Thoughts on C-USA UAB Replacement Timing

Harry

Why it could happen quickly

They have already done all of their due diligence on these teams through the past couple of expansions/replacements. They know what is going on facility wise at say ULL or Arky State etc.. they don't need additional binders and site visits unless its a new team to the mix like say Liberty etc..

Why would you wait to add a team you know you need to add if adding them would help the team in recruiting? The sooner you can make the announcement the better it will help whatever team it is to finish up their recruiting class...

You have a good window of media time attention between when the bowls are announced and they are actually played. It's a pretty dead time news wise.

C-USA took a hit with the loss of UAB and the quicker you make a decision the sooner you put the UAB thing behind you

Why it could take longer:

The C-USA office will be busy with the bowl games and they have new ones etc.. plus it's the holidays...

I think there could be some battles over ULL and Texas State from La. Tech and UTSA... I just don't think that giving a recruiting edge to a school in your backyard will be easy to sell to programs already in C-USA that you are trying to lift up.

Certain C-USA programs have been around longer than others and thus have more leverage, ie Marshall and Southern Miss.

The networks could be delaying clarity on which schools would impact the new contract.

They may already know who they want but Benson (or another conference commissioner) is asking for more time so he can evaluate his replacement...

Can't go wrong with the big 3: ASU, TSU or ULL. Liberty will be a beast in the future much like BYU or Baylor way down the line. I don't want them now but they will continue to make their push onto the scene with all that private money.

GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Can't go wrong with the big 3: ASU, TSU or ULL. Liberty will be a beast in the future much like BYU or Baylor way down the line. I don't want them now but they will continue to make their push onto the scene with all that private money.

GMG

..and all that educational enlightenment. Banowsky better be ready to sign that document that he believes the earth is only 6000 years old before Liberty will agree to join the conference.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I just think Arkansas State is the easiest to get into the conference right now, since they don't have anyone who wants them blocked.

I think ULL would be a great pick, equal to A-State, but they have a school in their state (La Tech) that could block them--and their history suggest they will in a heartbeat.

Texas State would be a good pickup for the Texas CUSA schools, but they have no appeal to the schools in the east, UTSA may not want to compete with them like UTP looks at NMSU or SMU looks at us, and they haven't really won anything yet in the SBC to think they are ready to move up to CUSA now like the other two have.

South Alabama is probably more likely than Texas State or ULL, though...

• Upvote 1

Why it could take longer:

The networks could be delaying clarity on which schools would impact the new contract.

That would likely be a big factor. With the current deal expiring next season, I would be surprised if there aren't already negotiations underway and this has to be a complicating factor that will require looking at 13, 14, and 16 team models. I would expect the deal is still in the exclusive negotiation window so right now CUSA cannot talk to anyone but Fox, CBS, and Sinclair for input without violating the contract (a mistake CUSA made when it left ESPN and had to give the title game to ESPN to settle the lawsuit).

I would further expect there would be a look at what various schools would do for strength of schedule calculations given the fact that the selection committee ranked Marshall below Boise before Marshall lost. Each step in the performance bonus scale is worth $1.6 million and selection to the access bowl is worth $6 million.

• Upvote 1

In another thread somebody mentioned army being added but stated that their other programs would not want to leave the patriot league. Since UAB basketball is decent we could keep UAB and replace their football with Army's football program.

That is an unlikely outcome. There are four CUSA schools that have greater reliance of school subsidies (direct transfers and student fees) than UAB had. While I would expect none of FIU 77.54% ODU 73.35% MTSU 70.89% FAU 67.61% are close to dropping football, a dip in enrollment coupled with falling state funding could create a financial crisis and if they have a different administration than they currently do, they might change direction.

You just don't want to set the precedent that you can drop football and everything will be OK.

• Upvote 1

This conference is pathetic. I just feel sorry for all the schools that were in the previous CUSA and got stuck in the "new" CUSA.

Those that stayed in CUSA had no choice. Rice wasn't going anywhere because of UH. Marshall and Southern Miss have no TV market. And UTEP is out in the middle of nowhere, but they prefer to be in a Texas-based league, something they hadn't had until the SWC disbanded and SMU, TCU, and RIce joined them. They found that they have several alumni in DFW and in Houston that would show up and support the Miners.

That's why its SBC 2.0

In the end, it doesn't really matter anyway--we were never going to be a P5 team (even if we wanted) because the deck was too stacked against us. Sure, it sounds like it would be fun to play in the AAC instead of CUSA, but would it really be that much different in football than it is now? Replace our divsion mates in CUSA with Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, and Memphis, In the other division, we would play three teams out of this group: Cincy, Temple, UConn, USF, ECU, and USF. It sounds good to us on gmg.com, but if we had the season we just had, we wouldn't draw 20k fans to see us play any of those teams, either.

