Houston hires OSU's Tom Herman

Harry

The 39-year-old Herman, a Cincinnati native, spent the first 10 years of his career coaching in the state of Texas before becoming offensive coordinator at Iowa State (2009-11).

He has been quarterbacks coach and playcaller for Ohio State teams that have gone 36-3 the past three seasons. The Buckeyes rank fifth in the nation in yards per play this season and finished fifth in yards per play last season.

Under Herman, Buckeyes quarterback Braxton Miller was the Big Ten Player of the Year in 2012 and 2013. Redshirt freshman quarterback J.T. Barrett stepped in this season after Miller was injured in the preseason, and Herman helped developed him into a Heisman Trophy contender. Barrett set a conference record for touchdowns responsible for this season before going down with a season-ending injury against Michigan.

The next week, Ohio State won the Big Ten championship game and locked up a playoff spot with a 59-0 victory against Wisconsin with backup quarterback Cardale Jones leading the offense.

Last week, Herman won the Broyles Award as the top assistant coach in college football. Herman is an outstanding recruiter, and played a major role in helping Ohio State land a commitment from five-star quarterback Torrance Gibson of Plantation (Fla.) American Heritage.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12034332/houston-cougars-hire-ohio-state-buckeyes-oc-tom-herman-head-coach

There are a lot of schools in Texas for coaches to gain ties! I think there are more football coaching jobs in Texas than any other state.

Having Texas ties can help recruiting in the first year, but a coach whom has never worked in the state can learn to recruit here in a year if he's willing to work at it.

SYup, sems pretty basic to me. Like simply treating people with respect and being truthful up front. To me that includeds checking the BIG ego at the door before saying a thing. But I could be wrong?

Rick

• Downvote 1

Add in offensive minded

I do kinda wonder. As far as I understand it, virtually every high school in the state puts 100% of its best athletes on offense. Defense seems to be a real cultural afterthought. So we bring in this defensively minded coach (which I'm a theoretical fan) who recruits defensive players, who are the second tier athletes of their high schools.

Caveat: I don't know a damn thing about recruiting or Texas, and I avoid ties as much as physically possible. I also just took a bite of some fancy pecan pie that came in an even fancier wood box, and it nearly blew my skull of the base of my neck because it was so intensely sweet. Me and sugar, not so much.

I do kinda wonder. As far as I understand it, virtually every high school in the state puts 100% of its best athletes on offense. Defense seems to be a real cultural afterthought. So we bring in this defensively minded coach (which I'm a theoretical fan) who recruits defensive players, who are the second tier athletes of their high schools.

Caveat: I don't know a damn thing about recruiting or Texas, and I avoid ties as much as physically possible. I also just took a bite of some fancy pecan pie that came in an even fancier wood box, and it nearly blew my skull of the base of my neck because it was so intensely sweet. Me and sugar, not so much.

Goode Co. BBQ pecan pie?