Who's Gonna Care?

Green P1

Ryan, how long have you been around North Texas athletics?

If you've only known the Mean Green for, say, 5 years...Then 2013 is 20% of your experience. Not knowing you, I am just guessing this is where you're at and why you think so much of a single season.

However, if you're going on 10, 20, hell 50! years of fandom, you've seen a lot of ups and downs and one season is only a blip. These fans have seen tons and tons of bad football with blips of success. It's much easier to perceive 2013 as a possible bump in a rough road if you've traveled this path before.

• Upvote 2

Does anyone think that last year about this time the Texas Christian University Horny toads were happy with the direction of their program? What was their record last year? They damned near if not for some bad luck and some bad defense at the end of the Baylor game walked into the 4 team tournament this year. We should all tap the brakes a little on football....

Basketball.......another story.

Right, and exactly what did TCU do? They realized there were problems with their offense and brought in an OC that shook things up and changed the course of the program.

Patterson was smart enough to back away from the offense. It doesn't appear Mac has the same introspective talents.

Same ole same ole next year will get the same results.

And that is unfortunate.

#clownshowlookingforwardto70percentrunsonfirstdown

Edited by UNT90

Does anyone think that last year about this time the Texas Christian University Horny toads were happy with the direction of their program? What was their record last year? They damned near if not for some bad luck and some bad defense at the end of the Baylor game walked into the 4 team tournament this year. We should all tap the brakes a little on football....

Basketball.......another story.

I'll "enhance" NT80's response.

The most glaring difference between our program and TCU's is that when TCU has a down year they have some solid history that they can look back on and know that things wil turn around.....because it has. They also have at least two signature bowl wins in which to "reminisce" about. One of them being the granddaddy of all bowls.

1998 Sun USC 28-19 W

1999 Mobile Alabama East Carolina 28-14 W

2000 Mobile Alabama Southern Miss 21-28 L

2001 Galleryfurniture.com Texas A&M 9-28 L

2002 Liberty Colorado State 17-3 W

2003 Fort Worth Boise State 31-34 L

2005 Houston Iowa State 27-24 W

2006 Poinsettia Northern Illinois 37-7 W

2007 Texas Houston 20-13 W

2008 Poinsettia Boise State 17-16 W

2009 Fiesta Boise State 10-17 L

2010 Rose Wisconsin 21-19 W

2011 Poinsettia Louisiana Tech 31-24 W

2012 Buffalo Wild Wings Michigan State 16-17 L

Our signature win is still the win over Tennessee in 1975.....and the argument that we really beat Texas in 88.

Let me be clear about something. I am NEVER down on my University. When I am down about the program, it's about the decision makers that have been hired to make the decisions about our sports program.

You know, the idiots that didn't want to hire Bill Brasher when Fry left. The idiots that hired Bob Tyler when they could have hired Corkey Nelson a year earlier. The idiots that fired Corkey Nelson and hired Dennis Parker instead of giving Paul Johnson a shot at the job. The idiots that Hired Helwig as our AD. The idiots that hired Darrell Dickey without interviewing other candidates.

And the parade just goes on and on.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

Let me be clear about something. I am NEVER down on my University. When I am down about the program, it's about the decision makers that have been hired to make the decisions about our sports program.

You know, the idiots that didn't want to hire Bill Brasher when Fry left. The idiots that hired Bob Tyler when they could have hired Corkey Nelson a year earlier. The idiots that fired Corkey Nelson and hired Dennis Parker instead of giving Paul Johnson a shot at the job. The idiots that Hired Helwig as our AD. The idiots that hired Darrell Dickey without interviewing other candidates.

And the parade just goes on and on.

This is exactly correct.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Right, and exactly what did TCU do? They realized there were problems with their offense and brought in an OC that shook things up and changed the course of the program.

Patterson was smart enough to back away from the offense. It doesn't appear Mac has the same introspective talents.

Same ole same ole next year will get the same results.

And that is unfortunate.

#clownshowlookingforwardto70percentrunsonfirstdown

Exactly. I nearly fell over when Patterson made the statement in that press conference and stated as to why he was taking his program in the completely opposite direction offensively. I said to myself right here and then,...."He's now become one of the GREAT college football coaches of all time". Because he's willing to change and adapt.

Solid post by Silver above as well.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm not sure that one is great support for your point.

Only if you thought he was a great coach and a perfect fit here. I would have liked to have seen who else would have lined up for the job. Perhaps another Jim Levitt-like coach. You know, the coach that owned DD with a start-up program.

Darrell Dickey can thank the combination of poor decision making by the New Mexico State coach (handing off instead of taking a knee) on 11-3-01, and the hard hitting of Craig Jones. Plus the unprecedented vote to wave a non-6 win season(because we couldn't beat 1-AA Troy) for his job.