'15 JUCO QB DaMarcus Smith

NT03

OK.

Now we're talking. Maybe Chico (or whoever was recruiting him) already had the ball rolling when he notified Mr. Riddle about not taking a HS QB.

He's certainly stepping into a nice situation. He'll have weapons all around him.

Move Harris to the slot, and get those Carthage boys on the outsides. Really looking forward to some more Wilson next year, and Marcus Smith started to show some life last season.

I'm also not as worried about the OL unless Rice & Epps are both busts. Kirby returns @ Center. One of last year's best recruits was Chris Miles, who just completed his RS year. He could be an answer at one Tackle spot. Then, you're looking at Rentfro, Banogu & Trussell on the other side. I think we'll be OK.

Just needed a QB who can execute Chico's playbook to the point where it doesn't need to be chopped down to extremely conservative plays in order to 'protect the football'.

I may have said this before, but I think people have this idea that it was either Riddle or no one at qb for this class. Riddle was not the only qb we were recruiting, and we even had some come on visits. These qbs didn't have to fly and spend money on airfare, so it's not safe to assume they were ahead of Riddle simply because they were told to visit. Notably Will Collins from Oklahoma, who did end up committing to ULM.

Also, this JUCO offer has nothing to do with our recruiting (or lack off recruiting) of a high school qb this year. We just weren't taking a HS qb this year. Getting a JUCO who will come in as a RS junior really does not affect high school qb recruiting.

But yeah, I'm really liking this offense. I'm not concerned about Rice being a bust since he's already started half a season as a true sophomore for SMU. Our offense is going to have to win us games. I expect our defense to take another step back, and some research I've done suggests that as well. Not to mention breaking in a new defensive coordinator. The good news is we have some pieces who can put up big point totals.

I may have said this before, but I think people have this idea that it was either Riddle or no one at qb for this class. Riddle was not the only qb we were recruiting, and we even had some come on visits. These qbs didn't have to fly and spend money on airfare, so it's not safe to assume they were ahead of Riddle simply because they were told to visit. Notably Will Collins from Oklahoma, who did end up committing to ULM.

Also, this JUCO offer has nothing to do with our recruiting (or lack off recruiting) of a high school qb this year. We just weren't taking a HS qb this year. Getting a JUCO who will come in as a RS junior really does not affect high school qb recruiting.

But yeah, I'm really liking this offense. I'm not concerned about Rice being a bust since he's already started half a season as a true sophomore for SMU. Our offense is going to have to win us games. I expect our defense to take another step back, and some research I've done suggests that as well. Not to mention breaking in a new defensive coordinator. The good news is we have some pieces who can put up big point totals.

Right. I didn't think that, but I did take Mr. Riddle at his word when he was told not to come due to the staff deciding to NOT take a HS QB this year. So there went any HS QB, not just Riddle. When that came down, I figured they were either going JUCO (may have already had a beat on Smith), or looking for a transfer, because... SOMETHING had to be done.

I don't think the D takes a step back statistically. We allowed over 29 points a game this year. I think a new aggressive philosophy could actually hide some of our flaws. More run blitzes on obvious run downs to help the DL, more press coverage, more cover 1; in other words, more aggression from a philosophy standpoint. It could do us wonders in hiding so e of the issues we have. I think Kenny Buyers needs to be moved to nickel. I like the guy and he tackles great, but having him on the field as an every down CB is a liability. Ashton Preston COULD come in and fill that CB spot. Chad Davis and Zac Whitfield could rotate at the other CB position. We need a SS. McClain will improve and step in to that FS spot. Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1

I don't think the D takes a step back statistically. We allowed over 29 points a game this year. I think a new aggressive philosophy could actually hide some of our flaws. More run blitzes on obvious run downs to help the DL, more press coverage, more cover 1; in other words, more aggression from a philosophy standpoint. It could do us wonders in hiding so e of the issues we have. I think Kenny Buyers needs to be moved to nickel. I like the guy and he tackles great, but having him on the field as an every down CB is a liability. Ashton Preston COULD come in and fill that CB spot. Chad Davis and Zac Whitfield could rotate at the other CB position. We need a SS. McClain will improve and step in to that FS spot.

You make some very valid points there Ben. I do expect Kenny to come back strong... he's better than he played this season.

I don't think the D takes a step back statistically. We allowed over 29 points a game this year. I think a new aggressive philosophy could actually hide some of our flaws. More run blitzes on obvious run downs to help the DL, more press coverage, more cover 1; in other words, more aggression from a philosophy standpoint. It could do us wonders in hiding so e of the issues we have. I think Kenny Buyers needs to be moved to nickel. I like the guy and he tackles great, but having him on the field as an every down CB is a liability. Ashton Preston COULD come in and fill that CB spot. Chad Davis and Zac Whitfield could rotate at the other CB position. We need a SS. McClain will improve and step in to that FS spot.

could Buyers possibly be that guy at SS?

also, what about the Jackson twins...where do they slot in in the secondary?

could Buyers possibly be that guy at SS?

also, what about the Jackson twins...where do they slot in in the secondary?

