarterback from 1984 that played for Texas.

I went to Leander High School.

Blake Gideon: Started all 52 games at safety during his time at the University of Texas. After an awkward NFL "career" he is now on staff at the University of Florida.

Paul Thompson: #8 athlete in the country coming out of high school (per certain sources) and attended Oklahoma and had fun playing Boise St in the Fiesta Bowl.

• Upvote 1

Jefferson High School in East Texas.

Terry Johnson 1986 Purdue

Kevin Smith 1986 Texas

Bobby Williams 1994 Arkansas. Played pro on Philadelphia, Cincinnati, and Baltimore.

Tim Duffie 1994- Texas Tech. Now DB coach for Oklahoma State.

Montrae Holland 1996 Florida State. Also played pro for New Orleans, Denver, and Dallas.

Anthony Johnson 2001- RB Texas. Now RB Coach Toledo

Jarred Schumpert 2005 Southwest Baptist. He was the school's all time leading tackler. He recently passed away in a car accident. He received interest from a few pro teams, but didn't have aspirations to play pro ball. Glad I can say I played with this young man.

Cordell Roberson 2009- SFA. He became their all time leading receptions leader in a few statistical categories. Played for Cleveland and Buffalo's practice squad.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 1

Went to Lake Highlands High in Dallas. Historically solid team with 1 state championship in 1981. I only know of the recent NFL players that came from there so here goes: Matt Stover, Frank Okam, Marshall Newhouse (pretty sure he started in the superbowl for greenbay), Detron Smith, Wade Smith. Current NCAA players of note include Desmond Roland at Ok State and Kent Perkins at Texas.

Denton High: Besides Don Woods.

Mark Behning; graduated in the late 70's and signed with Nebraska as an OT and played for the Steelers a few years.

John Lott OL 82', played at North Texas and I think was a replacement player. Strength Coach for the Arizona Cardinals and runs the combines lifting events.

Herman Johnson OT; played at LSU and currently with the Chicago Bears

Non-football alumni:

Phyllis George and Shirley Cothran: both won Ms. America

Jordan Malone: Olympic short track skater

Tim Tadlock: Head baseball coach at Texas Tech.

Skip Johnson: Pitching coach University of Texas

Lake Highlands:

Merton Hanks - long-time SF 49er

Matt Stover - long-time NFL kicker

Phil Dawson (teammate of mine) - current NFL kicker

Matt Dunigan - CFL Hall of Famer (played catch with him one time during the off-season)

Frank Okam - NFL

Andre Tillman - NFL (1970s)

Marshall Newhouse - NFL

John Walters (teammate of mine) - won National Title at Alabama while a freshman special teams player and back-up linebacker...went on to start in subsequent years)

Detron Smith (teammate of mine) - multiple years in the NFL

Marcus Coleman (teammate of mine) - multiple years in the NFL

Rodderick Newhouse (teammate of mine) - son of Cowboy great, Robert, played at Rice. Multiple years in NFL front-offices.

Brother, Reggie, played at Baylor and for the Arizona Cardinals.

Pretty remarkable run of talent coming from the Wildcats!

• Upvote 2