Stay Hard Jub

Green P1

So, what's our official position on step down-erers?

Obviously, we don't NEED them, in the most literal sense of the word. But, can we miss them and appreciate them?

If Dunham absolutely must be a transfer (who I'm sure has a perfectly valid reason for leaving), I'm just sad to see him go.

I hope Jub doesn't have the diabetes.

• Upvote 1

First ballot HOF'er?

Without question. This is how you should pick HOF'ers, someone who NO DOUBT deserves to go in.

Not only is he first ballot, and I know we all love Spiriki, but how about we cast a bronze of George Dunham and put it in that spot.

The team could all rub the Jub Jub for luck on the way onto the field.

• Upvote 7

Polishing a turd? Really? This board brings more idiots out every single day. George has done our radio for over 20 years and you don't think things are better now than ever before? I know last season was disappointing, but my goodness some of you are so far over the top that it is ridiculous. Retiring from UNT radio or not doesn't change the fact that he is a UNT alum that has loyalty to his school. That ain't changing.

LOL, well for starters this idiot has been on the board a long long time.

Go look at our win/loss record over that 20 years.

Those of us that are tired and beat down from UNT sports are not the delusional or short sighted ones. When things are supposedly good around here they are still piss poor in the grand scheme of things. In football we have had 4 wining seasons since we moved back to 1-A. 4! Holy crap that is terrible. You have to go back to Hayden Fry to find a UNT football coach that has a winning record here. 9 coaches in that span! Terrible!

Through the JJ years in basketball (the glory years) we went to the NCAA tournament twice. It felt great! We were trounced but hey it was major progress for a team that had been so bad for a long long time. Still with that said JJ left here with a record of 190-146, 91-88 in conference. We finished a conference season in 1st place during his term ONE time. Ladies and gents JJ's time here felt great but our basketball god was only average really. It's just that average in UNT sports can feel so good considering our normal circumstances.

I could go on and on about how bad we have been and how bad we are currently but I will leave it alone. Sure there are positives to hang your hat on. A few of our non-revenue sports have been above average. Dare I say our ladies soccer team is great. Also, and this is a biggie, we actually have the infrastructure to develop teams and compete in NCAA sports. If you have been around for many years like myself and so many others on this board that is a pretty huge accomplishment for UNT sports.

So going back to your idiot comment. Yes I am. There is little doubt, but not for the reason you think.

I will keep donating money.

I will keep being a fan.

I will keep holding out hope

because I love UNT.

OH and as for George that is a lot of losing for one man to not only have to watch but to be the voice of......

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Without question. This is how you should pick HOF'ers, someone who NO DOUBT deserves to go in.

Not only is he first ballot, and I know we all love Spiriki, but how about we cast a bronze of George Dunham and put it in that spot.

The team could all rub the Jub Jub for luck on the way onto the field.

I really like the Jub Jub statue idea. That would be a grand tradition.

• Upvote 3

The more I think about it, I think the hire to replace George is actually more important than the future hire to replace Benford.

Houston posted above that JJ was pretty average. Whether you believe that or not, what is crystal clear is that George was WAY above average for a UNT sports announcer. He was the closest thing we have ever had to a Mike krzyzewski, an Urban Myer, or a Nick Saban at UNT.

Pay attention to this hire, RV. Put the appropriate amount of effort into it to make it right.

• Upvote 5

Tin hat firmly strapped on as I leave Dallas Love for Reno and learn of this news.

And there is your new AD.

I am about to fly over 51 after all.

Grew up with Jub. walked the corridors at the same time he was on campus. Never knew him personally but felt like I did all of these years. Shared the Texas theft miracle in the desert New Orleans four and HOD championship. Awesome run with more to come.

Fierce defender of the green and white. Best fan status!!!!!

GMG

• Upvote 1

I know those around long enough to have heard Bill Mercer will always associate his voice with UNT sports. For me, George will always be that guy. Sad to see him go. Thanks for the memories!

Dunham loved the job so much that he stole it from Merecer. In his book Mercer pulled no punches in his description of that fiasco. While I think Dunham has done a fantastic job I've always held a bit of resentment for how he went about securing that job. Maybe another Mercer protege can step up.

I took both semesters of Mercer's broadcast sports class. I have respect for anyone who can do this well. It ain't easy.

Despite my personal feelings about Dunham I will miss his call. He does a superb job.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Thanks to the Exclusive Jubinator for all the great calls and memories. Guy has been a tireless advocate of the Mean Green, even during the really lean times.

Always appreciated his approachability. He'd talk Mean Green sports with even the sparest of North Texas fans (ie me).

This chapter of Mean Green history...CLOSED!!! /Fake Michael Irvin.

Do you believe in the Mean Green?!?!?

• Upvote 3

Nothing more to it. Spoke to him after the BB Radio Show this last Monday.

All jokes aside I believe this to be true. Based on the amount of time put in as well as his early morning hours from his day job it would just seem to wear on you after years of doing it.

Although deep down it probably does help making such decisions when you feel like you get kicked in the nuts constantly with announcing losing teams.

EASILY a first ballot HOFer

"Do you believe in the Mean Green" : North Texas :: "How 'bout them Cowboys" : Dallas Cowboys

The replacement has big shoes to fill. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we can find our replacement by sifting through the USF broadcast booth during McCarney's tenure. Their current play-by-play man Jim Louk has been there 17yrs and doesn't appear to have any desire to leave. RV will have to get creative.

Seriously, thought, I like the suggestions of Sean Bass in the booth.

Dunham loved the job so much that he stole it from Merecer. In his book Mercer pulled no punches in his description of that fiasco. While I think Dunham has done a fantastic job I've always held a bit of resentment for how he went about securing that job. Maybe another Mercer protege can step up.

I took both semesters of Mercer's broadcast sports class. I have respect for anyone who can do this well. It ain't easy.

Despite my personal feelings about Dunham I will miss his call. He does a superb job.

Agree!

Bill Mercer...the voice of the Mean Green!

It's a very concerning time at NT. Not sure after the recent coaching hires I'll hold my breath that we'll get this one right? After all, we still don't have the great Rob Coffey doing anything but women's basketball at times and still employ Tim Couch, who could be the worse PA alive?

If anything I'd like to see our other radio guy back at his more important job of Corporate fundraising instead of traveling around with the teams most of the year. I think Bartolotta does a great job for the women. He being an alumn and all, he may be our best bet for now? Sean Bass, Brent Baker, Dave Barnett to name a few, would be great gets as well.

We have lots of options for sure.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 3