We probably need another thread to talk about defense...but I dont see buyers as a ss. He can tackle, but I dont see him being a hitter. McClain has the body to be a ss.

With so many LB and based on performance, Marshall needs to go back to ss. Its hard for me to even envision next years defense until we know who the DC is and what he will run. Its going to be his show.

Buyers isn't playing SS. IF he ends up in the back end it'll be at FS. I like him in the nickel, he fits there.

One commit can change everything, especially if that commit is at QB. The O is starting to come together on paper. I'm excited to see Spring ball play out. This is big and the staff did a good job going after an obvious need and filling that need with talent. We now just have to hope they take by translates to FBS. I personally think it will. I was never sold on Greer, ever. Even before Spring ball. This guy is better, much better.

Some research I've done suggests we're going to take a step back. We don't have any all-conference caliber players. The ones who have all-conference potential are either underclassmen or haven't started yet (Chad Davis). The chances any of these guys are all-conference players next year are very slim. A defense with 0 all-conference players is going to struggle a lot. It's going to take major against-the-odds occurrences for anyone on our defense to make 1st or 2nd team. That's a scary situation to have to lean on.

It's also unlikely we'll take a step up with a new defensive coordinator. The adjustment period is going to be tough to overcome, not to mention the last guy was an above-average defensive coordinator.

I like Ashton Preston's potential, but if a true freshman who only had two FBS offers is starting, then your odds are not looking good. That's not a fair position to put Preston in right off the bat.

We probably need another thread to talk about defense...but I dont see buyers as a ss. He can tackle, but I dont see him being a hitter. McClain has the body to be a ss.

Yup. And I really liked that McClain got to play some strong safety that last game against UTSA when Lee went out. He knows the position well enough for the coaches to trust him in that situation. If we land James Scott then have him at free and McClain at strong. If we don't I think we should move Buyers to free and still have McClain at strong.

This staff really missed Noah Joseph and the work he did in the Houston area.

• Upvote 1

A quick look at his JUCO highlights and this is what I see:

Good technique. Keeps the ball up high, throwing motion solid (over the top), footwork is good. Delivery is phenomenal (a bullet!). Drives the ball well when he throws, and places it where only the receiver has a chance. Reacts quickly. Accuracy is really good from the short to intermediate throws. Has a very strong arm, and his technique indicates that his deep ball is likely accurate as well (look at how Bridgewater's deep ball has improved over this season, because of improvements to his footwork/driving the ball).

Although it remains to be seen whether he can read a defense, it is still a great get.

I am getting very excited about this offense. It's like a breath of fresh air on these boards.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 1

Scout article on his commitment. The article incorrectly says he has 3 years to play 2. It's actually 2 to play 2, since he redshirted for WKU back in 2012. It sounds like we were his only offer. No reports of any others, although can't be 100% sure.

http://northtexas.scout.com/story/1492232-butlers-smith-commits-to-north-texas

Also, fwiw, Smith given a 3-star rating of 85 on 247. He's now our highest-rated recruit on 247. He's still unrated on the other recruiting services.

Edited by BillySee58

The turning point for the Grizzlies this season could very well be at quarterback, where redshirt freshman Joel Blumenthal (6-foot-1, 190 pounds) will be at No. 1 headed into fall camp but should be pushed by the late addition of Western Kentucky transfer Damarcus Smith.

Smith, 6-1 and 210 pounds, is a dual-threat quarterback fromLouisville, Ky., who committed to Central Florida out of high school after also getting offers from Louisville, Kentucky, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Tennessee and Ohio. He never played for UCF, redshirted at WKU in 2012 and played in five games last season.

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/state-college-sports/article1147813.html

Damarcus Smith and Michael Gallup both established single-game records as No. 14 Butler won a 53-36 shootout at Dodge Cityicon1.png on Saturday afternoon at Memorial Stadium.

Smith set a Butler record for most passing yards in a game with 526 while Michael Gallup set the record for most receiving yards in a game with 287. Smith threw for five touchdowns in the game, while Gallup had three receiving touchdowns.

The duo also teamed up for one of the longest plays in Butler history – a 96-yard touchdown in the second quarter.

"Damarcus was great. He had a lot of time to sit back and throw today and has a lot of receivers who can stretch the field." Butler coach Troy Morrell said. "Michael Gallup was phenomenal, too. He caught some screens and was breaking tackles. He is a dynamic player and he is just a freshman. He is going to be special. They were a dangerous combo today."

Read more: http://www.kwch.com/sports/smith-gallup-set-records-as-butler-defeats-dodge/29072258

Holy cow, I just looked at his offer list out of HS. This kid has bounced around sure, but there is no arguing the fact that he has talent. That many schools don't take a chance on a guy who does not have the talent. I am curious how many of those offered him a QB spot vs Receiver or DB. I am really excited to see what he can do for us next year.

Holy cow, I just looked at his offer list out of HS. This kid has bounced around sure, but there is no arguing the fact that he has talent. That many schools don't take a chance on a guy who does not have the talent. I am curious how many of those offered him a QB spot vs Receiver or DB. I am really excited to see what he can do for us next year.

From what I have seen he was strictly offered as QB coming out of HS.

• 3 weeks later...