New Wrinkle in Realignment

Arkstfan

Yep , getting weaker, just two football teams in the top six .

...and getting left out of the playoff! Love it.

Nobody will care who finished 5th or below, the Big?12 has no respect.

Until the National playoff takes in all Conference Champs and a couple at-large entries (16 total) into the fake playoff the debate has simply shifted from who is National Champ to who should have been #4 seed.

I'd like to see that myself. It would be a tacit acknowledgement that our conferences are never getting invited to the party, but it would give our best teams each season some recognition.

It worked for the old AFL....then the NFL decided to merge and have a "SuperBowl".....

What is left of the semi-amateur portion of college football need to regionalize and compete for a national championship in football.

Establish regional rivalries that build into a national championship and figure out how to monetize. We HAVE to monetize this thing.

Then let every other sport group into conferences that are in each sport's best interest.

GMG

But isn't that called FCS?

• Upvote 2

The funny thing is that Florida State is probably worse than all 3 of those teams. . . . But obviously you can't leave an undefeated "P5" team out of the playoff.

Whatever happens, I think we will see renewed incentive from the big boys for expanding the playoff--and that's a good thing.

No, you won't.

The big boys are perfectly happy that Baylor and TCU were left out. It's what they wanted.

Now, if the committee hasn't done the NCAA's daddy, ESPN, a solid and had left put Ohio St., THEN the big boys would have been upset.

• Upvote 1

All is right in the world when the frog gets squashed. The committee got it right. Big 12 needs to expand with BYU and Boise or BYU and Cincy or BYU and Houston.

Smastrek has to be looking at this long-term - how can we leap into AAC or MWC should an opening occur. San Diego St is being bantered about as well. If Big 12 takes BYU and SDSU or Boise and SDSU the MWC could become a very interesting option. Again package us with UTSA - North Texas/South Texas here we come.

GMG

• Upvote 1

Do the schools not get a say in where they go?

Wouldn't the Big?12's future revenue be better than the ACC's? That's actually a better pairing than I've seen proposed before.

Schools have a say if they are invited. If you are ESPN are you going to pay Big XII more for Clemson and FSU when you own those rights already via the ACC and are obligated to pay the ACC for those games even though they are in Big XII? Cincy and Memphis bring more dollars to the Big XII because ESPN is obligated to pay ACC for the two teams no matter what league they are in.

Possibly a bad time for NT to have a horrible season. I would not be surprised if the Big12 wants to take two and one or two of those may come from the AAC. If any of the TX schools get chosen we are probably on the bottom. Rice has the best chance and UTEP is only hindered by their location. UTSA has the perception that they will be a break through program. Not good to have a season like this.

Possibly a bad time for NT to have a horrible season. I would not be surprised if the Big12 wants to take two and one or two of those may come from the AAC. If any of the TX schools get chosen we are probably on the bottom. Rice has the best chance and UTEP is only hindered by their location. UTSA has the perception that they will be a break through program. Not good to have a season like this.

It likely doesn't matter what kind of season we have. We have zero shot at getting into any P5 conference, and there's no reason for the AAC to grab us when they've got SMU. Unless SMU goes somewhere, we're probably in C-USA for good.

The Big XII is a dying conference--not because of on-field or on-court performance, but because of eyeballs. They have 10 teams, 2 of which draw huge followings in football, Texas and OU, and 1 that draws huge in mens hoops, KU. Beyond that, Tech, OSU, KSU, ISU, and WVU are all well-known programs, but their academics are lowly rated and they don't have as many eyeballs as the other schools that are in the top tier of the league. Only UT and KU are AAU schools, which appears to have major credibility with other conferences, too. TCU and Baylor are the small schools that have no national following at all. Thsi entire group is tied together until 2025, when their GOR ends.

The ACC has a GOR, too, but it is farther out, with a much higher buyout. Maryland had to pay $31 million to leave the ACC. Nobody is going to do that to come to the Big XII, where Texas is in complete charge of the league. Now that they get to play Notre Dame, too, as a pseudo conference mate, they aren't going to give that up for the Big 12.

The question to me is where everyone goes. If 16 is your magic number, then the B1G, ACC, and SEC have 6 slots left between them, and the PAC has 4 slots left. The competition for those spots isn't just the Big 12, it inculdes hihg level G5s, too. I still think the Texoma 4 will go out west. What happens after that is anyone's guess. I have always believed that Kansas and Missouri will end up in the B1G, where Mizzou wanted to go originally, and they both have Nebraska's support to help them. That would lead to K-State being a replacement for Mizzou in the SEC. Assuming that no one leaves the ACC to go the SEC or B1G, I can see the SEC also adding WVU and Cincy, since that would be new markets in new states for them, which appears to be their goal now. I can see the ACC adding UConn to get to 16, assuming Notre Dame eventually becomes a full member.

It likely doesn't matter what kind of season we have. We have zero shot at getting into any P5 conference, and there's no reason for the AAC to grab us when they've got SMU. Unless SMU goes somewhere, we're probably in C-USA for good.

Right. As long as SMU is in the AAC, and all of the conferences stay as they are, the only possible movement UNT could make would be MWC.

... the only possible movement UNT could make would be MWC.

And I'm of the mind that moving to the MWC doesn't do much of anything for UNT. So barring a decade of 10-win seasons, massive influx of cash/investment into program, and a big resurgence of basketball success, UNT is where it will remain. I can live with that.

And I'm of the mind that moving to the MWC doesn't do much of anything for UNT. So barring a decade of 10-win seasons, massive influx of cash/investment into program, and a big resurgence of basketball success, UNT is where it will remain. I can live with that.

It certainly wouldn't now--we cannot compete with CUSA schools in football. We would be near or at the bottom of the MWC right now.

The other side of the coin is that travel to those places was worth it when you had the budget for it and the talent to beat the MWC teams, like TCU did. But we won't do that on the budget side, we either can't or don't recruit talent here to beat SBCUSA teams regularly, and the fanbase likes to be able to drive to see us play in a conference game. The MWC would be my pick if we made winning THE priority in football and mens hoops, but since we don't I'll gladly settle for CUSA now. It is by far the best conference situation we have been in the last 40 years, maybe ever.

The other side of the coin is that travel to those places was worth it when you had the budget for it and the talent to beat the MWC teams, like TCU did.

The cinderella story that is TCU (and Utah) is a unique one. The landscape has changed. I don't think winning the MWC isn't any more significant than C-USA in the eyes of the playoff committee. And I'm sure our fans would be just as good at not showing up for games against CSU and SJSU as they have been for those against Rice and FAU.

• Upvote 1