Will failure in recruiting lead to another losing season in 2015?

UNT90

We talked at the beginning of the season that this year would be the year that we would find out how well DMac had recruited. This year would be the year his recruits led the program.

Not a good start. At all.

The failure of a former defensive line coach to recruit well on the defensive line, specifically the defensive tackle position, go hand in hand with terrible QB recruiting as the reason this year was a massive failure. A failure that cost this program every bit of momentum gained during last year's bowl championship season.

Recruiting has actually declined under DMac from the Dodge years, even though DMac has so many more advantages than Dodge had during his time at UNT. This is not acceptable, or at least it shouldn't be, but we do have an AD who will do and say anything to keep his job, so all you are going to here from that guy is everything is fine and dandy. Look at the evidence and compare recruiting classes.

DMac infamously said we were the "smallest, slowest team in FBS" when he got here. That was complete BS. What he gave us this year was one of the smallest D lines in FBS. That is a fact.

Things need to change before we find ourselves again in a multi-year slump with records of 2, 3, and 4 wins a year.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Schedule gets a lot tougher in 2015.. We couldn't of asked for a easier schedule this season & we only managed 4 wins. I expect the F_U's to be replaced with the likes of Marshall, WKU,MTSU,etc

True. This year was the absolute easiest schedule that I can remember in years. It may be another 26 years before we see a Texas team that is as weak as this years team, just look what TCU did to them Thursday night. And Indiana just won their 3rd game over an FBS opponent.

Can't believe we just lost our 11th game in 13 years to a start-up program(South Florida, Troy, FAU, UTSA).

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So many recruiting failures on so many fronts. I follow recruiting very closely, and while we've added some solid players the majority of the classes have been failures.

Ill let Macs first class slide and in fact blame RV for it. It took way too long to name the new coach which left Mac very little time to get a class together. What is rally tough to look at is the 2012 class, there may be all of 6-7 kids remaining from Macs first full year of recruiting. From that class maybe 4 kids see regular playing time. Not good at all.

2013 was a small class, there are some players who are getting PT, some a lot, but there aren't any stars in this group to this point. Only 1juco DE and 1 undersized DT.

The 2014 group has looked good thus far with some solid prospects in waiting. I thi k of all classes this should be Macs strongest. A lot will come down to Goree, Rutherford, Means, and Wilson.

2015 has a couple real good prospects in Sam Miller and Ashton Preston. But then you scratch your head at someone like Rodney Bendy. He has all the physical attributes but has never put up good numbers.

• Upvote 1

For clarification, at what point does a start up program become a program?

And down the same track, I was curious about the average age of the UTSA team we played yesterday. Not quite BYU old, but I presume they played a lot of fifth-year seniors and even a few youngster fourth-year seniors.

Not an excuse, but continuity (coaching, players, system, etc) in a football program is a lot like muscle memory in golf. It don't hurt to have it!

GMG

The 2014 group has looked good thus far with some solid prospects in waiting. I thi k of all classes this should be Macs strongest. A lot will come down to Goree, Rutherford, Means, and Wilson.

I don't think there is any doubt that 2014 was the strongest class on signing day. It's mainly because snagged so many good recruits out of East Texas (Goree, Rutherford, Wilson, Willie Ivery and Caleb Chumley.) Whoever is in charge of East Texas needs to be promoted. Make them OC or DC, hell make them the AD if that is what it takes.

For clarification, at what point does a start up program become a program?

And down the same track, I was curious about the average age of the UTSA team we played yesterday. Not quite BYU old, but I presume they played a lot of fifth-year seniors and even a few youngster fourth-year seniors.

Not an excuse, but continuity (coaching, players, system, etc) in a football program is a lot like muscle memory in golf. It don't hurt to have it!

GMG

Who knows, possibly after their first FBS-recruited class has graduated, or after they've played 10 years?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

2015 has a couple real good prospects in Sam Miller and Ashton Preston. But then you scratch your head at someone like Rodney Bendy. He has all the physical attributes but has never put up good numbers.

