7 Athletic Programs Ready to Become C-USA Members

ncaafanatic022

I would like to see CUSA add a program that the 'man-on-the-street' has heard of. I may be kidding myself that that same man has heard of North Texas but I'd like to think so nonetheless. Maybe give Tulsa, Houston, or Tulane an opportunity to come back. And, the well known program looking to join CUSA may not exist but I'd like to distance NT from the Sun Belt as best as we can. Perhaps we should just play with 13 members for a while and see who, if anybody, contacts us.

Beat somebody

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 4

Would take ULL or James Madison best fits right now.

Arky State and Tx State distant 3rd/4th

Why JMU? We don't need another move up in the conference and the East has too many already. MTSU and WKU don't want to split, and one of them would have to go West if you add JMU. I just don't think there is much to make them attractive.

Easiest: South Alabama.

Dark Horse: Liberty.

Sentimental Favorite: ULL.

Most Intriguing (for C-USA): Texas State.

Most Intriguing (for UNT): Texas State.

Would C-USA think about shifting from a 7 team East Division to a 7 team West Division by adding Texas State? If that decision was made, do they take the plunge and add a 7th team to the East, say Liberty or South Alabama?

Selfishly, I'd love to see UNT, Rice, UTSA, Texas State, and UTEP all in C-USA West. I know there are several folks around GMG who don't think Texas State has "earned" the right to play in the same conference as we do, but I disagree.

• Upvote 1

Would C-USA think about shifting from a 7 team East Division to a 7 team West Division by adding Texas State? If that decision was made, do they take the plunge and add a 7th team to the East, say Liberty or South Alabama?

With Charlotte coming in, C-USA already has 7 teams in the East.

• Upvote 1

Think outside of the box and help you get ready for the future travel costs that need to reduced--go with three new members geographically--one in the east, one in the south, and one in the west. Get South Alabama for the east, ULaLa and Arkansas State in the west. No one can complain about sharing too many markets with another team, you get some good hoops programs, and you can easily get a bowl tie-in with Mobile.

Old Dominion, Marshall, Charlotte, FIU, FAU, WKU, MUTS, USA in the East

UTEP, UNT, UTSA, Rice, Ark State, ULaLa, La Tech and USM in the west

You could then do something even crazier for the entire league and for ADs that cannot schedule worth a damn--you play 7 games in your division, 3 out of division, and 2 OOC games, so if you want to whore out your team for a game and it kills your OOC scheduling, this would at least ensure that youll always have 5 home games, and most likely six if you're AD thinks Portland State, Incarnate word, Texas Southern, and Nicholls State are attractive opponents that people are dying to come watch us play so he pays for them to come here.

Edited by untjim1995

Just blow off the East and create a new 9-10 team Texas, LA, AR*, MS league and be done with it. NT, UTEP, Rice, LaTech, SA, S. Miss, and take your pick of the other 3 or 4. Maybe we would get lucky and one or two of the recent defectors would decide to return. I get tired of realignments, since conference membership seems to go downhill shortly after our arrival. Coincidence?

• Upvote 1

TV markets don't mean diddly unless you have your own network and are charging carriage fees. It's about viewership (some will advocate for a large market because of the HOPE that more people will view but when money changes hands, it's about viewership and by now ESPN, Fox, etc have ample data on everyone).

If markets were driving CUSA why did CUSA take La.Tech and WKU (AState has a larger TV market than WKU), why wasn't Georgia State taken by CUSA? Why did AAC take Tulsa or ECU when there are any number of larger markets available.

If you want to have fun, create a map and label every AAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt school and use a different color for each league.

The secret to realignment will stare right back at you.

1. If you win games (hoops or football), you are desirable.

2. If you aren't winning today but have a history of positive coverage for success you are desirable.

3. Conferences want schools who are close.... but not TOO close. It is apparent that if you are close it is an advantage but not if you are so close that you are competiting for local media attention, casual fans, or butt heads a lot on the recruiting trail. If option 1 is a school 30 miles away and option 2 is a school 600 miles away, choose option 2. If option 1 is a team 200 miles away and option 2 is one 600 miles away, chose option 1.

• Upvote 1

I would take SWTexas State and have them come to Denton in 2015 which would give us 6 home games. And then start the schedules over the next year like we had to do a few years back. They bring good crowds and it would start another rivalry, and another close game when we had to go to San Marcos.

• Upvote 2

No one. We're at 13, why do we need 14? What value do any of the schools being mentioned bring besides "they're the best of what's left"? We're acting like we're one man short, when we're really one too many (FIU).

13 is a bear for scheduling. It means that with an 8 game slate not everyone plays everyone in their division. Also requires that someone always has an open date in league play, which is no fun at all in hoops when you are giving up a better selling Saturday date to sit at home or play some throwaway game like NJIT or UTPA.

Then you have to listen to your basketball coach complain about playing a weeknight game and a tough Saturday game against a team that had a weeknight bye.

• Upvote 1

That Atlanta tv market thoe...

I lived near Atlanta for 13 years, and didn't even know that Ga. State was in Atlanta until the last few years. No one in Georgia cares about anything outside of UGA, and Tech. Ga. State would be a complete waste of time and the TV market doesn't mean a thing for them. (Although, if they do take over Turner Field and make it a football stadium, the damn thing would be pretty dam nice.)

• Upvote 1