Get ready for AM next season

H-towngreen

I really think means is going to show out in the spring and take the starting job

I think you are wrong. I think next year's starter isn't on the roster currently.

I also think one, maybe two, current QBs transfer (either by their own decision or after a heart to heart with the coaching staff).

We shall see.

Edited by UNT90

McNulty made some clutch throws to get us back in the game and give us a chance. He certainly missed on some throws and his height was a disadvantage that led to several blocked passes at the line of scrimmage. But, he had some nice runs and throws and overall made good decisions. He proved to be elusive in the pocket when pass protection started to break down. He looks much better now than he did. And that is good for next year's team, regardless of whether he starts or not. He will either be a much more experienced starter or a very experienced back up, which will be much different than the situation we had going into this year. I'm glad he has one more year with the team. I recall that Derek Thompson really came on in his senior year. Going back in history I can't help but think of Jason Mills who was much maligned until he came on in his senior year and finished his career with one of the gutsiest performances in a victory over Utah State. Show McNulty some support. He earned it this year and especially yesterday. I'll be cheering on the Mean Green next year regardless of who starts at QB, because that's what true fans do...we support our team through good times and challenges.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think you are wrong. I think next year's starter isn't on the roster currently.

I also think one, maybe two, current QBs transfer (either by their own decision or after a heart to heart with the coaching staff).

We shall see.

I've watched Means compete for the job. He developed very fast from the beginning of spring practice to when he appeared in the spring game. At the end of spring ball I rated him ahead of Greer and pretty even with McNulty and Williams. I didn't/couldn't see if his development continued at the same pace during fall practice.

You can hope and/or assume that another QB will be brought in to compete in spring practice. But keep in mind that the person who kept trying to pound that square peg(Greer) into that round hole (QB position) all spring and fall is still on staff.

Now, maybe the coaching staff saw the same potential in Means that I did and decided that no matter what, they were not going to put him out there this year so that he could give the team four good years of play.

So, keeping that in mind, I still rated the QB's at the end of last spring as McNulty/Williams, Means, Cousins, and Greer.

Everyone here might assume that every QB candidate during spring practice gets an equal opportunity to run the 1st team offense at the end practice so that everyone gets an equal amount of time to show what they can do in (semi) real time. Not true. QB candidates were pre-selected to get the most "reps" at the end of practice before practice even started. And based on what I saw in Greer, I have no idea why he earned more reps-time from the beginning of spring practice than say ......Cousins.