7 Athletic Programs Ready to Become C-USA Members

ncaafanatic022

I've seen mention of Northern Illinois in some articles, because they aren't happy with the MAC. Don't think geography wise for the west though? But TX State would be a sweet addition. Maybe we could somehow cleanse the conference of FIU and pick up Louisiana Lafayette and Texas State.

If Northern Illinois were actually interested, they would trump all other possibilities, and it wouldn't be close.

• The Chicago TV market
  • Consistent winner
  • Giant killer
  • Played in BCS bowl just 2 years ago

Who else would bring any of those to nearly same degree? I know the geography isn't the greatest with NIU in C-USA, but that would fall far more on them than on anyone else...if they're willing to deal with it, I'd say let 'em.

• Upvote 6

If Northern Illinois were actually interested, they would trump all other possibilities, and it wouldn't be close.

• The Chicago TV market
  • Consistent winner
  • Giant killer
  • Played in BCS bowl just 2 years ago

Who else would bring any of those to nearly same degree? I know the geography isn't the greatest with NIU in C-USA, but that would fall far more on them than on anyone else...if they're willing to deal with it, I'd say let 'em.

Thanks for pointing those out. Sounds like a no brainer for sure.

I'll say this, though, with regard to NIU. . . . The American Conference would be sure to invite them, as it would be a huge coup for them. And the American would have more to offer NIU than C-USA.

I can see that, see I'm sure a majority of us UNT fans would rather be in the AAC. But like someone said earlier, I think CUSA should reach out to NIU and see what the response would be. There could be that chance they are interested.

Edited by GreenTexan13

"Conference USA is no stranger to adding new members; the league has seen the addition of eight new member universities over the last two years. Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky were added from the Sun Belt, with Louisiana Tech and UTSA coming from the now defunct WAC."

Humm....I guess UNT really isn't relevant to CUSA.......

ULL should be the next invite; best overall sports programs and fan support, semi-New Orleans market to replace Tulane.

I love ULL, which is possibly the best road trip around. But you can't beat 4 hours to San Marcus, plus they travel well, or they have before.

4DkMPw3.jpg

We can't go wrong with either.

Rick

ULaLa screams the best overall and logical choice, but I am like you and would have to agree with you on that TX State drive, 4 hours vs. 7. I bet the tailgating at both schools are great as well.

Texas State is new enough to where they don't have the Sun Belt stench. Also, we have a lot of history with them. Would be awesome to be in a division with all Texas schools and La Tech which is really close. I've never understood the crush that some of our fan base has on ULL and ASU.

It's because of the competitiveness and fan base ULL has, ULL packs their stadium and I would guess they travel well. When we beat them in 2012 at apogee our attendance was a little over 17,000 though. Kind of half stadium... It didn't help that we had a losing season though.

A lot of y'all don't agree with TX State. I'm curious as to why you wouldn't want them to join CUSA?

Edited by GreenTexan13

A lot of y'all don't agree with TX State. I'm curious as to why you wouldn't want them to join CUSA?

I think someone mentioned it earlier: Most think we are superior to them and that they haven't earned the right to join "our" conference since they just moved up to FBS a couple of years ago.

I'd love to have a mostly Texas conference with UNT, UTEP. Rice, UTSA, La. Tech, Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Texas St. and Houston. Not gonna happen, but I'd like it nonetheless.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I think someone mentioned it earlier: Most think we are superior to them and that they haven't earned the right to join "our" conference since they just moved up to FBS a couple of years ago.

I'd love to have a mostly Texas conference with UNT, UTEP. Rice, UTSA, La. Tech, Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Texas St. and Houston. Not gonna happen, but I'd like it nonetheless.

Yet a program (UTSA) only had a football team for two years and they deserved to be in a conference with these many decades old teams? I don't buy that excuse that TX State hasn't earned the right to be in CUSA for being FBS for 2 years, when we got a 4 year old team like UTSA and a wart of the conference FIU.

I agree with you though, that Texas conference would be cool, but it won't happen like you said. The very least TX State could come in and build up the CUSA west Texas dominated conference.

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1

Texas State is new enough to where they don't have the Sun Belt stench. Also, we have a lot of history with them. Would be awesome to be in a division with all Texas schools and La Tech which is really close. I've never understood the crush that some of our fan base has on ULL and ASU.

Did you get all the stink off you this year?

AState and ULL get mentioned because we do something really odd.

Win games.

Sell tickets.

Spend millions on facility upgrades.

Not a clue why any quality conference would lower itself to affiliate with such flawed and inferior programs.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6