I just look forward to the day when the P5s split away, forcing the G5s and the FCS startups to figure out a better system for their level.

• Upvote 1

Those that stayed in CUSA had no choice. Rice wasn't going anywhere because of UH. Marshall and Southern Miss have no TV market. And UTEP is out in the middle of nowhere, but they prefer to be in a Texas-based league, something they hadn't had until the SWC disbanded and SMU, TCU, and RIce joined them. They found that they have several alumni in DFW and in Houston that would show up and support the Miners.

That's why its SBC 2.0

In the end, it doesn't really matter anyway--we were never going to be a P5 team (even if we wanted) because the deck was too stacked against us. Sure, it sounds like it would be fun to play in the AAC instead of CUSA, but would it really be that much different in football than it is now? Replace our divsion mates in CUSA with Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, and Memphis, In the other division, we would play three teams out of this group: Cincy, Temple, UConn, USF, ECU, and USF. It sounds good to us on gmg.com, but if we had the season we just had, we wouldn't draw 20k fans to see us play any of those teams, either.

I just look forward to the day when the P5s split away, forcing the G5s and the FCS startups to figure out a better system for their level.

A system that makes sense, since a successful G5 won't ever stand a chance in a P5 dominant football league.

A system that makes sense, since a successful G5 won't ever stand a chance in a P5 dominant football league.

Exactly. Do something different. Get the 60 G5 teams that get left behind, add in the top 12 FCS schools, and then you have 6 12-team conferences. Take those 12 team conferences, divide into divsions of 6, and the you play 2 teams from the other division, for 7 conference games. Then, for the remaining 5 OOC games, you play a team from each other conference that finished the previous year in the same place you finished. IOW, UNT finishes 8th in our conference, we play the 1st, 4th, 5th, and 9th place team (as deemed by the conference itself, so there is no question). Then, you play a 16 team FCS playoff in December--the first three rounds are at the highest ranked teams places, then the championship at a neutral site, like it is now.

There is just no way to compete for the long-term as a group since the lines are drawn by those in power to keep us out. They control everything, from legislatures to media to access to the best talent. Right now, a bone gets thrown to Boise State to play Arizona in the FIesta Bowl, which is nice. Plus, they got a bid this time without having to go unbeaten as they had to in the past. But, in th ened, Boise State's players, coaches, and fans know that they cannot use this bowl game to jumpstart them toward a playoff appearance next season because the MWC is excluded. But, let's say in my hypothetical that Boise State was #1 in the G5 poll, followed by Marshall, Memphis, Colorado State, Northern Illinois, Air Force, Cincy, and UCF. That would be the group that reached the quarterfinals with wins over the other playoff teams they played in the first Saturday of December. This weekend, UCF would be at Boise State, Cincy @ Marshall, AFA @ Memphis, and NIU @ CSU. Except for the Army-Navy game, this would be your only college games on Saturday. The next week, its CSU @ BSU and Memphis @ Marshall in the semifinals. Then, find the date on the calendar that doesn't interrupt with the big bowls or the NFL and play a prime-time championship game at a great venue in the middle of the country, like Arrowhead Stadium in KC or a destination city like New Orleans or San Antonio in the middle of the country.

I'd watch every bit of it. I wouldn't watch the Potato bowl between 6-6 Illinois and 6-6 Texas Tech or 7-5 Washington and 7-5 Ole Miss play each other in the Emerald Bowl, but I'd be very interested in Boise State playing Marshall right now in a championship game.

• Upvote 3

. Sure, it sounds like it would be fun to play in the AAC instead of CUSA, but would it really be that much different in football than it is now? Replace our divsion mates in CUSA with Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, and Memphis, In the other division, we would play three teams out of this group: Cincy, Temple, UConn, USF, ECU, and USF. It sounds good to us on gmg.com, but if we had the season we just had, we wouldn't draw 20k fans to see us play any of those teams, either.

It's not a better football draw....but it is for almost every other sport, especially basketball.

Exactly. Do something different. Get the 60 G5 teams that get left behind, add in the top 12 FCS schools, and then you have 6 12-team conferences. Take those 12 team conferences, divide into divsions of 6, and the you play 2 teams from the other division, for 7 conference games. Then, for the remaining 5 OOC games, you play a team from each other conference that finished the previous year in the same place you finished. IOW, UNT finishes 8th in our conference, we play the 1st, 4th, 5th, and 9th place team (as deemed by the conference itself, so there is no question). Then, you play a 16 team FCS playoff in December--the first three rounds are at the highest ranked teams places, then the championship at a neutral site, like it is now.