Justin Northwest HS's Emmanual Moore will be the stud of this class...IF we hold onto him.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/emmanuel-moore/tPFuCfTuEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/default.htm

Rick

So many recruiting failures on so many fronts. I follow recruiting very closely, and while we've added some solid players the majority of the classes have been failures.

Ill let Macs first class slide and in fact blame RV for it. It took way too long to name the new coach which left Mac very little time to get a class together. What is rally tough to look at is the 2012 class, there may be all of 6-7 kids remaining from Macs first full year of recruiting. From that class maybe 4 kids see regular playing time. Not good at all.

2013 was a small class, there are some players who are getting PT, some a lot, but there aren't any stars in this group to this point. Only 1juco DE and 1 undersized DT.

I think another big prospect for 2014 is Chris Miles. He's had the most extensive offer list of any Coach Mccarney signee to date (13 offers). Not to mention, to this point, we've yet to see Mccarney sign a high school offensive tackle who has actually played meaningful snaps. To the point where we ended up having to move Lemon to tackle. Miles has all-conference potential and if he can realize that then he could be a cornerstone o-line type guy, to help give all those special skill guys have time to perform.

As far as 2015, our second best commit is Creighton Barr, IMO. Great prospect, great film, versatility, and most importantly a great offer list. Barr has an offer list similar to all-conference players in recent years. Similar to guys like Orr, Bellazin, and Y'Barbo but better.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Creighton-Barr-64640/RecruitInterests

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Zach-Orr-93786;_ylt=ArMuStPqhdkw3f06XA8LdeZDPZB4

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Aaron-Bellazin-103525;_ylt=AjM1q0cIX0fCLI2tTa6HF6dDPZB4

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Mason-Y%27Barbo-84779

My point is, these are the type of offer lists players who end up becoming all CUSA have out of high school. We always hear how it's hard to recruit here with competition from schools like OU, Texas, A&M, etc. Look at those guys offer lists. You don't need to beat out those schools to get all CUSA level players. There are plenty of kids like that. Not even necessarily guys like Tee Goree and Sam Miller. Kids with solid offer lists but schools you can beat out.

We need to be getting more of those kids, instead of just 1 or 2 a class. Problem is, we can't seem to pull those kids with regularity except when we had Dodge recruiting and when Mac and crew had a 9-win season to pitch. Recruiting has really struggled under Mccarney when we aren't winning.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

I don't think there is any doubt that 2014 was the strongest class on signing day. It's mainly because snagged so many good recruits out of East Texas (Goree, Rutherford, Wilson, Willie Ivery and Caleb Chumley.) Whoever is in charge of East Texas needs to be promoted. Make them OC or DC, hell make them the AD if that is what it takes.

East Texas is the key to our recruiting. There's lower exposure out there than DFW, so recruits out there have smaller offer lists than they would if they played here, this less competition to get better players. Not to mention a lot of talent out there.

East Texas is the key to our recruiting. There's lower exposure out there than DFW, so recruits out there have smaller offer lists than they would if they played here, this less competition to get better players. Not to mention a lot of talent out there.

I think you can say the same about West Texas. Tech is going to get their pick, but after those, there are alot of good players.

After this years performance,did anyone see a reason to be optimistic in 2015? If so, please elaborate, because I don't.

We had no clue we would be good in 2013. My point is you don't really know. We did not know DT was going to have a career year.

Because Mac redshirts so many you don't know if there are some young guys who make an impact.

Based on performance of players on the field and the players we lose you have a point however.

I think you can say the same about West Texas. Tech is going to get their pick, but after those, there are alot of good players.

I don't know. I'm really meh about West Texas. Sure there are a few good, big-time programs like the Abilenes, Odessas, and Midlands. But any good players at those schools will have matching offer lists. The huge difference between East and West Texas is the small schools. Those small East Texas towns produce some studs, who probably won't get great exposure playing for the little schools. West Texas small town schools don't really produce the studs. Definitely not nearly the way East Texas does. East Texas' per capita D1 player per high school player rate is the highest in the state, iirc.

I'm not saying don't recruit out there at all, but you just aren't going to find your star players out in West Texas IMO. Much more likely out in East Texas.

• Upvote 1