2015 Open Date

10Eagle10

Last year, CUSA posted the league schedule on Feb. 3.

I realize that there's no way to actually know yet which date will be the open date, but with the doldrums between the end of bowl season and signing date, I thought it might be a useful exercise to see if anyone can correctly guess which weekend will be our BYE in 2015. Winner gets a free 2014 souvenir cup, slightly used.

Sept. 5

Sept. 12 @ SMU

Sept. 19

Sept. 26 @ Iowa

Oct. 3

Oct. 10 Portland State

Oct. 17

Oct. 24

Oct. 31

Nov. 7

Nov. 14 @ Tennessee

Nov. 21

Nov. 28

Dec. 5 CUSA Championship Game

9 Open Dates, 8 games. Guaranteed games with Rice, UTSA, UTEP, LA Tech, Southern Miss. The remaining three will be from the pool of MUTS, F_U twins, Charlotte, Old Dominion, Marshall, WKU.

My personal top three contenders for open date winner are Oct. 3, Oct. 17, and Sept. 5.

Disclaimer: I love college football in October (especially home games), so I don't really want an open date on either of the first two, but that tends to be the time frame where opening dates occur. Also, I absolutely do NOT want to be sitting at home with no game on the first weekend of the season, but being a tried and true "that's just our luck" Mean Greener, I could certainly envision a scenario where it happens to us.

Any takers?

• Upvote 2

September 5th and 19th will be home games except that September 19th will more likely be on September 17th because we must have weeknight games now.

I don't know. If we use up 2 of our 4 conference home games on the 5th and 17th, then we only have two total left for October and November. It's definitely possible, however I think it's more likely that we get a home game on either/or regarding those two dates. Speaking of our newest tradition (weeknight games), what if our weeknight game is for the season opener, say Sept 3? I might actually like that idea

I don't know. If we use up 2 of our 4 conference home games on the 5th and 17th, then we only have two total left for October and November. It's definitely possible, however I think it's more likely that we get a home game on either/or regarding those two dates. Speaking of our newest tradition (weeknight games), what if our weeknight game is for the season opener, say Sept 3? I might actually like that idea

The weeknight thing for me is just a personal schedule ball buster. From August 15th through October 15th, I'm generally working 80 hours a week in spite of the annual dire promises of management that it'll "Be better next year! I promise! We'll have it down to 55 hours! It's never been like this!"

Except that it's always been like this and it always will be.

So in September, Saturday games are tough to make. Saturday morning games, which mean I then get to go to work AFTER the game, are really difficult to make.

Weeknight games? Well, I left at half time of the LA Tech game this past year not because I was disgusted by the -157 yards of offense we generated, but because I was about to pass out having gone to work at three in the morning so I could leave early enough to make kickoff.

But I understand that I'm just one guy, and I don't matter in the grand scheme on these things. I'll suffer through it until I realize my dream of bringing in my retirement account a la the mega millions.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

we could always shift conference schedule talk to rumors about whether Jameis Winston was actually on campus to watch his girlfriend play basketball, or was he talking to Mac about possibly riding our bench next year...so that he could have a brilliant senior season handing the ball off to our RB's

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here's my prediction for the schedule (I did the entire conference but I won't waste your time with that and just give you UNT)

JUST MY PREDICTIONS, we'll see if they actually come true :)

9/5 vs. Rice (It was the only solution I could find for that opening weekend, no one should start the season with a bye)

9/12 at SMU

9/19 OPEN

9/26 at Iowa

10/3 at Marshall

10/10 vs. Portland State

10/17 vs. UTEP

10/24 at Middle Tennessee

10/31 at Louisiana Tech (although I wish we could host another Halloween game, just couldn't work it out)

11/7 vs. Old Dominion

11/14 at Tennessee

11/21 at Southern Miss

11/28 vs. UTSA (since they INSIST on making this a rivalry, I had no choice)

• Upvote 6

Here's my prediction for the schedule (I did the entire conference but I won't waste your time with that and just give you UNT)

9/5 vs. Rice (It was the only solution I could find for that opening weekend, no one should start the season with a bye)

9/12 at SMU

9/19 OPEN

9/26 at Iowa

10/3 at Marshall

10/10 vs. Portland State

10/17 vs. UTEP

10/31 at Louisiana Tech (although I wish we could host another Halloween game, just couldn't work it out)

11/7 vs. Old Dominion

11/14 at Tennessee

11/21 at Southern Miss

not sure I see more than 2 wins with that schedule. Hope DMac pulls a rabbit out of somewhere on recruiting day

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

9/12 at SMU

9/19 OPEN

9/26 at Iowa

10/3 at Marshall

10/10 vs. Portland State

10/17 vs. UTEP

11/7 vs. Old Dominion

11/14 at Tennessee

11/21 at Southern Miss

That is some great scheduling right there.

I know you have researched this, so I'll take this as a very educated guess. A 3 game road swing (who does that in college football?), and then two 2 game road swings.

Recipe for disaster.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I know you have researched this, so I'll take this as a very educated guess. A 3 game road swing (who does that in college football?), and then two 2 game road swings.

Recipe for disaster.

If we open with Rice (seems at least decently likely) and end with UTSA at home (even more likely, almost a certainty), that means, with the 10 remaining games in the middle, you're looking at 3 home games against 7 road games. So road swings are very much inevitable.
  • Upvote 1

Recipe for disaster.

Yeah it's hard to work with this schedule. At least there's a bye week in between those three road games. I tried my best to avoid long streaks of road games for everyone. But with 5 home games compared to 7 road games, that's not easy.

• 2 weeks later...

- C-USA is obligated to release its schedule for next season to TV networks on Sunday (February 1). The 2015 schedule is expected to be released to the public early next week.

- the schedules weren’t discussed during this week’s meetings, but "it was a subject in hallway meetings and over dinner."

- The 2015 season is problematic because there are only 13 weeks in which to play 12 games – one less than usual. One model C-USA officials appear to favor would have conference schools play the same schedule as last season, with the sites reversed. In that scenario, Charlotte would play UAB’s schedule.

- C-USA’s bowl lineup will shift slightly. C-USA teams will meet a Mid-American Conference team in the Bahamas Bowl, a Big 12 team in the Heart of Dallas Bowl, a Mountain West team in the Gildan New Mexico Bowl, a Sun Belt team in the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl and an American Athletic Conference team in the Bitcoin St. Petersburg Bowl. C-USA teams went to bowls in Boca Raton and Hawaii in 2014. Those bowls shift off the conference schedule this season but will return in the future.

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/01/odu-officials-lobbied-play-unc-charlotte-2015

• Upvote 3

Don't forget that the final of those five home games is the Saturday after Thanksgiving when all the students have gone home. This schedule is a really bad one.

Good point Huff. I also wish they could split up the texas games as pointed out by Thor. Seems like it is all or nothing every year...