There is just no way to compete for the long-term as a group since the lines are drawn by those in power to keep us out. They control everything, from legislatures to media to access to the best talent. Right now, a bone gets thrown to Boise State to play Arizona in the FIesta Bowl, which is nice. Plus, they got a bid this time without having to go unbeaten as they had to in the past. But, in th ened, Boise State's players, coaches, and fans know that they cannot use this bowl game to jumpstart them toward a playoff appearance next season because the MWC is excluded. But, let's say in my hypothetical that Boise State was #1 in the G5 poll, followed by Marshall, Memphis, Colorado State, Northern Illinois, Air Force, Cincy, and UCF. That would be the group that reached the quarterfinals with wins over the other playoff teams they played in the first Saturday of December. This weekend, UCF would be at Boise State, Cincy @ Marshall, AFA @ Memphis, and NIU @ CSU. Except for the Army-Navy game, this would be your only college games on Saturday. The next week, its CSU @ BSU and Memphis @ Marshall in the semifinals. Then, find the date on the calendar that doesn't interrupt with the big bowls or the NFL and play a prime-time championship game at a great venue in the middle of the country, like Arrowhead Stadium in KC or a destination city like New Orleans or San Antonio in the middle of the country.

I'd watch every bit of it. I wouldn't watch the Potato bowl between 6-6 Illinois and 6-6 Texas Tech or 7-5 Washington and 7-5 Ole Miss play each other in the Emerald Bowl, but I'd be very interested in Boise State playing Marshall right now in a championship game.

I like your thinking!

You are right about the Marshall Boise situation. I rarely turned into a regular season SBC game if at all if it didn't involve my Mean Green. However, I was glued to the tube for that Marshall WKU game and the Marshall La Tech game for much of it. I like the outer big dog matchups too. Give me some Reno, Utah State, Marshall, ECU, WKU, UTEP and UCF every now and then and I love it. Of course growing up Mountain West when living out west helped. There was some good exciting football played out there, still is.

GMG

Want to reform the G5?

Let's start with an easy step that OUGHT to embraced by everyone.

Reform the G5 bowls.

Take a tiny baby step and take the four champs not selected for the access bowl and pit them in two bowl games. Rank 'em 1-4 and have 1 play 2 and 3 play 4. Odds of producing ranked teams goes up.

Got the courage to think a little bigger?

The five leagues starting next year have 27 ties with Navy going to AAC (28 counting access) and only six pit G5 vs. P5 (counting access).

Dump the league ties and take 22 bowl ties not hooked to the P5 and guarantee each league same number of selections they have now but flex the selections (not the stupid oh we take this league in these years and these leagues in other years) put together a selection board with commissioners, some bowl folks and TV try to put together logical games that respect geography while trying to make good games that TV sense.

Feel really courageous?

Have the stones to understand five conferences that don't move the needle much for TV negotiating TV independently is the height of stupidity.

Throw all the TV rights into one LLC to negotiate TV. The model for sharing the money was in place for around 40 years. The model the NCAA used. Each network contracted with pays first a flat fee to be part of the deal which is split equally then pays off a rate card for each game selected. The price on the rate card reflects the network carrying the game, the day of the week and the time slot. The network picking up a game writes a check to the two teams playing for the game. If you are more attractive to TV you get on, you get paid more.

TV can no longer leverage one conference against the other to force a deal by pointing out they can always get another conference that has teams in the region that will be willing to take the money.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Glad tcu didn't have the attitude we have. Neither does boise, niu, or byu. This fan base has zero expectations and the ones that do get bashed on for not being "good fans".

Who needs winning when you have an AD who can generate tears at the drop of a hat to show how much he cares?

With a guy like that at the helm, is winning REALLY that important?

All good ideas but it won't happen until G5 university presidents realize that the P5 have locked them out and will not allow any movement into the G5. Once that dream is over, the P5 can start to deal with the reality.

What should happen at that point is a class action anti trust law suit to expose all of the NCAAs dirty little monopoly and exclusionary secrets. That won't happen until P5s stop throwing the G5 a bone with the money game ass kickings.

That should be the first step before we start reclassifying ourselves and making ourselves as relevant as the McNeese States of the world.

making ourselves as relevant as the McNeese States of the world.

If nothing changes, and I kinda don't really see it happening because P5 has too much power, money, and political influence (I mean, really, Condi Rice on the selection committee?), then G5 is pretty much already there with FCS in relevancy. At least, if it isn't today, it's kinda like the guy who discovered the first section of the Titanic full of water and announced that it was a mathematical certainty that the ship was going down.

So G5 has a choice. Fight it tooth and nail, or get the band together for one last song before a watery death envelops us all. I kinda see the latter happening since this is really a tiny David vs. insurmountable Goliath fight at this point. They chose to let that happen back in the 1A/1AA split and television deregulation. The big boys have never looked back.

So what do I as a fan of little David do? I really don't know except that there will be beer involved.