Where Was Boomer The Cannon?

FirefightnRick

This has been brought up before. But It's my understanding that the ROTC has made overtures about being in charge of the cannon. Given the tenuous state of the Talons, I can't understand why that hasn't happened by now. Or even 5 minutes after the original offer was made.

That would make a lot of sense, especially if the Talons are having such a hard time getting into the spirit of a NT football game!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Anyone who gives two shits about our traditions need to send a polite email to Dr. Elizabeth With and ask why Boomer was not there last night on Senior Night. Kindly explain to her that as an alumn why you feel strongly on the importance that our Traditions such as Boomer not be left up to the interpretation of individuals, and why you expect they to be carried out and maintained, regardless of weather.

Elizabeth.With@unt.edu

I assure you, Boomer was designed to operate in the rain. It simply requires a longer clean up afterward. But even in the worst conditions, a simple pop up tent can be utilized to sustain operation throughout the game.

Rick

• Upvote 5

Anyone who gives two shits about our traditions need to send a polite email to Dr. Elizabeth With and ask why Boomer was not there last night on Senior Night. Kindly explain to her that as an alumn why you feel strongly on the importance that our Traditions such as Boomer not be left up to the interpretation of individuals, and why you expect they to be carried out and maintained, regardless of weather.

Elizabeth.With@unt.edu

I assure you, Boomer was designed to operate in the rain. It simply requires a longer clean up afterward. But even in the worst conditions, a simple pop up tent can be utilized to sustain operation throughout the game.

Rick

And if they don't have a tent for the cannon, I will volunteer to buy one.

• Upvote 2

This has been brought up before. But It's my understanding that the ROTC has made overtures about being in charge of the cannon. Given the tenuous state of the Talons, I can't understand why that hasn't happened by now. Or even 5 minutes after the original offer was made.

What is the "tenuous state of the Talons?"

What is the "tenuous state of the Talons?"

In the last four years FFR has gotten feedback that they barely get enough together in the summer/fall to have cannon practice. Besides, how many Talons do you see at the games this year other than the minimal amount to fire the cannon? The Talons used to have at least a 20+ member presence at games.

That would make a lot of sense, especially if the Talons are having such a hard time getting into the spirit of a NT football game!

Well, if that's the case then since they are supposed to be the MAIN SPIRIT GROUP at NT that would be the ultimate in sad ironies.

I don't know if you were intentionally trying to be funny, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. So, good job!

Edited by SilverEagle

In the last four years FFR has gotten feedback that they barely get enough together in the summer/fall to have cannon practice. Besides, how many Talons do you see at the games this year other than the minimal amount to fire the cannon? The Talons used to have at least a 20+ member presence at games.

They probably still do. If you're not on cannon crew you suit in the stands.

And they are invisible. Have been for years. I am amazed they are able to build the bonfire.

I don't. Fall of '98, we managed to build a Bonfire with like eight people doing 85% of the work. And half the point of Talons is for them to be obsolete. One of our pledges many, many years ago had a great thought. The purpose of Talons should be to make it to where Talons is hardly even needed - because all the students are that spirited.

This was back in the late 90's when often times the student side of Fouts would maybe be 250 people.

Edited by CMJ

SilverEagle, I'm not usually one to criticize students but other than Boomer I just haven't seen the Talons much in the last few years. There certainly could be very valid reasons for that, but sitting where I do I haven't seen much evidence the Talons still exist. I think I sit about five or so rows behind you, lower bowl middle section. My wife and I are on the top row.

If the ROTC wants to man Boomer, then let them!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1