BB teams deal with low attendance

NT03

Can't disagree with anything Troy said. The formula for attendance is pretty simple, win games and bring in teams people will recognize. Creighton should have decent attendance but really we need a big 12 team to come back to the Pit like tech and OK State. Seeing our basketball team beat them helped attendance the rest of the year those seasons.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

I can understand some of the problem now that I don't live in Denton anymore. I just really have no desire to drive up to Denton from Fort Worth to watch us play Mississippi Valley State. But the low student attendance is pretty sad, my freshman year student attendance was pretty damn good. It's walking distance from the dorms, we had no excuse. Of course we also knew we'd be watching good basketball.

• Upvote 1

Unbelievable? Even if this were true, which it is not, why is the SID doing his best to spread it around?

I know why, but I'm not saying.

What a dysfunctional mess we got going on up there.

Rick

That's more or less how I felt. You CANNOT have someone employed by the AD speaking like that, true or not.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 5

We know how to up attendance, but the athletic administration will not listen to us. Firefighting Rick and other members of the Athletic Top 20 knew how to do it...it could happen again, but will not with current athletic dept. attitudes regarding advise from the 'unwashed.'

• Upvote 1

We know how to up attendance, but the athletic administration will not listen to us. Firefighting Rick and other members of the Athletic Top 20 knew how to do it...it could happen again, but will not with current athletic dept. attitudes regarding advise from the 'unwashed.'

We had a great teacher who showed us the way.

Our good fans here who never knew you back then truly missed out on the power of one and what a single person could accomplish over and above the minimum effort required in their job and profession.

Every time I read stuff like this above I think back on that time when we literally had nothing to work with and were held together with bubble gum and duck tape, with nearly half the enrollment we have now, and still was able to sell out Fouts twice and brought in a crowd of over 5 to 7,000 at the Super Pit..

Rick

If I'm AD I send Capper packing after a comment such as that. No accountability on any level with this university.

How about the SGA President resigns since he thinks UNT is second tier, guess his publicity officer was in class at the time or better yet shift to the UNT Community Agitator Role since he enjoys that so much

• Upvote 3

I can understand some of the problem now that I don't live in Denton anymore. I just really have no desire to drive up to Denton from Fort Worth to watch us play Mississippi Valley State. But the low student attendance is pretty sad, my freshman year student attendance was pretty damn good. It's walking distance from the dorms, we had no excuse. Of course we also knew we'd be watching good basketball.

Yeah the Pit always had solid attendance when I'm a student. I'm surprised attendance is not better given that the students support football more than they did when I was on campus.

I guess, Benford?

• Upvote 1

I really hope the students start showing up. To me basketball is far more exciting to watch than football. We can get 8k students to show up and watch a football team lose in terrible weather. I would think we could get students to show up to a basketball game that is indoors, closer to the dorms, and at a decent time of the day. Regardless of win/loss records baskwtball is a lot more exciting to watch and the pep band is amazing. I would show up just to listen to the pep band at least for a half.

It cannot be difficult to convince people to show up to a basketball game (especially if it's your job... The athletic department). Hoping that attendance increases. I also hope the players are actively spreading the word around campus. The more people show up the more it will motivate the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1