'15 ATH Kevin Dillman (Denton Guyer)

BillySee58

A few observations:

I'm decidedly less enthusiastic about Dillman if they intend to play him anywhere other than QB. I read through most of these posts, and I didn't see one person mention the idea of redshirting him as a QB and developing his fundamentals and his knowledge of the playbook, then let him compete next spring. But I did see a few people talk about how crowded the QB position is, as if the redshirt option is simply not in play in their minds.

Also, to those who are pining away for more D-line help: quality D-line recruits are a problem for most mid-major programs. High schools just aren't developing them as much anymore, and the ones that are worth a poot usually go to power 5 schools. This is only going to get worse as FBS college football becomes more and more of a two-tier system. Incidentally, I think D-line is an absolutely awful idea for Dillman.

Lastly, can we possibly get a fix on exactly how big Dillman really is? Everyone seems to agree on 6'4", but I've seen his weight range from 205 (on ESPN), to 220 (Dallas Morning News), to 230, 235, and as much as 243 (all on this blog). It seems like every post I see about him, he's put on somewhere between 5 and 15 lbs. I'm fully expecting in about a week for him to weigh 328 and be in the conversation for starting left guard.

I've been saying a redshirt would be a great thing for him. Technically I've said it in other threads about Dillman, but if you read a quote I posted on my thread, first post on page 2 of this thread, it's a self quote from another thread where I said he would need a redshirt if he played QB. I also mentioned it a lot in the football forum thread where he committed.

But I agree with you. As for his weight, he posted a picture on twitter of him standing on the scale and it weighing 235. They said he was between 240 and 243 after he committed, so I'd imagine he's around 240. The other listings are old, from when he was at La Mirada.

• Upvote 2

We can cry all we want about how hard it is to get quality DLine, but coffee is for closers. Since I have followed NT football the last 20 years, every year the DLine has been good to great we have gone bowling. When the DLine has not been good (about 15 of those 20 years) we have been a losing program. It is as simple as that. Don't tell me about the pain, just show me the baby.

Another concern with Dillman, that hasn't really been mentioned, is that over 4 years, Dillman has played less than 15 football games total (varsity AND sub-varsity). He missed a few games because of eligibility issues, but most of the games he missed was because of one injury after another. This kid hasn't been able to keep his body healthy on the field against high school athletes. How will he hold up when everyone on the field is even bigger, faster and stronger?

To sum up this recruit: he is a good kid, smart and hard-working from a high school program we need to pull players from. He has great size, speed and strength. A few years ago, based on his measurables and projections, he was deemed one of the best QB prospects in the country. For a host of reasons (injuries, eligibility, he throws the ball like a shot put) and despite playing for one of the best developers of high school QB talent in the country, Dillman failed to develop as a QB and will need to learn to play another position. That is his HS coach's opinion, the opinion of all the prestigious college coaches that once recruited him, that is Mac's opinion and most importantly that is Dillman's own opinion as he is not hanging on to the idea that he is a QB and has jumped headfirst into becoming a TE.

The Kevin Dillman we are getting is not the Five Star QB prospect with offers from the best programs in the country. Our Kevin Dillman is a Two Star recruit at best with no other offers. I am glad he is part of this class and am rooting for him to be a productive player and he is certainly a very interesting story to watch develop, but no one should be pointing to Dillman as the jewel of this class.

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've been saying a redshirt would be a great thing for him. Technically I've said it in other threads about Dillman, but if you read a quote I posted on my thread, first post on page 2 of this thread, it's a self quote from another thread where I said he would need a redshirt if he played QB. I also mentioned it a lot in the football forum thread where he committed.

But I agree with you. As for his weight, he posted a picture on twitter of him standing on the scale and it weighing 235. They said he was between 240 and 243 after he committed, so I'd imagine he's around 240. The other listings are old, from when he was at La Mirada.

Yes, to be clear, I read through most, not all. I'm sure the thought of redshirting him had occurred to someone, I just didn't see it. You seem pretty level-headed and knowledgeable, so it comes as no surprise that you've mentioned it in other places.

We can cry all we want about how hard it is to get quality DLine, but coffee is for closers. Since I have followed NT football the last 20 years, every year the DLine has been good to great we have gone bowling. When the DLine has not been good (about 15 of those 20 years) we have been a losing program. It is as simple as that. Don't tell me about the pain, just show me the baby.

Another concern with Dillman, that hasn't really been mentioned, is that over 4 years, Dillman has played less than 15 football games total (varsity AND sub-varsity). He missed a few games because of eligibility issues, but most of the games he missed was because of one injury after another. This kid hasn't been able to keep his body healthy on the field against high school athletes. How will he hold up when everyone on the field is even bigger, faster and stronger?

To sum up this recruit: he is a good kid, smart and hard-working from a high school program we need to pull players from. He has great size, speed and strength. A few years ago, based on his measurables and projections, he was deemed one of the best QB prospects in the country. For a host of reasons (injuries, eligibility, he throws the ball like a shot put) and despite playing for one of the best developers of high school QB talent in the country, Dillman failed to develop as a QB and will need to learn to play another position. That is his HS coach's opinion, the opinion of all the prestigious college coaches that once recruited him, that is Mac's opinion and most importantly that is Dillman's own opinion as he is not hanging on to the idea that he is a QB and has jumped headfirst into becoming a TE.

The Kevin Dillman we are getting is not the Five Star QB prospect with offers from the best programs in the country. Our Kevin Dillman is a Two Star recruit at best with no other offers. I am glad he is part of this class and am rooting for him to be a productive player and he is certainly a very interesting story to watch develop, but no one should be pointing to Dillman as the jewel of this class.

There seems to be conflicting reports on the reasons why this kid has been listed as an athlete and not a QB. In any case, I think coach Mac would be certifiably insane to not at least take a look at him there. He was considered to be 5-star talent at that position at one time, and as far as we know, 0-star talent at any other position (especially one like DE, where he's played exactly 0 snaps). Those are the facts. I think rating him even at 2 stars at any position other than QB is comical. At any position other than QB, he might as well be a walk on. At any position other than QB, he's not only NOT the jewel of this class, he's not even worth mentioning at all.

By the way, you're the only person anywhere that's even suggested he couldn't cut it at QB for poor throwing skills. At least anywhere that I've seen. I've only seen glowing reviews of his footwork and arm strength.

Edited by jquincy

Regardless of which position he ends up playing he has all the tools to be an impact player at the CUSA level. This is one of the commits I'm most excited about because he has a high ceiling.

From his ESPN scouting report: "A tremendous athlete who projects to be a productive player at the next level at multiple positions."

• Upvote 1

Athlete

Tight End

Edited by BillySee58