New UNT DC will be Chris Cosh per ESPN Brett McMurphy

Mean_Green09

interesting Tid Bits

Friedgen praised Cosh's recruiting but showed public frustration with Cosh's in-game coaching.[4]

On December 6, 2008 it was announced that Cosh would return to Kansas State for a second time under coach Snyder (when Snyder decided to come out of retirement to help the Wildcats) as assistant head coach (to Snyder) and co-defensive coordinator alongside Vic Koenning.[1][5]

Cosh will have now served as a defensive coordinator in five of the six BCS conferences (Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big 12, and Big East).[1]

On January 18, 2012, Cosh was announced as the new defensive coordinator at the University of South Florida.[6][7]

interesting Tid Bits

Friedgen praised Cosh's recruiting but showed public frustration with Cosh's in-game coaching.[4]

On December 6, 2008 it was announced that Cosh would return to Kansas State for a second time under coach Snyder (when Snyder decided to come out of retirement to help the Wildcats) as assistant head coach (to Snyder) and co-defensive coordinator alongside Vic Koenning.[1][5]

Cosh will have now served as a defensive coordinator in five of the six BCS conferences (Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big 12, and Big East).[1]

On January 18, 2012, Cosh was announced as the new defensive coordinator at the University of South Florida.[6][7]

The 2000 turnaround was one of the highlights of Cosh’s career, and so was his role in helping then-South Carolina defensive coordinator Charlie Strong popularize the 3-3-5 defensive scheme. (Strong now is head coach at Texas.) Holtz asked Strong, Cosh and aide John Gutekunst to explore the 3-3-5 that Mississippi State had begun to use.

“We were three guys sitting in a room who knew nothing about it,” Cosh said. “But we implemented it, blindly went into it, and loved it.”

Executed properly and with the right personnel, the 3-3-5 can provide a good run front against spread offenses because of the versatility of the linebackers and two “low-zone” safeties to react to runs. Against the pass, the safeties are better tacklers against receiver screens, and it offers the same uncertainty as a 3-4 front in terms of who is rushing the passer.

“It lets you use different body types too, more safety types,” Cosh said. “It gets you more speed on the field.”

• Upvote 3

Pretty nice resume. But there are a few causes for concern:

1. The happy feet. Other than 5 years at Illinois, three years is the max anyone has received from him.

2. After being DC, he has always moved DOWN into a lower job. People apparently aren't saying, "Look at what a great job Chris Cosh has done as DC--let's hire him away."

3. I don't think he's a recruiter. I've quickly perused Rivals recruiting databases, and he is not even mentioned as one of the recruiters on the staff.

4. Not much name recognition. The name sounded vaguely familiar to me, but I've been pretty much a college football junkie for years. I knew Skladany before he came a whole lot better than I knew this guy. Which is okay--but there are advantages to hiring someone that's going to get people talking about the program in a positive way, and whom high school coaches and recruits will know when he walks in the door.

Anyway, the decision is made. I hope he does great.

• Upvote 1

The 2000 turnaround was one of the highlights of Cosh’s career, and so was his role in helping then-South Carolina defensive coordinator Charlie Strong popularize the 3-3-5 defensive scheme. (Strong now is head coach at Texas.) Holtz asked Strong, Cosh and aide John Gutekunst to explore the 3-3-5 that Mississippi State had begun to use.

“We were three guys sitting in a room who knew nothing about it,” Cosh said. “But we implemented it, blindly went into it, and loved it.”

Executed properly and with the right personnel, the 3-3-5 can provide a good run front against spread offenses because of the versatility of the linebackers and two “low-zone” safeties to react to runs. Against the pass, the safeties are better tacklers against receiver screens, and it offers the same uncertainty as a 3-4 front in terms of who is rushing the passer.

“It lets you use different body types too, more safety types,” Cosh said. “It gets you more speed on the field.”

Surely we won't be going to a 3-3-5, not with Coach Mac in charge . . . right?

With the depth at LB we have why not go to the 3-3-5 i would like another experience DB to come aboard to feel extremely comfortable but hey maybe Buyers could be one of these guys at the SS position. Then maybe we can play that Juco linebacker from last year Akiaa?? also Anthony Wallace would be better suited as that mike because he has a little bit of weight to take on those guards

I don't see any connection between Mac and this guy but there is a very strong connection with this guy and Bill Snyder. This guy has seen a lot and has coached for a long time at some big schools. I'm not worried about his moving around some much since many coaches do that. Early on he was moving up the coaching ladder and then twice Bill Snyder "recruited" him to coach at KSU.

I like the hire ... hopefully it works out.

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 3

From ESPN on 1-19-2012:

Chris Cosh is headed to South Florida.

has hired
assistant Chris Cosh to be its defensive coordinator, reuniting him with coach Skip Holtz.

Cosh served as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach for the Wildcats since 2009. Kansas State improved in a big way in 2011, cutting almost 100 yards per game off of its rushing defense to rank 37th nationally.

Holtz and Cosh worked together as assistants at South Carolina under Lou Holtz from 1999-2003. In all, Cosh has been a defensive coordinator for 15 of his 28 seasons as an assistant, with stops as well at Maryland, Michigan State and Illinois.

From ESPN 12-4-2011:

Bill Snyder deserves the national coach of the year nod, and the Wildcats have had a defensive renaissance under coordinator Chris Cosh in 2011. This is the same team that gave up more than 3,000 rushing yards last year. Well, sort of. It's not quite the same team. Linebacker Arthur Brown doesn't miss very many tackles and he's one of the Big 12's speediest linebackers. Cornerback Nigel Malone picked off seven passes this year for an All-Big 12 caliber season.